Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

A PSP remembered

SepticShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By SepticShock

Listening to last weeks Bombcast, the guys spent some time talking about observing PSP's in the wild. The conversation prompted me to go looking for my PSP, mostly because I wanted to see what game/UMD I had last played. I had moved twice since I had last powered up my PSP, so finding it and its AC adapter was no easy task. I finally located my old PSP and, with great excitement, opened the UMD slot. Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo is what stared back at me from the back to my dusty PSP. This is extremely fitting, I thought to myself as I closed the PSP, placed it back in the box in my closet and shut the door.

SepticShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SepticShock

Listening to last weeks Bombcast, the guys spent some time talking about observing PSP's in the wild. The conversation prompted me to go looking for my PSP, mostly because I wanted to see what game/UMD I had last played. I had moved twice since I had last powered up my PSP, so finding it and its AC adapter was no easy task. I finally located my old PSP and, with great excitement, opened the UMD slot. Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo is what stared back at me from the back to my dusty PSP. This is extremely fitting, I thought to myself as I closed the PSP, placed it back in the box in my closet and shut the door.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

I just bought Valkyria Chronicles II for mine. You can buy either the full game right now on the Playstation Store for $40, or you can buy the full game and all of the DLC for $22.

Such a great game. <3

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By mosespippy

@N7: If you liked Valkyria Chronicles 2 you should look into importing VC3 since the english version was canceled. I'm playing it now and it's basically the same gameplay with better characters and twice as many maps (most of the VC2 maps plus an equal amount of new maps). I can't tell exactly what's going on but it runs parallel with the events of Valkyria Chronicles 1 so there is some familiarity.

After I finish that I'm thinking of replaying Crisis Core or getting Persona 2. PSP is quite the RPG machine. I think it's a shame some people don't get much use out of their PSPs.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By N7
    @mosespippy: You have no idea how sad I was to hear it wasn't coming out over seas. I guess that's just how it is for obscure Japanese RPGs. I actually Gamefly'd VC2 when it came out, got like 30 hours into it and was NOWHERE being close to even hitting the half-way middle point, so it seems like a really long game.

I wish I could import it, but I got no monies. And I still have to beat VC2.

EDIT: And yeah, the PSP really is a great machine. It gets shit on a lot, but there are sooooo many great games for it.
    Lavapotamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Lavapotamus

Pretty much every single year since the PSP, I would get an illogical urge to run out and buy one. My DS has and seemingly always will treat me well, but the occasional PSP gem was always far more tempting than they really should have been. I felt better once PSP to PS2 ports began and I imagine I'll be able to play the best PSP games on the Vita via download or the PSN, but I'm not sure on that (don't have a PS3). The only person I know that has a PSP has been using it as an MP3 player for the last year and a half, though. :( What a waste.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cloudenvy

@mosespippy: @N7: Hey guys! thanks for reminding me of how disappointed I was in VC2! : (

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By N7
    @Cloudenvy: Daw :(

No spoilers, but how could you have been disappointed with it? From what I see, it's a greatly improved Valkyria Chronicles game.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cloudenvy

@N7 said:

@Cloudenvy: Daw :( No spoilers, but how could you have been disappointed with it? From what I see, it's a greatly improved Valkyria Chronicles game.

I just didn't like any of the characters at all, it feels much more generic highschool-y than the previous one to me.

You're right though, gameplay wise it's totally competent.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By N7
    @Cloudenvy: Oh yeah. I totally see what you're saying now. Yeah, I get that. I was too caught up in the hype to be bothered by it. But now that you mention it, it is way more Highschool-y than the first. Waaay more. These kids KILL people. They shouldn't be in Highschool!
    SepticShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SepticShock

@Lavapotamus: The only reason I would turn my on again would be to play Final Fantasy Tactics, I always loved having a portable way to play this game. I found the PSP's online to be very disappointing. It is a shame, I really wanted to like my PSP, it just never stuck with me. I ended up just using it to watch UMD's(Which I bought on the cheap) during business flights. It became obsolete when I bought my first laptop.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By mosespippy

@N7: Yeah it's pretty long with a lot of great end game content. I fumbled through the Japanese version for about 300 hours and played the English version for 200 hours. I'm on the last chapter of VC3 at about 50 hours in.

@Cloudenvy said:

I just didn't like any of the characters at all, it feels much more generic highschool-y than the previous one to me.

Playing it in Japanese first and only being able to judge the game based on it's mechanics made me like it more than when I played it in English. I had no idea how bad the writing was. My understanding is that the devs heard the complaints and tried to be more like the first game for VC3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.