Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Is the PSP dead?

• 52 results
    Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Edited By Goldenroad

There has been a big push on the PSP front recently, with some big titles coming to the platform, but has it done enough to gain your interest? if not what should it do? 
     Will it ever be better than a DS/ is it better than a DS?  
    general thoughts on the psp?

Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Goldenroad

There has been a big push on the PSP front recently, with some big titles coming to the platform, but has it done enough to gain your interest? if not what should it do? 
     Will it ever be better than a DS/ is it better than a DS?  
    general thoughts on the psp?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

It's the only modern system I've never bought and never intend to buy for lack of software support. I feel that says something. I don't want a system that's purpose is to release smaller versions of PS3 games once every 4-6months. 

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jacdg

yes, it's dead. Rockband, Crisis Core and Star Ocean: Second Evolution are the only games I can recommend for it really..

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By trophyhunter

no, it's doing the best it's ever done right now

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By zombie2011

I have a PSP, and i only have one game for it. I haven't touched that thing for 3+ years, so to me the system is dead.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Goldenroad:  "PSP is dead, and we are the ones who killed it." -Nietzsche

In seriousness, it's just a console I never play, despite having a handful of pretty good titles, because of the DS.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sopranosfan

It is a portable gaming system that isn't very portable.  I think they were close with the PSP GO but they should have had some sort of digital cartridge based games and maybe even movies like on a memory stick or SD card style that you could have purchased at a store.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By habster3

I'm afraid so; man, there was so much potential.

Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Goldenroad

yeah well, i think the first big mistake was to make the console so big! i mean portable gaming shud mean you can fit it in your pocket, tht way its convenient, and they tried to recreate a console too similar to a home console, the ds was much more jump in and out style of gaming and tht suits most ppls needs.
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By lead_farmer

I have a PSP, but I don't really see it as a portable gaming system. Sure, it is kinda small and it fits in my pocket, but the only time I ever take it with me somewhere else is if I think I am going to have a lot of time (like a plane trip).  If I am playing it, it's at home or with a friend who has a PSP too.  I don't really see it picking up much sped, but I am glad that there are a decent number of games that are going to come out for it.  There are good games for it in my opinion: 
    Patapon 
    God of War Chains of Olympus 
    Crisis Core 
    Pursuit Force 
    Phantasy Star Portable 
    Persona 
    Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters 
    Socom Fireteam Bravo 
    MGS Portable Ops 
    Tekken Dark Resurrection
    Metal Slug 
    There are also a lot of older fighting games that were made for it like Darkstalkers, Street Fighter, and KOF. 
    Unfortunately there just isn't much support for the PSP, and the PSP Go thing was not thought out and has no target audience.   
    I am still looking forward to a few games like Valkyria Chronicles 2, Persona 3 Portable, and MGS Peace Walker, but nothing else really. 

Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Goldenroad
    @lead_farmer:
    What about the syphon filter games? you not into them?
    Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rebirth1337
    It has been dead.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By Marz

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker will keep it on life support for a little bit longer.

ToadRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ToadRunner
    @EpicSteve: wow you can bitch on the internet!

im sure your parents are very proud.
    NateR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NateR

yes. and i think the DS is dead too, but not in the same sense. Handhelds suck these days.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EpicSteve
    @ToadRunner said:

" @EpicSteve: wow you can bitch on the internet!  im sure your parents are very proud. "

No Caption Provided
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sopranosfan
    @ToadRunner said:
    " @EpicSteve: wow you can bitch on the internet!  im sure your parents are very proud. "
    Wow you can bitch about people bitching on the internet!   I'm sure your parents are very proud.

But I just bitched about somebody bitching about somebody bitching on the interned.  Dude I so rule.
    ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ryoma122

man i love my psp best thing i ever got

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EpicSteve
    @sopranosfan said:
    " @ToadRunner said:
    Wow you can bitch about people bitching on the internet!   I'm sure your parents are very proud.  But I just bitched about somebody bitching about somebody bitching on the interned.  Dude I so rule. "
    You just created a paradox. ;)
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By lead_farmer
    @Goldenroad: My friend liked them a lot.  I personally never played them.  I should deal with that.  I was just listing the ones I had actually played enough to pass judgment on.  I also forgot that Resistance Retribution. It played pretty well in my opinion.
    kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kishan6
    @EpicSteve said:
    " It's the only modern system I've never bought and never intend to buy for lack of software support. I feel that says something. I don't want a system that's purpose is to release smaller versions of PS3 games once every 4-6months.  "
    damn u have alot of systems
    Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Goldenroad
    @lead_farmer:  
    i think i spent more time playing lumines than any other game, simply because it did what handhelds are meant to do, created a simple game tht i can play on the bus or the train to college and pause put the system on standby and pick it up again later on. thts surely the type of gaming developers should be aiming for, not something trying to be deep and involved like some games have tried.  
    loco roco is another prime example of the psp creating a good concept for the system it is, a simple game which is well designed and accesible, but then again it was veryy repetitive, thts why i think the psp wont survive much longer
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Willy105

The PSP is alive and well in Japan.

It's just in the western world that Sony has abandoned it and threw it away.

KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KinjiroSSD

Getting a PSPgo reinvigorated the system for me. I had a 2000 before but rarely played it because of the size. However, with the go I carry it to work and play PJ Monsters, WIpeout Pulse, and MPO during lunches and breaks. The Pause game feature allows me to be very flexible.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By eroticfishcake

I don't know about other people but I still play my PSP a lot (maybe because my sister's DS is somewhere around the house) but there's many good games for the PSP like the one's lead_farmer mentioned. You'll probably find other games that you might play a good deal. I compiled a list of PSP games that are worthy of some attention here. Some of my favourites include, Pirates!, Pangya Fantasy Golf, Gran Turismo and Half Minute Hero and many more.

Come to think of it, I play mine a lot...but anyway, with games like Persona 3 Portable and Metal Gear Peacewalker I'm sure the PSP would last a bit longer. It's not as popular as the DS but it has it's moments.

lancer75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lancer75

These threads are so stupid.  The PSP is not 'dead'.  The PSP is selling relatively well in Japan and it is not selling too poorly over here either.  People don't talk about the PSP as they talk about other platforms, but the PSP does have a relatively large community (relative to what you think, that is).  The PSP does have a lot of ports and doesn't have too many AAA releases, but it also has tons of games that are just below that and are still relatively fun to play.  Also, FF agito XIII is coming out in the future, Valkyria Chronicles 2 will be great and everyone knows about MGS: Peace Walker.  Even though there aren't as many supremely anticipated releases on the PSP, a lot of the PSP exclusive games that are looked forward to buy many people in the world and I really don't see how the PSP is dead.  It's actually quite popular in Japan and is selling well.  I really hate it when people realize they haven't played a platform in a while and they immediately jump to conclusions about the platform's demise as a whole.  For example, I haven't played a PS3 game (other than NBA2k10) in a while, since I bought my new computer, but I would not say that my PS3 is dead, that's just ridiculous.  Portable gaming isn't talked about as much and people are more likely to take a long hiatus from it.  I guess that's why so many people are able to come together and form an ill-conceived notion of the PSP's demise.

hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hai2u

maybe not the PSP but the PSP GO sure is

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mosespippy

I played the japanese version of Valkyria Chronicles 2 for 300 hours in february and march. Maybe that's because my PS3 died in January, or maybe it's because that game is fucking fantastic. It's alive if you play it and it's dead if you don't, just like every other console. To me, the Wii is dead.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By xyzygy

Yeah. The PSP is dead. I have never ever wanted one, the control scheme is terrible and like someone said before, the DS satisfies basically all my portable needs.

Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Goldenroad
    @lancer75:
    if you read my original blog post you wud have seen that i didnt specifically say i thought it was dead, i was provoking debate over this general opinion of it being dead, its not just me, read this whole thread and you will see many ppl who think it is. Thank you for fighting your corner, tht was the purpose of the thread, i dont intend to offend ppl who are big fans of the psp, i congratulate you if you can still find fun to be had on the psp, but with the number of games failing on tht platform i felt it necessary to have my say.  

@mosespippy:
    the wii may be dead to the so called 'hardcore' gamer but for casual gamers it is alot more desirable, i mean by this point it is a common accessory to a tv in about evry living room in the world, so it works well in that area of the market, as displayed by the failure of more adult games on the wii, like madworld etc thts not aimed for the right audience of wii gamers, who wud rather have games like warioware and animal crossing.  
    however the psp doesnt fit into either market, it is neither for the casual gamer or the hardcore gamer and finds itself awkwardly straddled between the two, but satisfying neither, hence why i think its time is up.. 

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RichardLOlson

That is a good question and my answer would have to be not yet.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#32  Edited By Icemael

It's got more upcoming titles I'm interested in than the DS, and when it comes to already released games, they're about equal, so as far as I'm concerned it's alive and well.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By Faint

was the psp ever alive?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#34  Edited By AgentJ

Dead? Tough to say. I imagine the new God of War they just announced for it will breathe a little fresh air into it, but the system has been kind of comatose from the beginning. 
    Theres some good stuff there, but not really enough for most gamers. I pick it up occasionally, but companies have essentially stopped making software for it, making a purchase now worthless.

Personal PSP Collection

1. Lumines II
    2. SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs - Fireteam Bravo
    3. Me & My Katamari
    4. Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower
    5. Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
    6. PaRappa the Rapper
    7. God of War: Chains of Olympus
    8. WipEout Pure
    9. Dissidia: Final Fantasy
    10. Fate/Unlimited Codes
    11. Tales of VS.
    12. Jeanne d'Arc
    SythonX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SythonX7

Pretty much, though I still have a few sweet games for it and there is a new Monster Hunter coming out Q4 2010 so thats something for me to look forward to as I'm a big fan of Monster Hunter.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

If the PSP is dead than so is the DS, because both have completely fallen off my radar. 

That being said, I use my Go on a daily basis. Call me stupid, but having an iPod that can actually play Street Fighter is pretty damn cool. There are a few high profile releases on the PSP though that I'm kind of excited about though. I'm most likely going to pick up Fat Princess, to say nothing of fucking PERSONA 3. For the most part though, there has a serious handheld slump that's been going on for awhile now.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By nukesniper

It is dead and will continue to be dead until people decide to make games for it that don't feel like PS3 games that were shoved into a portable console. 

Games like Patapon, Lumines, and Metal Gear Acid did things for the PSP that made it good and the games looked great. Games like Assassin's Creed, Army of Two, etc. just make you wish you were playing the game they are based on on the bigger screen. 

The DS has been doing great recently with games like Professor Layton, Picross 3D, and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I wouldn't want to play any of those games on another system, so now I find myself sitting in front of a TV playing my DS. The PSP doesn't do that for me.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#38  Edited By psykhophear

This is sad to hear because I love the PSP. When it first came out, I bought loads of PSP games and brought it with me everywhere.  I think it's one of the coolest handheld devices yet but having said that, the PSP has a few shortcomings. The thing that disappoints me the most is putting videos into the PSP. Rather than providing a software that comes along with the PSP to help manage and convert videos and stuff (like iTunes), you instead have to use a converter from third party companies, which I think it's pretty stupid.

The PSP tries to be a very macho handheld compared with the Nintendo DS, which seems like an interesting idea but it just doesn't work. Sony needs to diversify more with their game library and should advertise more. I still love my PSP and I do try my best to support it as much as possible.

kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By kingkorn69

Yea I would say it is

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By JJWeatherman

Persona 3 Portable is coming soon. Until that game is out, it's not dead.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MikkaQ

The only reason I bought one is because it was the only modern console I hadn't bought yet. Played it like twice. I didn't really like the selection, too many miniaturized console games, not enough unique experiences. I don't even know anyone else who owns one. 

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By agentboolen

Its a great system if you want a portable gaming machine on the go but it is fighting a losing battle.

Atta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Atta

my 2 cents: the psp is currently the only platform I am playing on. I find that it's main flaw is the absolute blandness of it's games. they always seem to be very restrictive in what you can actually DO. most people consider crisis core to be an awesome game for the psp but in all honesty...the game has a few levels with different skins and some dialog/video. same thing with most(if not all) psp games. 

that said, the best game I ever played on my psp is Final Fantasy IX. that was a year ago. if you visit anime vice you'd know that ff9 was released only a few weeks ago. so basically what i'm trying to say is: playing a psp as it was meant to be played is for tools. most games blow. but if you get a custom firmware for the thing you can play almost ANY game up to the ps2 era...which is awesome. also...it kinda verges on illegal. some say it's ok, some say it's "stealing"

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By chrissedoff

no, just sucky

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By defaulttag

MGS: Peace Walker, Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, are all still yet to come out, so I'd say, no, PSP is not dead.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WickedCobra03

I personally love my PSP.  I mean how many games are you looking for?  I have easily over 20 games for it and they have kept me busy since March-ish of 2005.

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ben99
    @lancer75 said:
    " These threads are so stupid.  The PSP is not 'dead'.  The PSP is selling relatively well in Japan and it is not selling too poorly over here either.  People don't talk about the PSP as they talk about other platforms, but the PSP does have a relatively large community (relative to what you think, that is).  The PSP does have a lot of ports and doesn't have too many AAA releases, but it also has tons of games that are just below that and are still relatively fun to play.  Also, FF agito XIII is coming out in the future, Valkyria Chronicles 2 will be great and everyone knows about MGS: Peace Walker.  Even though there aren't as many supremely anticipated releases on the PSP, a lot of the PSP exclusive games that are looked forward to buy many people in the world and I really don't see how the PSP is dead.  It's actually quite popular in Japan and is selling well.  I really hate it when people realize they haven't played a platform in a while and they immediately jump to conclusions about the platform's demise as a whole.  For example, I haven't played a PS3 game (other than NBA2k10) in a while, since I bought my new computer, but I would not say that my PS3 is dead, that's just ridiculous.  Portable gaming isn't talked about as much and people are more likely to take a long hiatus from it.  I guess that's why so many people are able to come together and form an ill-conceived notion of the PSP's demise. "
    This guy speaks the truth
    Goldenroad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Goldenroad
    @lancer75:
    MATE, read my post at the top, i was commenting on the push on the PSP recently, im not saying i think its dead, the title is to spark debate, very happy tht you have your opinion,  
    but 1 --> jst because its your opinion doesnt mean its right 
    and 2 --> dont insult my thread when its a very inoffensive post, i just want to hear peoples opinions cos i know tht its a widely held opinion  
    so dont be a jackass 
    aprecciated x

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By uniform

Dead or not, I don't care. I use the thing to watch videos, and as a past consoles emulator. Is Valkyrie Chronicles 2, and the Persona 3 remake not coming out for it? Those would be day one purchases for me. If that's dead, then I'm fine with it being dead.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Godwind

There was a time when the PSP and DS were very close in sales, off by a few million.  The DS really didn't take off until New Super Mario Bros was released.  That is when there was a huge shift from development from the PSP to the DS.

As for being dead?  I don't think so, it still has a crowd supporting it.  It could be on the verge of breaking the overall sales of the GBA in a few years.  The problem is that Sony doesn't give the PSP loving tender care it really needs.  If they can get games such as Dragon Quest, a true Final Fantasy game, A Jak and Daxter Game, and a proper Crash Bandicoot game, they be able to push more hardware.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.