Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Plus

Concept »

PlayStation Plus is a premium PlayStation Network subscription service.

Are you a Playstation Plus subscriber?

• 74 results
    killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By killacam

@BestUsernameEver said:

I did that with Gamefly, it wasn't as great as I predicted. I'd get a game I feared I'd be bored with, and return it a couple days later bored. More and more I am taking risks on strange games on Steam rather than consoles.

i approve of you allocating your money in this way (the steam way).

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#52  Edited By SMTDante89

Got both a PS3 and a Vita and I do subscribe. I love it.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

I was until the 4th when my sub ran out. I plan on re-uping when I get paid.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I had a one month trial, and I didn't think it was for me. The discounts were great but I really hated the idea of having borrowed down loadable games.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@thebroken said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

1. Other than LBP2, none of those games interest me.

2. It's absolutely a subscription if I have to pay every month if I want to keep my free games.

I know you really like PS+, but the amount of games I play to the amount of money I have do not add up to make sense with PS+. I play smaller, downloadable games like Journey, Sound shapes, Pixel junk stuff, and bigger games like GTA4, Burnout Paradise, mortal kombat and Gran turismo. Seems like none of the plus stuff is catered to me anyway.

I don't know why you are so hung up on this being a monthly thing. I have a subscription right now that I won't have to pay any money on for another 12 months, so there is absolutely no monthly payments for me, and I would assume for a lot of PS+ subscribers.

If you have enough money to pay for all of those games you listed, which cost way more than $50, then how do you not have money for PS+. Just counting Journey and Sound Shapes you have already paid $30 for just 2 games this year, when I paid $50 at the beginning of the year and have been able to play about 20 games.

And what are you even talking about with this not catering to you argument. Half of the games they offer are "smaller, downloadable games" just like you say you play, and they have had sales on games like Flower, Journey, and all of the Pixeljunk games.

As far as bigger games go, you seem to like racing games and they have had Shift 2, which is a similar type of racing game to Gran Turismo, granted it is not as good. You play Mortal Kombat, so I assume you like other fighting games, and over the last 12 months PS+ I have been able to play some version of Street Fighter 2, King of Fighters, Virtua Fighter, and starting tomorrow Street Fighter 4, so unless Mortal Kombat is the only fighting game you have ever played there are plenty of games here that are similar and even better than Mortal Kombat.

As far as shooters go, as you say you enjoy GTA4, there have been games like Saints Row 2 and Just Cause 2 which are similar enough to GTA4 that you should definitely enjoy them, as well as Far Cry 2, Borderlands, Bioshock 2, and Resident Evil 5 all within this calendar year.

So for just one low price of $50 per year you could have played all of those games without ever thinking about money after your initial payment.

Just because you can pay in year increments doesn't make it a non commitment. Monthly subscriptions require commitment, and for games I don't want to play, that's a crummy deal. And the smaller games that have sales, I get that, but come on now, I am not signing up for plus just to get a discount on 3 games. And also for GTA4, I mentioned only that one because I really dislike saints row and just cause, Sleeping dogs is alright though.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#56  Edited By gaminghooligan

I am. I pay for both plus and live, while I love the build of the live interface, playstation plus is the service I feel good paying for. All those free games and deals. Totally worth the money.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By billyhoush

I am subscribed. I love the freebies and discounts. I also feel special when my system turns itself on in the middle of the night and uploads stuff to the cloud and downloads updates.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#58  Edited By Nodima

It's also hard to ignore the Free Game Trials. sure, you've got to install the whole game and that's no fun, but it's also been interesting to do stuff like go back and see where Assassin's Creed was at for an hour (the only AC I've played to date, other than the trial of Revelations that was no revelation).

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By Hunter5024

I avoid bills like the plague, it's the only way I manage to have a flexible income. Some of the games are appealing sometimes, but I have enough games to play that I know I'd just end up downloading them and letting them sit there on my hard drive.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#60  Edited By riostarwind  Moderator

Yeah I subscribe to it. I like to play a lot of different kinds of games so it's a natural fit for me. The playstation 3 is my format of choice for most games unless they are on PC as well so that helps confirm my PS Plus sub.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61  Edited By Castiel

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Castiel said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

I have both a vita and PS3 and don't subscribe, paying a fee to get 'free' games doesn't make sense to me.

Nobody said anything about free games. You pay a one year fee and then you get 16-18 games a year for the price of one game basically. In essence you only pay for the first game, the rest of them is free. On top of that you get a bunch of other bonuses; online storage (1 gig, that's more than you get without a membership), automatic updates and downloads and trophy synchronisation etc.

But the amount of free stuff you get alone is worth the price of admission. If you want games without paying anything at all then you are just naive or cheap. The price is so low pretty much get them for free anyway.

You're really calling me naive or cheap for not wanting another monthly sub for games that don't interest me? Wow.

I'm not talking about a monthly sub. There is no any monthly sub, not here in Europe at least: you either buy 3 month for $17.99 or a year for $49.99. Here in Europe they have just had and offer were the price for a year was reduced by 50% and that's extremely cheap for a whole year of membership. It's a cheap price to begin with, seing as $49.99 is less than most new games.

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#62  Edited By natedawg_kz

@BestUsernameEver: You pay $50 a year to get over $1000 dollars of content

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By djou

Yes, I'm a subscriber and I plan to renew. This is a great deal and its turned me onto a bunch of games that I wouldn't have necessarily picked up on my own. BL1, Payday, Sideways, and a few others have been real gems that I wouldn't have bought unless they were free. I've also used the Plus discount a bunch to buy games when they launch. My console is aging (I own a PS3 fatty) and I'm not sure how long it will hold out so I wanted to make sure my saves were backed up. This Plus feature along with the auto-patching and trophy syncing is worth the price. I would recommend it to anyone who owns a PS3 but I'm the type of gamer who is ready to embrace download only games. Although the XMB interface isn't optimized to handle sorting a library of games I definitely want to support this type of thing especially if they keep offering this quantity of game perks.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@Castiel said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@Castiel said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

I have both a vita and PS3 and don't subscribe, paying a fee to get 'free' games doesn't make sense to me.

Nobody said anything about free games. You pay a one year fee and then you get 16-18 games a year for the price of one game basically. In essence you only pay for the first game, the rest of them is free. On top of that you get a bunch of other bonuses; online storage (1 gig, that's more than you get without a membership), automatic updates and downloads and trophy synchronisation etc.

But the amount of free stuff you get alone is worth the price of admission. If you want games without paying anything at all then you are just naive or cheap. The price is so low pretty much get them for free anyway.

You're really calling me naive or cheap for not wanting another monthly sub for games that don't interest me? Wow.

I'm not talking about a monthly sub. There is no any monthly sub, not here in Europe at least: you either buy 3 month for $17.99 or a year for $49.99. Here in Europe they have just had and offer were the price for a year was reduced by 50% and that's extremely cheap for a whole year of membership. It's a cheap price to begin with, seing as $49.99 is less than most new games.

It IS a monthly subscription, I don't care how much you buy in bulk, a monthly sub means it's not a one cost deal, to keep your games, you have to keep paying forever. I can't believe I am still arguing with you guys if you don't understand that.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@natedawg_kz said:

@BestUsernameEver: You pay $50 a year to get over $1000 dollars of content

Quantity =/ quality. I'd rather spend money on individual games I like than paying a membership fee to get a bunch of games I barely care about and one I may.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#66  Edited By DarthOrange

PS3 and Vita. Automatic updates and cloud storage make it worth the price of admission, the games are just a bonus. Yes, I plan on renewing.

BoosieF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got a free trial. And next thing you know they charged my card so I guess I am a Playstation Plus subscriber because Playstation plus customer service ignored my complaint and didn't refund my money. Sad day.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By LiquidPrince

Until 2017.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#69  Edited By Nodima

Just wanted to come back and say, I haven't done the math since earlier last year, but in a year and half or so with this service I am coming awfully close to spending about $120 (I recently switched to a 3 month subscription which is dumb long term but currently easier for me to handle short term) for $1,000 worth of products, through savings and Instant Game Collection.

I'm youngish (25) so it's not like I have a ton of experience being a member of any sort of promotional club like Columbia House or whatever, but to me getting a return around 8 times my investment sounds like a really good deal, and I haven't even taken advantage of the Vita deals which I've started to feel dumb about since realizing I could essentially reserve games for later (I don't currently own a Vita but would love to in two years to pair with the PS4 I don't own yet either) with the service over this past summer when my hard drive was too full.

Considering that even when I signed up PS+ was essentially a cloud save and Free Game Trial service with a few really cool digital and first party games on its roster, the past 4-6 months of the service have been incredible. I have to assume Sony keeps it up going forward, and my savings will only go up in value over the next couple years.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boosief said:

Got a free trial. And next thing you know they charged my card so I guess I am a Playstation Plus subscriber because Playstation plus customer service ignored my complaint and didn't refund my money. Sad day.

usually with these things (same with Amazon Prime) you have to go in yourself to unsubscribe; they won't warn you. i know it sucks and i wonder about the legality of it, but that's just how these things are. or they probably do notify you somehow but it's probably just a tiny blurb in the corner of your screen.

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
    deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, but I'm wishing I was after my PS4 bricked and I lost my save files for my games. I think cloud saving, uploading a few KB to a server, should be a free feature, but whatever. Ho-hum.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't when I had a PS3 and won't be if I get another PlayStation. I'm not interested in so many games that paying for rentals would save me money, and multiplayer isn't important enough to me that I would pay a fee. I like MP, but I don't play many MP games. I don't want to feel forced to play online so that my membership doesn't go to waste.

Actually, I did sign up for three months to back up my copy protected D. Souls saves, which I wasn't able to recover.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

yes, and it's made me consider getting a Vita, the sales are wonderful, I've been buying games more then I would have. It's a wonderful deceptive tactic to really consider everything playstation from now on.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Tyrrael

I actually got a 3 month membership for Christmas. I wasn't going to renew it, but my PS3 intermittently stopped reading certain discs recently and is probably going to die. So, I'll probably renew it and copy my save files to the cloud. This is definitely a feature of PS+ I never thought I'd use, but now, I'm truly glad it's there. I guess I could transfer it to a flash drive, but honestly, I really like having a backup copy that's right at my fingertips that I can easily use between PS3s. The reason I say that is, my PS3 actually works fine for the most part. It just doesn't read some discs sometimes, so I'll probably take one of them home and leave the other at a friends house and transfer saves back and forth when playing some RPGs. Tales of Xillia comes to mind, since PS+ members got it for $10 during Sony's 14 for '14 sale. I also like the "free" games, although I think of it more like a rental service. For example, I would never play XCOM: Enemy Unknown if I had to pay for it. It's just not the type of game I'm normally into, but it's on PS+ so I'll probably give it a try. If I don't like it, I'm no worse off than I was before. If I do like it, then I just found a new game to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.