Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PS3)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is the online service by Sony Computer Entertainment, providing downloads of games, trailers, themes and much more. The service is free, but also offers a paid version for various benefits.

System Update Woes

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BraveToaster

It's been a few months since I turned on my Playstation 3, so it's no surprise that I have to update my system in order to sign into PSN. Last night, while downloading system update 4.21, I received a network error that I could not connect to the network. The error popped up at the 24% download mark. I tried again today and the same error popped up at 24%. I checked my network and tested my network connection using my Xbox 360 and I had no issues with downloading. I rarely have these issues with my other consoles. My internet connection isn't terrible, and it seems like I always have network issues with my PS3.

Many people have issues with the PS3's internet connection. I'm at the point where I ask myself, why do I still have this thing? Port Forwarding hasn't alleviated the problem ever since I've had the console. When trying to take advantage of the free games after last year's PSN debacle, I was unable to choose my games. God forbid I try to download a game on PSN; the download speed is painfully slow, especially when the connection keeps disconnecting. I really like the idea of playing over for free Playstation Network, but I'm tired of losing my connection in the middle of multi-player matches. I really don't want to renew my Xbox Live account just to play multi-player. When you buy something from a big company like Sony, you expect all of the components to work satisfactorily. It's a frustrating predicament that could be rectified by finding something more productive to do, but I love me some games. The people over at Sony have been well aware of these issues for quite some time, but it seems as though nothing has been done to fix this. I understand that here in the U.S., Sony uses cheap servers for PSN. What can the consumers do to get them to listen? Do we even have a right to complain if PSN is a free service?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By laserbolts

You do have a right to complain because online connectivity is a feature of the ps3 you bought. I am in the same boat as you haven't played my ps3 in 6 months and would rather not have to deal with downloading updates so it will remain off.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I could relate if I experienced the same issues you're having, but I never have had any issues with PSN. Really, the only trouble I've experienced with the service is the PSN trophy syncing taking a long time to complete sometimes. But now that's no longer a problem and neither are firmware updates with the automatic updates via PSN+ (they were more of an inconvenience than anything major when I wasn't a Plus member).

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BraveToaster

@laserbolts: Yes, I don't play my PS3 for the same reason. If I didn't have this issue, I would actually buy more games for it. It's a frustrating experience, but I don't want to just get rid of my console.

@FluxWaveZ: I would like to try out PS+, and I'm sure there are a lot of people who want to, but can't because of PSN issues. If this issue is as common as I think it is, Sony is missing out on a lot of potential PS+ members.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Chop

@laserbolts said:

You do have a right to complain because online connectivity is a feature of the ps3 you bought. I am in the same boat as you haven't played my ps3 in 6 months and would rather not have to deal with downloading updates so it will remain off.

Yup, same deal for me. I went to play my ps3 a couple months ago and, of course, I got the "a system update is required" bullshit. As soon as that popped up, I shut the system down and I haven't bothered with it since.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.