Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (PSP)

Platform »

This platform is specifically for PSP releases that are made available as digital downloads via the PlayStation Store. The Store includes PSP games (some exclusive to PSN), PSP Minis, PSone Classics, trailers, movies, TV shows, and digital comics.

Looking into buying a PSP

Navarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Navarine

I've always really wanted to play some of the Sony exclusive games. Particularly Monster Hunter and some of the FF stuff the PSP has. I'm considering buying a PSP 3000 brand new, but the deals I see on 2000 models used or off of craigslist. Do any of you have any bad experiences with used models? Thanks for the help.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

At this point, I couldn't really recommend getting a PSP. It's a dead system that's about to be replaced by the Vita, which is completely backwards compatible with digital PSP games (so buying any UMD's is a waste). I think you'd be much better just holding off and saving for one of those and then going back and buying all of the old PSP games you missed.

They're also soon to be releasing HD ports of a lot of the popular PSP games for the PS3.. MGS: Peace Walker and Monster Hunter amongst them.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wrighteous86

At this point, I'd think of waiting for the Vita, unless you can get a really good deal on a PSP.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By biospank

@WinterSnowblind said:

At this point, I couldn't really recommend getting a PSP. It's a dead system that's about to be replaced by the Vita, which is completely backwards compatible with digital PSP games (so buying any UMD's is a waste). I think you'd be much better just holding off and saving for one of those and then going back and buying all of the old PSP games you missed.

They're also soon to be releasing HD ports of a lot of the popular PSP games for the PS3.. MGS: Peace Walker and Monster Hunter amongst them.

I dont think that monster hunter 3rd portable hd is coming to the west

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Sooperspy

Wait for the Vita.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Afroman269

Unless you don't want one, I say just wait for the Vita.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

I personally use my PSP to play all my PS1 games off of the PSN store. So for that, I love it.

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By TheWyotee93

I bought a pspgo. I really do like it but I wish I had known the Vita was coming

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@biospank said:

@WinterSnowblind said:

I dont think that monster hunter 3rd portable hd is coming to the west

I don't see why it wouldn't. Capcom confirmed it would be released in English.. just not for the PSP.

They either meant for the Vita or (much more likely now) the PS3. The games aren't the huge sellers they are in Japan, but they do well enough to do a quick release.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mosespippy

PSP is a great system with a large library of great games. Unfortunately most of the stores I've been to don't have a great selection of PSP games on their shelves. My local HMV has their entire PSP section in the bargain bin now, even the new releases that came out recently. Toy's R Us and EB are both down to half a shelf of games. So either get a Go or a large memory stick because the online store is where you'll find the games you're looking for (unless you want Kingdom Hearts). I haven't tried a used PSP because I never had any trouble with my launch system. My friend got a used one for $40 and loves it though. I'd say if you are getting one used make sure you play it first to see if there are any dead pixels and all the buttons work. 

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Von

I bought a PSP just for Monster Hunter, only to find out that the controls were utterly horrible. Then I bought LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo, Killzone Liberation and Valkyria Chronicles and those games made the initial purchase worthwhile. 

Vao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vao

If theirs a list of games that you wanna play then i would say go for it. I would suggest finding a used one for cheap but you can find new ones at good deals.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang

How cheap is it? Cause £40 is as far as I would go if I wanted one, whic I do not!

Navarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Navarine

Thanks for the info guys! Ya I'm starting to think I'll wait for the Vita. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.