Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Is PSP 2 going to have to be priced atleast as much as 3DS?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Now that we know 3DS is going to be 250 at launch, what is the PSP 2s price going to have to be in order for it to have a chance? Is 50 dollars more going to be outrages if it is technicaly more powerful and more feature rich then the 3DS? or is it going to have to be priced ATLEAST at 250 dollars, the same price as 3DS for it to stand a chance? Or will it have to be 200? Because by the time PSP 2 is out, I can see nintendo dropping price on 3DS to atleast 200 because the 3DS would be out for like 6 months by the time PSP 2 comes out. What do you think?
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

It's going to cost more, because charging more than the competition seems to be how Sony rolls when they roll things out. Which is kind of a shame, they've taken a lot of flak for it.  

Of course, if they launched it at a lower price, it'd force Nintendo to lower the 3DS' price. 

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By tobygw

Well first of all you're assuming here that the PSP 2 will come out in August or September, but I think it will be before then. There is no way that it will be cheaper or even likely the same price as the 3DS. It's gonna be at least 300 for sure they just have to make sure that they market their strong points well. Also I highly doubt that Nintendo would make a price cut after only 6 months.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta
    @tobygw said:
    " Well first of all you're assuming here that the PSP 2 will come out in August or September, but I think it will be before then. There is no way that it will be cheaper or even likely the same price as the 3DS. It's gonna be at least 300 for sure they just have to make sure that they market their strong points well. "
    it hasn't even been officially announced yet, dude.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword
    @MooseyMcMan:

Actualy, Im pretty sure that "Price everything higher" strategy really only started with PSP. every console SONY did before then was affordably priced.
    tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#6  Edited By tobygw
    @Laketown: I never said it had been.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword
    @tobygw: 

Reports and common concensous indicate that itll be released towards the end of this year. Also, theres this article. 
    http://psp.ign.com/articles/114/1145577p1.html

While not fact, that Japan newspaper article indicates that itll be at the end of the year, or sometime around there. Also, itll have a touch OLED screen and 3G capability. Which could leave one to believe it would be atleast 300. i jsut people dont hate on it if thats true if it really is worth it from the feature standpoint. Everyone loves nintendo when it comes to handhelds, and PSP left a bad taste in many mouths.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Bones8677

It'll be $299.99 at the lowest. Sony has convinced themselves that consumers have vast amounts of disposable income. And will be completely shocked when their plan fails. They didn't learn from the PS3 launch, and I doubt they have learned from the PSP Go launch.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Azteck

It'll cost as much as the PS3 at launch since it can apparently handle that kind of graphics.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Raven_Sword: 
    wasnt one of the ps3 consoles 1000 bucks at launch?  it probably had to do with the ps2 disk compatability.  im guessing theyre gonna keep the psp at 250 cause 300 is basically as much as a ps3 and 200 would be as much as an old psp.  however they might lower it considering theres a tonne of hype for the 3DS
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ravensword
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: 

No, the highest costing PS3 at launch was the 600 dollar 60GB model. both the 600 dollar one and the 500 dollar one had Backwards compatibility.
    JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JCGamer

The crazy thing is that one of the reasons the PSP "failed" was that PSP games were console games potted over to the handheld. The DS and iOS have shown that people want
    something different in their portable devices. It seems like Sony is making the same mistake twice and making the PSP2 another portable console.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ravensword
    @Darkerkamikaze:  

I dont think anything is a gurantee. We are seeing peopel who came back from that nintendo even sorta dissapointed, so 3DS might now be the sure fire hti everyone thought it would be outside of sales by the general public that see and gobble it up. if PSP 2 can come in and give us features that are compelling at a price that isnt outrages for what it does, I think it could be successful or as successful as 3DS. Again, anything can happen and SONY is showing signs of learning from mistakes this gen.  

@Bones8677:

I cant imagine they will make the same pricing mistakes theyve made for two times now. If its 300, I hope they make it worth that price. 

Also  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.