Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Network (Vita)

Platform »

The PlayStation Network is Sony's digital storefront for delivering games, add-ons, and other content. This specific platform page focuses on the PlayStation Vita version of said storefront.

New Platform: PSNV

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

Now that the first North American Vita games have appeared in Sony's online store (even though they're only available if you search directly for them) and we've had a chance to see how they'll surface, I've made a new platform page to cover digital releases on the PlayStation Vita. It's "PlayStation Network (Vita)" or "PSNV."

This platform tag is to be used for games that appear in the PlayStation Store, whether they're available at retail or not. So, going forward, games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss will be tagged with both VITA and PSNV. Super Stardust Delta, as a digital-only release, only gets the PSNV designator. We split these platforms in order to help people who may only be interested in seeing what's available for download (in case they hate leaving the house) or, in the opposite case, people who think that entering their credit card into the Internet is a sketchy idea and prefer to buy physical things. Maybe not the worst idea in this specific case, I suppose. I will admit, it's not the most elegant data solution in the world, but it's not without its purpose.

Either way, it doesn't currently show up in the Sony colors in various lists. I'll see if I can get those dudes to correct that in the morning.

(And while I'm on the topic of platforms, IPOD is for click-wheel iPod games, not for iPod Touch games. Those just go under iPhone. Universal iOS apps get tagged as both iPad and iPhone. Cool?)

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jeff

Now that the first North American Vita games have appeared in Sony's online store (even though they're only available if you search directly for them) and we've had a chance to see how they'll surface, I've made a new platform page to cover digital releases on the PlayStation Vita. It's "PlayStation Network (Vita)" or "PSNV."

This platform tag is to be used for games that appear in the PlayStation Store, whether they're available at retail or not. So, going forward, games like Uncharted: Golden Abyss will be tagged with both VITA and PSNV. Super Stardust Delta, as a digital-only release, only gets the PSNV designator. We split these platforms in order to help people who may only be interested in seeing what's available for download (in case they hate leaving the house) or, in the opposite case, people who think that entering their credit card into the Internet is a sketchy idea and prefer to buy physical things. Maybe not the worst idea in this specific case, I suppose. I will admit, it's not the most elegant data solution in the world, but it's not without its purpose.

Either way, it doesn't currently show up in the Sony colors in various lists. I'll see if I can get those dudes to correct that in the morning.

(And while I'm on the topic of platforms, IPOD is for click-wheel iPod games, not for iPod Touch games. Those just go under iPhone. Universal iOS apps get tagged as both iPad and iPhone. Cool?)

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By EVO

Shouldn't it be PSVN?

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jeff

No. It's the PlayStation Network. Not the PlayStation Vita Network.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By EVO

Yeah, I suppose. PSNV just doesn't roll off the tongue.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah because its still the same store

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Doesn't the name change from PSN to SEN affect this?

Wait, no, I'm dumb, the store name is staying the same and only the account name is changing, right?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By N7
    @dekkadekkadekka said:

Doesn't the name change from PSN to SEN affect this?

Wait, no, I'm dumb, the store name is staying the same and only the account name is changing, right?

Yeah. From what I can recall, the Playstation Network is still the PSN. It's just the accounts that are changing over to Sony Entertainment Network. So the PSN still lives.
    Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Damn, I really thought this was about the new follow up to the hit PlayStation 3 titled PlayStation 3: New Vegas.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By huntad

Hey guys, acronyms.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#10  Edited By Mento

Now I just want to play a game called SeaQuest PSNV. Using the touchpad on the back to stroke the dolphin.

This makes sense though, given what you're doing with the other online stores.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By mustachioeugene

@Mento said:

Now I just want to play a game called SeaQuest PSNV. Using the touchpad on the back to stroke the dolphin.

Tell me more about the dolphin stroking....

Not_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Not_Rage

@Jeff said:

Yeah I remember once sorting out that platform to remove the iOS games, then doing it again 6 months later when it got filled up again with iOS games. I needs to be done again.

I've spent some time adding iPod games to do database, and since they don't make them anymore, I'm pretty confident that every game released to the iPod has been created and added to that platform. If there was a way to "lock" a platform to prevent games from being added, I think that would help the confusion.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By m1k3

PS-envy. like the cell phone right?

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 28

#14  Edited By Legend

videogames

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

whoa now, why don't you take a seat right over there. Just what were you planning to do with this dolphin?

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

whoa now, why don't you take a seat right over there. Just what were you planning to do with this dolphin?

Stroke it?
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Enigma777

@Ghostiet said:

@Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

Stroke it?

You do realize that's illegal in 13 states, right?

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By Phatmac

Thanks for the update Jeff!

jjnen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jjnen

I may have misunderstood but aren't all Vita games supposed to be released in PSN?

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Confusing shit. However, when the eshop exists why do other digital platforms even try?!

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghostiet
    @Enigma777 said:

@Ghostiet said:

@Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

Stroke it?

Not if they enjoy it, or so I was told.
    obinice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By obinice
    @Enigma777

@Ghostiet said:

@Oni

@mustachioeugene said:

@Mento said:

Stroke it?

I live in the UK. Let's do this.
    Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sbaitso

Every time I read PSNV it just makes me think "Penis Envy" in my head.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#24  Edited By Brackynews

@Rappelsiini said:

I may have misunderstood but aren't all Vita games supposed to be released in PSN?

Sounds right. In theory there should be more PSNV digital games than VITA boxed games in the database.

It will be interesting to see how the backwards compatibility shakes out with PS1 and PS2 titles. I will be more surprised if it doesn't happen sometime in the next 5 years.

Avatar image for belligerentengine
    BelligerentEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sbaitso said:

Every time I read PSNV it just makes me think "Penis Envy" in my head.

Oh god what have you done!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#26  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Jeff said:

No. It's the PlayStation Network. Not the PlayStation Vita Network.

But Giant Bomb's existing abbreviations for the PS3 and PSP networks are PS3N and PSPN. Based on this comment, should those not be fixed?
    Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Toxeia

Way to necro a thread =( Not that I have any money invested into the Sony ecosystem, but it seems like saying a game comes out on the "PS3N and PSVN" is better than saying it comes out on "PSN but not for the following systems:" like the way games are out for the PS3/Xbox360. You wouldn't say "Halo Reach now out on consoles (except for PS3, Wii, etc. etc.)"

sthusby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sthusby

K for Kool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.