Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

I'm the idiot who bought a PSP Go.

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 13

Edited By Quesa

Against all common sense, warnings, cynicism, and even my own advice, I bought a PSP Go. I don't believe I have to defend my decision to buy a PSP; the stack of games I've wanted for the system has grown large enough to merit the purchase. The point of contention is why I chose the Go over the more versatile 3000 model. The Go presents itself as a "premium" version of the system. It's more expensive, looks sleeker, and stands firmly on the platform of being an iPhone competitor. I won't go into a comparison between the two here, though suffice it to say the Go lacks the function of being a phone and an internet connection outside of hotspots. With that in mind, the assumption that most people come to is that it's in an overpriced piece of plastic that does nothing but reinforce brand loyalty.

So why buy the Go? Well, first of all, the 250 price point is less inflated than you might think. Right now, a PSP-3000/16GB Memory stick is around $230, so the Go and its internal 16 gigs are actually only 20 dollars more than the alternative. It's not exactly a fair comparison, though, since the Go is more likely to use up that memory than the 3000.

The most divisive facet of the Go is, of course, that fact that it lacks a UMD drive, which means that any games that someone looking to upgrade to the newest version of the system might have would be useless. It's possible that most of the ire directed at the Go comes from PSP owners who feel maligned and abandoned by the company they've been supporting, and that's a natural reaction to have, really. If, say, the DSi went digital-only, I'd be peeved about having to re-buy all of the games I have.

But from the perspective of a new buyer, it's extremely tempting to start fresh. UMD's, like most physical formats, are cumbersome to carry around, which is especially important with a portable device. Your options are limited by what's on the store (I, for example, am still waiting to play Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops), but those are the sort of growing pains that come with the territory.

Price comes into play as well; The one store you can buy from doesn't have to compete with anything else (or at least, anything that's legal), so there's little chance we'll see bargains or deals unless they're from the publishers/developers themselves.

The upside to this, though, is that I won't have to worry about whether or not the money I put down will go to the developer. Used copies are pure profit for retail and retail alone, so I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm willing to take the price hike in exchange for supporting the people who made the game. I don't have any more or less money than anyone else, so it may mean I'll end up buying less games in the long haul.

The biggest reason I bought the Go, however, may have been to support the concept of a digital-only device. I may be overpaying for it right now, but I feel like I should be supporting such a platform from the get-go. The PSP may not have been the right console to go with on this front, but I'd like encourage anyone of thinking this way as much as I can.

Or maybe I'm just trying to validate a bad decision.

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Quesa

Against all common sense, warnings, cynicism, and even my own advice, I bought a PSP Go. I don't believe I have to defend my decision to buy a PSP; the stack of games I've wanted for the system has grown large enough to merit the purchase. The point of contention is why I chose the Go over the more versatile 3000 model. The Go presents itself as a "premium" version of the system. It's more expensive, looks sleeker, and stands firmly on the platform of being an iPhone competitor. I won't go into a comparison between the two here, though suffice it to say the Go lacks the function of being a phone and an internet connection outside of hotspots. With that in mind, the assumption that most people come to is that it's in an overpriced piece of plastic that does nothing but reinforce brand loyalty.

So why buy the Go? Well, first of all, the 250 price point is less inflated than you might think. Right now, a PSP-3000/16GB Memory stick is around $230, so the Go and its internal 16 gigs are actually only 20 dollars more than the alternative. It's not exactly a fair comparison, though, since the Go is more likely to use up that memory than the 3000.

The most divisive facet of the Go is, of course, that fact that it lacks a UMD drive, which means that any games that someone looking to upgrade to the newest version of the system might have would be useless. It's possible that most of the ire directed at the Go comes from PSP owners who feel maligned and abandoned by the company they've been supporting, and that's a natural reaction to have, really. If, say, the DSi went digital-only, I'd be peeved about having to re-buy all of the games I have.

But from the perspective of a new buyer, it's extremely tempting to start fresh. UMD's, like most physical formats, are cumbersome to carry around, which is especially important with a portable device. Your options are limited by what's on the store (I, for example, am still waiting to play Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops), but those are the sort of growing pains that come with the territory.

Price comes into play as well; The one store you can buy from doesn't have to compete with anything else (or at least, anything that's legal), so there's little chance we'll see bargains or deals unless they're from the publishers/developers themselves.

The upside to this, though, is that I won't have to worry about whether or not the money I put down will go to the developer. Used copies are pure profit for retail and retail alone, so I suppose what I'm saying is that I'm willing to take the price hike in exchange for supporting the people who made the game. I don't have any more or less money than anyone else, so it may mean I'll end up buying less games in the long haul.

The biggest reason I bought the Go, however, may have been to support the concept of a digital-only device. I may be overpaying for it right now, but I feel like I should be supporting such a platform from the get-go. The PSP may not have been the right console to go with on this front, but I'd like encourage anyone of thinking this way as much as I can.

Or maybe I'm just trying to validate a bad decision.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Its cool. Its your life and you did what you wanted. I want it  but I already own one with about fifteen games.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Finally collapsed...maybe you are defending a bad decision?...

In all seriousness it's not that bad as everyone thinks it is. In fact, if I didn't have a PSP I would probably have bought this if it wasn't so expensive.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Aquablak

*Shrug*  I think the Go looks awesome.  I've got a 1000 and I think I'll probably upgrade, possibly this weekend.

warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By warp

The Go does have potential as long as Sony continues to nurture unique content for the device and not simply giving up on it by only putting out half assed media instead of actual good games.

In other words, at least you didnt go out and buy a DSi.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I am starting to warm up to the Go, actually. I think the ability to be able to play any game in your library with a portable device without carrying around a pile of UMDs sounds great. I can, however, absolutely see it being a problem for preexisting PSP owners.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#7  Edited By AgentJ
    @warp said:
    " The Go does have potential as long as Sony continues to nurture unique content for the device and not simply giving up on it by only putting out half assed media instead of actual good games.  In other words, at least you didnt go out and buy a DSi. "
    Three words: Shantae: Risky's Revenge 

Anyway, I think some of the OPs logic is flawed. Sure the price would be similar if you bought a 16gb memory card for a 3000, but games don't take up nearly as much memory when you have physical copies of them. I wonder how big a memory card you would need to equal the number of games you can download onto the PSP GO's memory.  
    I also hate that the games on the download service are at least 5 bucks more in most cases than you could get them in a physical disc.  
    And I like my physical games. 
    PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By PufferFiz

A mistake? I just bought a go a few hours ago. Love it!

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By oldschool
    @Paperlink said:
    " Or maybe I'm just trying to validate a bad decision. "
    As long as you also supported Hybrid cars whilst they are horribly expensive as well, then it is fine to support the future  ^_^ 

Not even slightly interested in one.  I will stick with my 2 x PSP-1000 and 38 games thanks.  I'm done with the PSP except some more, cheap retail games.
    Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Quesa
    @AgentJ: "
    It's not exactly a fair comparison, though, since the Go is more likely to use up that memory than the 3000."
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By get2sammyb

I bought one. I think the hate is unwarranted. It all makes sense when you have it in your hands. 15 games and the system in your pocket, without your trousers feeling lop-sided. Let's be honest here, 15 games and PSP 1000 would not even fit in a clown's pocket.

It's awesome and I love it to bits.

I'm really glad Jeff spoke out about it because I really feel like it's got some rough treatment. I mean, if you don't want it, don't buy it, that's fine; but man have people been so angry about the system.

It's expensive yes, but it's been worth every penny for me, seeing as I travel a lot and needed a new MP3 player (and have always wanted a PSP that I could carry easily).

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gizmo

I've just moved to the countryside and am getting an average down speed of 0.3 MBPS, so obviously, the vision of a digital download only future makes me shit my pants.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#13  Edited By Eder

I still liked boxed copies of games, but some I would just rather download because I wont care for the box. Thats why a normal PSP is the way to go for me. Now if only I would find that damn Madden PSP for cheap, just for the color of course.

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By raddevon
    @Paperlink: I'm completely on-board with software minus the physical medium. I do wish Sony would split the difference with consumers. They are saving lots by going this route. Why continue charging full retail? They could charge a little less and still come out  ahead. I've heard the arguments about not undercutting retail, but I believe there needs to be major incentive for consumers before this method of distribution will be widely adopted.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb
    @raddevon said:
    " @Paperlink: I'm completely on-board with software minus the physical medium. I do wish Sony would split the difference with consumers. They are saving lots by going this route. Why continue charging full retail? They could charge a little less and still come out  ahead. I've heard the arguments about not undercutting retail, but I believe there needs to be major incentive for consumers before this method of distribution will be widely adopted. "
    I think they're trying to market it inline with the iPod Touch though. Price goes a long way towards perspective.

Would be great if they'd just put it out for £150 or whatever though.
    raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By raddevon
    @get2sammyb: I see what you're saying, but I'm actually talking more in terms of software. I would be cool paying a little more for the hardware if I could save $5 or $10 on each game. When both the games and the hardware are more expensive, it's a real kick in the balls.
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Driadon

I will tell you right now that the only reason why I bought a PSP-3000 instead of a PSPGo last week is because the analog nub looks like a pain to reach on the Go model.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#18  Edited By AgentJ

This should be everyones reaction after buying a PSP go: 

Courtesy of Mega 64
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By emkeighcameron

That was a bad decision, but the eloquence and higher-than-average writing quality of your post charmed me to the point of believing that you are, in fact, not an idiot.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By conker
    @Gizmo:
    ouch man

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.