Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

Sony Finally Sending Someone to Testify Before Congress

• 55 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Maybe Congress is getting free Plus accounts.

Not long after PlayStation Network went down and Sony admitted the personal information of 77 million accounts was compromised, Congress came a knockin', requesting an executive to appear for questioning. Sony answered the congressional subcommittee's list of questions, but declined the invitation, citing the company's all-hands-on-deck response.

Next Tuesday, Sony will drop in.

The Atlantic reports Sony Network Entertainment president Tim Schaff will appear before the House Energy and Commerce Committee's subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade.

The subcommittee is investigating data breaches at Sony and Epsilon, and plans to introduce legislation to provide additional protections to consumers in "the next few weeks."

"Chairman [Bono Mack] firmly believes that the lessons learned from both the Sony and Epsilon experiences can be instructive and guide us as we develop comprehensive data protection legislation," said a subcommittee spokesperson.

Naturally, I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Not long after PlayStation Network went down and Sony admitted the personal information of 77 million accounts was compromised, Congress came a knockin', requesting an executive to appear for questioning. Sony answered the congressional subcommittee's list of questions, but declined the invitation, citing the company's all-hands-on-deck response.

Next Tuesday, Sony will drop in.

The Atlantic reports Sony Network Entertainment president Tim Schaff will appear before the House Energy and Commerce Committee's subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing, and Trade.

The subcommittee is investigating data breaches at Sony and Epsilon, and plans to introduce legislation to provide additional protections to consumers in "the next few weeks."

"Chairman [Bono Mack] firmly believes that the lessons learned from both the Sony and Epsilon experiences can be instructive and guide us as we develop comprehensive data protection legislation," said a subcommittee spokesperson.

Naturally, I'll be keeping a close eye on this.

Xyber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Xyber

Cool

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#3  Edited By Little_Socrates

At least shit isn't broke anymore.

Phoenix87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Phoenix87

the wheels of justice grind slowly but exceedingly fine.

Avatar image for rampageassassin
    RampageAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By RampageAssassin

I hope they are paying for the trip

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By MrMazz

should of sent Butler

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By louiedog

I hope Sony turns it around and puts the system on trial.

Avatar image for cackatalltrades
    cackatalltrades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cackatalltrades

They should send Kevin Butler

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree

"resetting", Patrick.

Avatar image for aperturesilence
    ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ApertureSilence
    @Little_Socrates: Can't buy anything from the PSN store. Shit still broke.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By gamb1t

when am i getting my free shit from sony?

Nyro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nyro

Wait...  Tim Schaff?

lockload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By lockload
    @devil_spawn666: That would be great but would probably end up with him in jail
    Sidfiou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sidfiou

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I read it as though they were sending out Tim Schafer. My next thought was "Well, at least it will be humorous." 

I need more coffee.

Baraka528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Baraka528

why the hell is everyone after sony so hard.. .i really don't get it they did nothing wrong their servers were 100% fine and working. THEY GOT HACKED, A CRIME WAS COMMITTED AGAINST THEM... WHY are they at fault... sure they could have taken better precautions but i mean... HACKERS WILL FIND A WAY!! its the HACKERS that should be scorned. imo.

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Norusdog
    @louiedog said:
    oh look, just another gov't hating tard.  This makes no sense and only makes you look like a complete incompetent moron.  I'm not saying the gov't is good, I'm not even saying they're competent.  Hell they're a bunch of fucking morons too.  But to say you hope sony turns it around is just downright fucking idiotic.

This is sony's shit and they need to answer for it.  Don't be a fucking twit about it because you may hate the gov't.  And what would Sony put them on trial for? allowing sony to be retarded morons?
    TorMasturba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TorMasturba
    @Sidfiou said:

Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I read it as though they were sending out Tim Schafer. My next thought was "Well, at least it will be humorous."  I need more coffee.

Or probably to go to sleep maybe. lol
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Norusdog said:
    @louiedog said:
    oh look, just another gov't hating tard.  This makes no sense and only makes you look like a complete incompetent moron.  I'm not saying the gov't is good, I'm not even saying they're competent.  Hell they're a bunch of fucking morons too.  But to say you hope sony turns it around is just downright fucking idiotic.  This is sony's shit and they need to answer for it.  Don't be a fucking twit about it because you may hate the gov't.  And what would Sony put them on trial for? allowing sony to be retarded morons?
    I gather you like the words 'retarded' and 'moron'. Expand your vocabulary.
    Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Norusdog
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @Norusdog said:
    @louiedog said:
    oh look, just another gov't hating tard.  This makes no sense and only makes you look like a complete incompetent moron.  I'm not saying the gov't is good, I'm not even saying they're competent.  Hell they're a bunch of fucking morons too.  But to say you hope sony turns it around is just downright fucking idiotic.  This is sony's shit and they need to answer for it.  Don't be a fucking twit about it because you may hate the gov't.  And what would Sony put them on trial for? allowing sony to be retarded morons?
    you bore me.   internet tough guy.
    PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PrivateIronTFU
    @Norusdog said:
    @PrivateIronTFU said:
    @Norusdog said:
    @louiedog said:
    you bore me.   internet tough guy.
    Aww. That's too bad. I was hoping to have an intelligent and witty discussion with you. Oh well.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mnzy
    @Baraka528 said:
    why the hell is everyone after sony so hard.. .i really don't get it they did nothing wrong their servers were 100% fine and working. THEY GOT HACKED, A CRIME WAS COMMITTED AGAINST THEM... WHY are they at fault... sure they could have taken better precautions but i mean... HACKERS WILL FIND A WAY!! its the HACKERS that should be scorned. imo.
    Maybe look at it like that: your money got stolen because your bank didn't lock its safe.
    The robbers are still the bad guys, but you wouldn't let your bank off the hook.
    Frank_Mann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Frank_Mann
    @Baraka528: So if a bank gets robbed and they don't employ a guard  or more than a padlock on the vault it's just the robbers fault? The bank shouldn't have to answer to why they had no security, or minimal security at best, we just give them a pass and all those people who lost money are just shit out of luck? Also in this case the bank wouldn't be FDIC, so yeah, hooray negligence.  

Edit: you beat me to it mzny.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Should've sent Kevin Butlet AND Nolan North. Or rather send a cutout of Nathan Drake and have Nolan North do voiceovers from under the desk.

it'll be the most charming day in Congressional history.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By saddlebrown
    @Frank_Mann@mnzy: I don't think any of us are qualified to really speak on what security the "bank" really had in place.
    Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette
    @PrimeSynergy said:
    Should've sent Kevin Butlet AND Nolan North. Or rather send a cutout of Nathan Drake and have Nolan North do voiceovers from under the desk.  it'll be the most charming day in Congressional history.
    Better yet, no one else shows up and Nolan North just voices the Congress.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mnzy
    @whatisdelicious said:
    @Frank_Mann@mnzy: I don't think any of us are qualified to really speak on what security the "bank" really had in place.
    Personal data was not encrypted. I think that's enough.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Example1013
    @Norusdog said:
    @louiedog said:
    Why should Sony have to answer to the government? They didn't breach a contract. At most, they violated the trust of millions of people. Guess what? That's not against the law. This whole thing is the fault of everyone involved: it's Sony's fault for having shitty security, and it's consumers' faults for trusting that Sony didn't have shitty security, without a guarantee or even promise of compensation. 

You know what Sony legally owes its customers for this? Absolutely fucking nothing. Sony is providing identity theft protection and free games because they're not fucking stupid and want to keep their company profitable, but they're not obligated to do jack shit about this. And that's the way it should be. The government doesn't need to be monitoring every little fucking thing that happens in this country, and the government shouldn't have the power to affect a corporation's business because that corporation "isn't secure enough". It's an arbitrary distinction that can be exploited politically. 

What if Bill Gates were elected President? Then he'd have a very real, direct impact over Sony's ability to stay profitable. 

Sony can put them on trial for being Orwellian bastards looking to stick a tendril into every last little crevice. The government may not currently be doing this, but anything that allows them to should be stopped. Just because they can but don't now doesn't mean they won't in the future.
    saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By saddlebrown
    @mnzy: From Sony's Q&A #1 on the subject: "The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack." 

So again, neither of us are qualified on whether or not that "very sophisticated security system" really was as "sophisticated" as they claim. Apparently it was "very."
    admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By admanb
    @whatisdelicious said:
    @mnzy: From Sony's Q&A #1 on the subject: "The personal data table, which is a separate data set, was not encrypted, but was, of course, behind a very sophisticated security system that was breached in a malicious attack." 

So again, neither of us are qualified on whether or not that "very sophisticated security system" really was as "sophisticated" as they claim. Apparently it was "very."
    Presumably the hacker's attack methods were very, very sophisticated.
    admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By admanb
    @louiedog said:
    Yeah! Put the system on trial! Take down the man! Burn the scaffolding!

Wait, that actually makes no sense.
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By RobotHamster

For a second I thought they were sending Tim Schaffer.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By saddlebrown
    @admanb: And "aggressive." Don't forget "aggressive." See now, if Sony's security system had been "very, very sophisticated" and "very aggressive," they wouldn't be in this mess. Maybe you've got a point.
    admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By admanb
    @whatisdelicious: I laughed at work. *thumbs up*
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tourgen

Good.  We need some good, strong consumer protection laws in place now or online business is going to get tougher for everyone.

Server security isn't rocket science.  People out there know how to do it right.  If you're going to handle and RETAIN customer financial information you should have some minimal standard of security in place.  An unpatched Apache web server with no firewall does not cut it.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By xpgamer7

So they'll learn to be safer...that's the most simplified response I've heard yet.

KarlHungus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KarlHungus
    @devil_spawn666: Yeah, but only under the condition that he introduces himself as VP of Congress.
    SolracFB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SolracFB

Please tell me they sent Kratos

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EuanDewar

I bet a lot of people, including myself read that as "Tim Schafer"

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By CastroCasper

I don't know why, but the tagline to this story made me laugh pretty hard.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @example1013 said:

Why should Sony have to answer to the government? They didn't breach a contract. At most, they violated the trust of millions of people. Guess what? That's not against the law.

I believe there's a number of circumstances where a company like Sony could be charged with some form of negligence which is against the law.  GB law dudes?

@Frank_Mann said:

@Baraka528: So if a bank gets robbed and they don't employ a guard  or more than a padlock on the vault it's just the robbers fault? The bank shouldn't have to answer to why they had no security, or minimal security at best, we just give them a pass and all those people who lost money are just shit out of luck? Also in this case the bank wouldn't be FDIC, so yeah, hooray negligence.   Edit: you beat me to it mzny.

You do know that they don't put your money in their vault right?
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Example1013
    @ProfessorEss said:
    @example1013 said:

Why should Sony have to answer to the government? They didn't breach a contract. At most, they violated the trust of millions of people. Guess what? That's not against the law.

I believe there's a number of circumstances where a company like Sony could be charged with some form of negligence which is against the law.  GB law dudes?

Criminal negligence is generally used in cases where people die. Did anyone die?
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @example1013 said:
    @ProfessorEss said:
    @example1013 said:

Criminal negligence is generally used in cases where people die. Did anyone die?
    I don't know. Maybe?
    I was kinda asking more than anything.
    Is it strictly on a "someone died" basis?
    WoodenPlatypus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WoodenPlatypus

Testify!
    thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By thepantheon

It's spelt "resetting"

"resetting" his PS3 password.

Yehaw!

cjmabry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By cjmabry

They should send Kevin Butler.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#46  Edited By Hailinel
    @Little_Socrates said:
    Unless you want to get on the PSN store.
    KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By KingX
    @Hailinel said:
    @Little_Socrates said:
    Unless you want to get on the PSN store.
    and unless you want to play dirt 3 online
    solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By solidejake
    @devil_spawn666 said:
    They should send Kevin Butler
    This is the most genius idea I've ever seen.
    Chandelure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Chandelure

And as we speak, Sony is still getting hacked.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By jorbear

They should release a downloadable case for L.A. Noire about this. 
    I would buy that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.