Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Plus

Concept »

PlayStation Plus is a premium PlayStation Network subscription service.

Playstation Plus Games for October (Broken Age and Super Meat Boy)

• 76 results
    Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@towolie: They have retail games like Killzone or Knack that I'm sure people are interested in and basically no one is going to buy and they also have recent excellent $20 games like Axiom Verge, Galak-Z, and Helldivers. Instead we get a 5 year old game. I don't mind PS+ in general but the catalogue a year ago was way more impressive than it has been lately.

Mysterious0Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Super Meat Boy is a perfect game.

It is. Which is why I bought it for 360 several years ago. Then on the PC. Not exactly jumping for joy getting yet another copy.

... actually I'm being a little bit mean because I do like the idea of playing it on my Vita.

towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: sure and saying, i wish it were different games sounds valid to me.

i'm aiming at people acting like they are being robed

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Yeah, I want Axiom Verge and Helldivers more than anything. I feel like they're going to be plus games I just don't know when.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: So far though, the following games all released on PS+ before being available on the console in any other format, some of them being brand new games.

Contrast, Resogun, Mercenary Kings, Stick it to the Man!, Road Not Taken, Pix the Cat, Velocity 2X, Binding of Isaac Rebirth, Apotheon, OlliOlli2, Rocket League.

Super Meat Boy is old sure, but it's not like they've been slacking in putting brand new titles, of varying quality sure, onto the service. SMB has never been on Sony platforms before, anyone whose only played Sony devices has never played it.

I'm waiting for the day Knack get's released on PS+ because it's going to be met with a chorus of people complaining about how "this isn't even a proper AAA game...".

@humanity - that's fair. I think they're doing an alright job so far. Like I said previously, SMB has never actually been on Sony devices before, this is it's first release on there so for anyone whose been Sony only for the last generation, this is a new game to them.

coloursheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another stong month for Plus, SMB and Broken Age are great for this service as they are games I would never consider buying but now I will definately try them both out.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh nice, looks like I'll be playing Broken Age, then. SMB is SMB, fun for a bit but not really my jam. Never really heard of the others, suppose I'll watch the QL on Chariot.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Hunkulese

@towolie said:

i don't know how much you all payed for playstation plus, i payed 50 euro's for a whole year.

for that price how can you even complain about this? do you want them to personally ask you what you want? do you expect a triple A game every month?

are you seriously telling me that out of a whole year of ps+ you get less value than out of 1 single triple A game? i just don't understand the human race anymore...

Paying for something you have no choice in is always a bad value proposition and I definitely don't think I get my money's worth in a year. If a game looks like something I want to play, I buy it. Making me pay for random games that I may or may not have bought before doesn't suddenly make them more interesting. It's the modern day version of the Columbia House scam. The only thing I'm getting out of PS plus is online play and that's a dumb thing to make people pay for.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: I mean, you have the choice not to pay for it?

(I understand that this is a bit disingenuous given the online play thing)

towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By towolie

@hunkulese: you pay to play online and the games are a bonus, what is your point again?

and yes paying for playing online is a bummer but thats the core service of PLUS, and you do have a choice. either go pc or don't play online.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@towolie: Thought the point was pretty straight forward. I don't think PS plus is a good value and I think it's dumb how they're forcing it on people now for their online services, which aren't any better than they were when they were free.

towolie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hunkulese: fair enough, still not the same as having no choice.

and still find it strange to not even find a bit of value in 30 games a year

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#63  Edited By Cav829

A lot of the same conversation repeats every month in PS+/Games with Gold threads to the point you could just throw up a flowchart and close the thread. That is not to say there aren't valid complains or that people don't have the right to offer feedback on game selection, but a lot of it comes down to "do I own this game already, and if I do, this month sucks." At least there is less of the "screw indie games, give me my free copy of Knack" conversation that takes place in some circles. I would concur for many this isn't the greatest month as SMB is an older game, but keep in mind a lot of gamers only game on consoles and have yet to play it. And Broken Age is a really good get being a solid title and released within the last six months.

During the PS3 generation, PS+ didn't really get "godly" until around 2 years of the end of the generation. So people jumped in at a time they had oodles of big name AAA games they could throw out there for free. That was also in part due to games hitting $20 on retail shelves within 4-6 months of release. With fewer consoles in the hands of consumers yet, the rising cost of game production, etc., plus the general influx of indie/smaller digital releases, it makes more sense IMO for all parties involved to offer those games rather than finally getting Knack/Assassin's Creed 4/Tomb Raider/whatever for free 18-24 months after release when you could have gotten those games for $10 by now if you wanted them.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@jesus_phish: I mean out of that list you have Rebirth and Rocket League pretty much as far as high quality $20 games go; I like Pix the Cat and Velocity 2X personally but it's hard to get more than 5 hours out of either game. Rebirth and Rocket League are awesome but are they worth 50 bucks by themselves (individually)? Helldivers is a fucking Sony game and the game changes dramatically depending on how many people are playing it; what's so hard for them to comprehend? I own that game already and I want to play more of it just the community is too good at the game now so it's pretty boring and run of the mill, I want more of that near launch craziness where there's 1-2 good players and the other 2 function as Starship Troopers fodder.

Loading Video...

There have been no retail releases on PS+ for PS4 whatsoever (aside from Injustice, a cross platform re-release) so it doesn't matter if it's Knack or Killzone or anything else; just a game that fits that category.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@towolie: You have no choice in the games you get.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yuck! That new music in Super Meat Boy is awful. It also didn't help that it glitched out and two pieces of (awful) music continued to play on top of each other.

HarrySound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being a guy who has been online console gaming since 2002 when I was one of the first few thousand on the Xbox Live Beta test i'm loving these "free" game packages. I spent about 13 years with Xbox and received only 1 game (Doritos Crash Course) free for my troubles. I totally appreciate new games to try out every month, I'm in the half of gamers that think this is something quite special rather than something that destroys my hopes and dreams every month.

That said.... I think I own Super Meat Boy in at least two other places. It's getting real old now but maybe the Vita version will give it more life?

As for Broken Age. Monkey Island 2 is extremely special to my life. It's a landmark. Grim Fandango is a landmark for another place in my life but after playing the piss poor "Remaster" I think I have a passionate hatred for Tim Schafer. :(

Could they have put any less effort into the Grim Fandango remaster? Also F**K those non-sensical puzzles! It was like an old girlfriend finding you in your new life and saying "yeah by the way, you were awful in bed, your breath smelt and your the worst kisser ever...but i still think your dad was great"

Also what is this bullshit they have given us on Vita this month? Oh well. I might not like the games sometimes but you can't argue at the value. Kinda like Pot Noodle.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#68  Edited By Sogeman
    Loading Video...

@gunstarred: ha, and I thought maybe I was the only one. As if the music wasn't bad enough already. I think that's 3 songs playing at the same time.

It's entirely forgettable and doesn't fit the game. At least the main theme and Chapter 1. Boss music was ok but nothing special either.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#70  Edited By tearhead

The music for Super Meat Boy on PS4 is a bummer!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Wait, Super Meat Boy on PS4 has different music? Eww. I guess I'll hit "add to library" instead of download.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could they have put any less effort into the Grim Fandango remaster?

Yes. They could have not redone all the character textures. They could have not rerecorded the entire soundtrack with a symphony orchestra. They could have not redone the control system. They could have not redone the lighting system. They could have not fixed the bugs in the original that prevented you from hearing certain pieces of dialog. They could have just put the game out in it's original form. I'm honestly not sure what you want out of a GF remaster tbh. The only thing they could have done better was redoing all the backgrounds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought that video was a glitch, that really sucks though. Was it ever explained what the hell happened between McMillen and Danny Barowsky that put them at such odds with each other?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jthom252 said:

I thought that video was a glitch, that really sucks though. Was it ever explained what the hell happened between McMillen and Danny Barowsky that put them at such odds with each other?

I just checked:

Regarding my Super Meat Boy soundtrack

Hey guys!

Many of you have probably already seen the news, but my soundtrack for Super Meat Boy will not be in the PS4/Vita versions. This is because I no longer have a working relationship with Team Meat. You may also know that I did not do the soundtrack for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. I made a decision a couple years ago to end my working relationship with them for many reasons that don’t really need to be listed here. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause my fans.

I’ve heard rumors that there were creative differences between us; this is not true, or at least was never communicated to me.

I own all the rights to my music, and Team Meat approached me to license the music for the PS4 and Vita versions. I didn't feel like the license fee and exposure through PSN they offered was enough to make me seriously consider accepting the deal. I decided to decline their offer. I wish them and the new artists the best of luck with the game.

I genuinely appreciate all the outreach from fans today. I love you guys!

What a massive bummer. I highly suggest that people get a hold of the MP3 soundtrack and play it on their PS4 while they play the game, because it's really hard to imagine Super Meat Boy without it. That the new soundtrack seems to be glitched on top of everything else just makes this all even worse. :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jthom252 said:

I just checked:

Regarding my Super Meat Boy soundtrack

Hey guys!

Many of you have probably already seen the news, but my soundtrack for Super Meat Boy will not be in the PS4/Vita versions. This is because I no longer have a working relationship with Team Meat. You may also know that I did not do the soundtrack for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. I made a decision a couple years ago to end my working relationship with them for many reasons that don’t really need to be listed here. I apologize for any disappointment this may cause my fans.

I’ve heard rumors that there were creative differences between us; this is not true, or at least was never communicated to me.

I own all the rights to my music, and Team Meat approached me to license the music for the PS4 and Vita versions. I didn't feel like the license fee and exposure through PSN they offered was enough to make me seriously consider accepting the deal. I decided to decline their offer. I wish them and the new artists the best of luck with the game.

I genuinely appreciate all the outreach from fans today. I love you guys!

What a massive bummer. I highly suggest that people get a hold of the MP3 soundtrack and play it on their PS4 while they play the game, because it's really hard to imagine Super Meat Boy without it. That the new soundtrack seems to be glitched on top of everything else just makes this all even worse. :(

Yeah, saw that a little earlier, it's a shame they had such a falling out because I still vastly prefer the original soundtracks for Issac and Meat Boy. I don't think it was glitched, just the number of instruments and everything sounds real jarring in the new version. From listening to the soundtrack online it seems like the forest has the worst of it.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

yeah, SMB without the old music kinda sucks to be honest.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.