Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Plus

Concept »

PlayStation Plus is a premium PlayStation Network subscription service.

Are you a Playstation Plus subscriber?

• 74 results
    Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#1  Edited By Kidavenger

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I have both a vita and PS3 and don't subscribe, paying a fee to get 'free' games doesn't make sense to me.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Kidavenger

Additionally, are you planning on renewing or getting a subscription in the future?

I'm just curious about how well it's PS+ is doing; I would be interested in reading a story by Patrick interviewing some of the developers that have participated in the program to see how it panned out for them.

It seems like they will be having 16 games up at a time going forward; say Sony takes a 20% admin fee, that leaves $4 split between 16 parties or $0.25 each per month, how many subscribers are needed to make that worthwhile to the developers? Has PS+ hit that yet? It adds up pretty quick if a game is left up for a few months.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

Yep, been subbed to PS+ for quite some time. It's an awesome deal/service.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I think PS+ is one of the best services going around on console and if Microsoft want to create something similar then by all means I might renew my sub for Xbox Live.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By nightriff

I have both so I probably should...

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Kerned

@BestUsernameEver: $50 gets you access to a bunch of games. Have you ever rented a game? Same concept. I don't know why people get hung up on the idea of paying for a service.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pr1mus

I subscribed for 15 months but haven't renewed. I just don't use my PS3 enough anymore. Most of my gaming has been done on the PC for more than a year now.

It's still a great service for the price. It gives incredible value.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Lukeweizer

I am a PS+ subscriber, but I don't know if I'm going to renew. Yes, free games are great. But I already own 90% of the free games they release. The other 10% is stuff I'm no interested in. I'm going to need more than just free games & auto updates for $50 a year.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By yakov456

Yes. And totally worth every penny.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I am, I have been since it launched, but it only recently started to really provide excellent content. It is worth a lot more than what we pay, that's for sure.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By subject2change

Yes I have one. I have it on the 3 month billing cycle. I don't really utilize it much but for 6 bucks a month, it doesn't really phase me.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By fodigga

@BestUsernameEver: You're paying less than the price of one new game for one year and you get access to a few games every month. How does that not sound like a good deal to you?

This month alone in the U.S. we have gotten Bioshock 2, Street Fighter 4, and Rochard, and that is only the first 2 weeks of the month.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BlackLagoon

I've had it for 2 years now, and I'm very happy with it. Generally resubscribe for a year whenever there's a discount, so it's been even better value for me.

DumlaoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DumlaoX

I have had it since they started doing the "Instant Game Collection" thing back at E3. For me, that's when the service started to show some value. Worst case scenario, the discounts provided by the service helps the subscription pay for itself. Even though I'm more of a 360 gamer than a PS3/Vita one, I'd consider renewing the subscription as long as the offers remain strong.

IAmADwagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By IAmADwagon

I signed up back in March when Sly Cooper 1 was free, and loved it , but I built a fairly high-end PC over the summer and have barely turned my PS3 on since then, so I let it lapse a couple of months ago.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vikingdeath1

I just signed up to get Just Cause 2 and Space Marine and I've gotten around 15 other games I've really enjoyed since!

well worth 50 dollars.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Kerned said:

@BestUsernameEver: $50 gets you access to a bunch of games. Have you ever rented a game? Same concept. I don't know why people get hung up on the idea of paying for a service.

I've had this conversation every time I mention PSplus, I'd rather get specific games I want for cheap, than have to spend money every month just to keep the few games I like on my PS3.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@thebroken said:

@BestUsernameEver: You're paying less than the price of one new game for one year and you get access to a few games every month. How does that not sound like a good deal to you?

This month alone in the U.S. we have gotten Bioshock 2, Street Fighter 4, and Rochard, and that is only the first 2 weeks of the month.

Because you're paying that price every single month, and what if there's a month with games I don't like at all? Then that's essentially money down the drain, and I have to keep paying it if I want to keep my other 'free' games.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Snail

I own a PS3, and although I haven't subscribed to PS+ I'm hoping for a monthly offer that really convinces me. Haven't checked the EU offer for November yet, I think, so who knows, that might do it.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Freshbandito

@BestUsernameEver said:

@thebroken said:

Because you're paying that price every single month, and what if there's a month with games I don't like at all? Then that's essentially money down the drain, and I have to keep paying it if I want to keep my other 'free' games.

It's the price of one game to cover a whole year, not a monthly charge of £40-$60. The money I've saved with the playstation+ discount it gives you on titles new and old each week alone has already recouped me alot more than I paid for my year's worth of ps+ let alone all the awesome free games, wouldn't have played crysis 2 or arkham city if not for ps+. It may not be for everyone but it's been an amazing deal for me.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#22  Edited By alistercat

I have a vita, and yes.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By colourful_hippie

I have both a Vita and a PS3 and I don't have Plus because the perks don't really benefit me. I've already played the free games they are passing out and that won't change cuz I've moved to PC and if I want to play a game on PS3 I'll just get it on the spot. The Vita deals though have interested me but I won't be taking advantage of them anytime soon cuz I don't feel like getting a bigger memory card just yet.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Freshbandito said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@thebroken said:

It's the price of one game to cover a whole year, not a monthly charge of £40-$60. The money I've saved with the playstation+ discount it gives you on titles new and old each week alone has already recouped me alot more than I paid for my year's worth of ps+ let alone all the awesome free games, wouldn't have played crysis 2 or arkham city if not for ps+. It may not be for everyone but it's been an amazing deal for me.

I didn't say it was a monthly charge of a full retail game, I said even though that price is low, it's still locking into a monthly fee no matter what.

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoeyIA

I have a PS3, I'd like to get a Vita, and I'm a PS+ subscriber. I subscribed a little while after E3, I don't remember if it was on sale or not. It has given me a chance to play games I wouldn't normally play. I would have never tried Little Big Planet but LBP2 was one of the free games a while back. I was dead set on getting Double Dragon Neon for 360 but it was free on PS+ and I ended up hating it, so that saved me some money.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By slax

Yup. It filled up my Vita catalog on the cheap.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ravenlight

Wow, I didn't expect such big numbers. I wonder how the Xbox-equivalent numbers look in comparison.

Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Slay3r1583

I had been thinking about getting it for a while. Once they added Vita support I finally bought a year subscription.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By fodigga

@BestUsernameEver said:

@thebroken said:

Its not like you're paying $50 a month. When you do the month its only $4 per month. So if you pay for a whole year subscription and they put up two $60 retail games that you want to play, aren't you better off being a subscriber now than if you went out and bought those same games separately for full price, or even half price. Of course I'm coming from a place where I don't replay games and I don't play much multiplayer, but if PS+ offered me a game I really enjoyed and wanted to play more of even after my subscription is over, then I could buy a cheap used copy and still have saved money.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kidavenger

@Ravenlight said:

Wow, I didn't expect such big numbers. I wonder how the Xbox-equivalent numbers look in comparison.

Me too, I decided against posting a Live Gold thread today because I didn't want this to turn into a console war shit show, but maybe in a few days after this one dies down, or someone else will just do it.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By superfriend

Won´t get a Vita after being burned by the fucking PSP, but Plus is really worth it.

I like the idea of some kind of "games flatrate". It has exposed me to games I wouldn´t have played otherwise- like Rock of Ages and Mushroom Wars.

If only the third party games were better on PS3.. just finished Bulletstorm and HOLY CRAP that framerate is looooow. Kinda gets to ya if you´re also playing games on a good PC.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By toowalrus

Nah, it's not access to games that's holding me back from playing more of them. Unless Playstation Plus is going to somehow give me more time for gaming... I'm going to pass, for now.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By mpgeist
    @Slay3r1583

I had been thinking about getting it for a while. Once they added Vita support I finally bought a year subscription.

Vita support is what got me in as well. Just need to get more storage for the darn thing.
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@thebroken said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@thebroken said:

Its not like you're paying $50 a month. When you do the month its only $4 per month. So if you pay for a whole year subscription and they put up two $60 retail games that you want to play, aren't you better off being a subscriber now than if you went out and bought those same games separately for full price, or even half price. Of course I'm coming from a place where I don't replay games and I don't play much multiplayer, but if PS+ offered me a game I really enjoyed and wanted to play more of even after my subscription is over, then I could buy a cheap used copy and still have saved money.

Read above, I said it's a fixed, monthly price to keep your games/use the service. PS+ doesn't offer enough benefit for me to consider signing up for another monthly subscription.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By rjayb89

I have a PS3 and Vita and do not have a subscription because whatever they're offering for free or discounting just aren't appealing to me as they are games I already own or have no interest in. The last time I did was during this year's E3 and it turned out to be a disappointing offering. Sure, I got InFamous 2 or whatever out of it but I got tired of it the first time through.

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By illegalnull

Playstation Plus is the best deal in gaming for Playstation owners, hands down!! Even when they release games I already own, over the course of a year it saves me a wack-load of cash. Even more value if you also own a Vita/PSP.

If you aren't aware of what they are offering, follow the PS+ blog http://blog.us.playstation.com/tag/playstation-plus/

So many games...

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#37  Edited By yetiantics

I have officially jumped ship on XBL and have been a happy subscriber since E3. So much bang for my buck.

My 360 is now my sister's "Just Dance" machine.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By penguindust

I've had it in the past and I want to get it again, but I haven't gotten around to picking up a subscription card at Wal-Mart. I'm sort of waiting to see if something I really want to play hits the "free" list.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#39  Edited By Sooperspy

I was just a few days ago before my sub. ran out. I'll probably re-up it though, so I voted yes.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By fodigga

@BestUsernameEver: If you paid $50 right now you would get 1 whole year, so you can't really consider that a monthly subscription anymore. Right now you would get access to:

• BioShock 2
    • Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
    • Rochard
    • The King of Fighters XIII
    • inFamous 2
    • LittleBigPlanet 2
    • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
    • Payday: The Heist
    • Double Dragon Neon
    • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
    • Outland
    • BloodRayne: Betrayal
    • Quantum Conundrum
    • Dungeon Defenders

I don't know how many of those games interest you, and they add about 3 or 4 more every month, so for $50 you could have a whole year to play through all of these without any monthly subscription. For the money, it is impossible to say that PS+ is a bad deal.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By awesomeusername

Got both a PS3 and a Vita. My sub ends January 2014. That's a while from now so if there's a new Playstation or something, I probably won't resub.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Flappy

I have a Vita, so the subscription was pretty much automatic.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43  Edited By Castiel

@BestUsernameEver said:

I have both a vita and PS3 and don't subscribe, paying a fee to get 'free' games doesn't make sense to me.

Nobody said anything about free games. You pay a one year fee and then you get 16-18 games a year for the price of one game basically. In essence you only pay for the first game, the rest of them is free. On top of that you get a bunch of other bonuses; online storage (1 gig, that's more than you get without a membership), automatic updates and downloads and trophy synchronisation etc.

But the amount of free stuff you get alone is worth the price of admission. If you want games without paying anything at all then you are just naive or cheap. The price is so low pretty much get them for free anyway.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@thebroken said:

@BestUsernameEver: If you paid $50 right now you would get 1 whole year, so you can't really consider that a monthly subscription anymore. Right now you would get access to:

• BioShock 2
    • Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
    • Rochard
    • The King of Fighters XIII
    • inFamous 2
    • LittleBigPlanet 2
    • Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
    • Payday: The Heist
    • Double Dragon Neon
    • Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game
    • Outland
    • BloodRayne: Betrayal
    • Quantum Conundrum
    • Dungeon Defenders

I don't know how many of those games interest you, and they add about 3 or 4 more every month, so for $50 you could have a whole year to play through all of these without any monthly subscription. For the money, it is impossible to say that PS+ is a bad deal.

1. Other than LBP2, none of those games interest me.

2. It's absolutely a subscription if I have to pay every month if I want to keep my free games.

I know you really like PS+, but the amount of games I play to the amount of money I have do not add up to make sense with PS+. I play smaller, downloadable games like Journey, Sound shapes, Pixel junk stuff, and bigger games like GTA4, Burnout Paradise, mortal kombat and Gran turismo. Seems like none of the plus stuff is catered to me anyway.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Levius

Yeah, but I move between two PS3s so I need the cloud saves. The free games are cool too.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Castiel said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

Nobody said anything about free games. You pay a one year fee and then you get 16-18 games a year for the price of one game basically. In essence you only pay for the first game, the rest of them is free. On top of that you get a bunch of other bonuses; online storage (1 gig, that's more than you get without a membership), automatic updates and downloads and trophy synchronisation etc.

But the amount of free stuff you get alone is worth the price of admission. If you want games without paying anything at all then you are just naive or cheap. The price is so low pretty much get them for free anyway.

You're really calling me naive or cheap for not wanting another monthly sub for games that don't interest me? Wow.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By killacam

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Kerned said:

I've had this conversation every time I mention PSplus, I'd rather get specific games I want for cheap, than have to spend money every month just to keep the few games I like on my PS3.

one great thing about it ps+ is its potential to introduce you to some good games that you normally wouldn't even think about playing or know little about.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@killacam said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Kerned said:

one great thing about it ps+ is its potential to introduce you to some good games that you normally wouldn't even think about playing or know little about.

I did that with Gamefly, it wasn't as great as I predicted. I'd get a game I feared I'd be bored with, and return it a couple days later bored. More and more I am taking risks on strange games on Steam rather than consoles.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hunkulese

I've had it for a while now but The only thing I've played is Shank. There have been some great games recently but I've already played the. Eventually I'll probably play Space Marine and maybe look at Little Big Planet. The Vita stuff looks pretty good but god damn Persona 4 is long.

fodigga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By fodigga

@BestUsernameEver said:

1. Other than LBP2, none of those games interest me.

2. It's absolutely a subscription if I have to pay every month if I want to keep my free games.

I know you really like PS+, but the amount of games I play to the amount of money I have do not add up to make sense with PS+. I play smaller, downloadable games like Journey, Sound shapes, Pixel junk stuff, and bigger games like GTA4, Burnout Paradise, mortal kombat and Gran turismo. Seems like none of the plus stuff is catered to me anyway.

I don't know why you are so hung up on this being a monthly thing. I have a subscription right now that I won't have to pay any money on for another 12 months, so there is absolutely no monthly payments for me, and I would assume for a lot of PS+ subscribers.

If you have enough money to pay for all of those games you listed, which cost way more than $50, then how do you not have money for PS+. Just counting Journey and Sound Shapes you have already paid $30 for just 2 games this year, when I paid $50 at the beginning of the year and have been able to play about 20 games.

And what are you even talking about with this not catering to you argument. Half of the games they offer are "smaller, downloadable games" just like you say you play, and they have had sales on games like Flower, Journey, and all of the Pixeljunk games.

As far as bigger games go, you seem to like racing games and they have had Shift 2, which is a similar type of racing game to Gran Turismo, granted it is not as good. You play Mortal Kombat, so I assume you like other fighting games, and over the last 12 months PS+ I have been able to play some version of Street Fighter 2, King of Fighters, Virtua Fighter, and starting tomorrow Street Fighter 4, so unless Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game you have ever played there are plenty of games here that are similar and even better than Mortal Kombat.

As far as shooters go, as you say you enjoy GTA4, there have been games like Saints Row 2 and Just Cause 2 which are similar enough to GTA4 that you should definitely enjoy them, as well as Far Cry 2, Borderlands, Bioshock 2, and Resident Evil 5 all within this calendar year.

So for just one low price of $50 per year you could have played all of those games without ever thinking about money after your initial payment.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.