Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Plus Collection

Concept »

PlayStation Plus Collection gives PlayStation 5 owners access to download and play a selection of PlayStation 4 classics as part of their PlayStation Plus subscription.

The PlayStation Plus Collection is going away May 9th

Abs_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Sony has informed PS Plus Subscribers via email that the PS Plus Collection games will not be available after May 9th 2023

If you haven’t already then add these games to your library as they will still be accessible with an PS Plus Subscription.

This is most likely a means by Sony for these games to move into the higher tiers of PS Plus to try and entice subscribers in that direction.

In my opinion it sucks that a cool benefit for people that wanted a baseline/entry level subscription is going away. Nothing last forever though does it.

Has anyone from this community caught up with any of these titles from this service because they never played them first time around? Does anyone plan to upgrade their PS Plus Subscription if any of these games are added to the service? Or are you like me just annoyed that a cool benefit is being withdrawn.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#2 Marino  Staff  Online

It was intended as a perk for early adopters of the PS5. It probably only lasted this long because of the scarcity of the consoles. Now they're more readily available, so makes sense to stop the free bonus games.

sunie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

It does make sense, I suppose. I never really did anything with them since I already owned most of the games. May is at least far enough away for folks to claim them.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marino: Why would you want to offer a perk for something that was so popular that you couldn't keep it in stock (i.e. they are already selling at above your capacity to produce them) and then take it away when that thing becomes widely available (i.e. now you have extra to sell so want to induce people to buy.)

That seems like backwards business!

Avatar image for spacemanspiff00
    spacemanspiff00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that its likely because of the new Plus tiers and that stuff will just be added there to entice you to spend more. Seems like a current Sony kinda move. I was looking at Fallout 4 and thinking there's no way this stays on the service when its getting a PS5 update this year considering how they handled the Witcher 3 upgrade. Good luck getting that on a good sale in the near future.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seems like a weird thing to suddenly slam the door shut on, but i guess if they want to funnel everyone into the new subscription tiers they can use these games as incentive.

but also- i'm not sure how many folks actually get burned by this. i guess if you're a new entrant to the PlayStation ecosystem and PS5 is your first console- but there's probably going to be a cheap (if not free) way to play something like Bloodborne, either when it's on sale or via an PS+ Extra sub.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@bigsocrates: Because supply couldn't meet demand because of chokepoints in the chain, not because of overwhelming demand.

PS5 has sold just fine, but if it weren't for the pandemic, it probably wouldn't have run into the same long-term scarcity.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadpool: That doesn't matter, though. You don't do free giveaways to juice sales of a product that you don't have enough of to sell regardless of why. And you certainly don't end those promotions just after you find yourself with enough.

My guess is the original promotion was meant to get every PS5 owner signed up to PS+ and also to advertise backwards compatibility as a feature because Xbox was ahead in that. Now that PS+ strategy has changed the promotion has too.

They were doing a lot to push PS+ on PS5 when the system first launched.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.