Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

PSP 3000 + Large memory stick = Best JRPG vector ever?

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#1  Edited By jeffrud

I'm going to be moving in a month or two, which will add an hour commute to and from work every weekday. What better way to pass time on public transit than indulging in the games I passed over for school during the last several years! I have a DSi which is rad, but am looking for ways to play some PSX stuff, and the Personal series. The natural response to this is probably a Vita and Persona 4: Golden, but that is a nearly $300 proposition before taxes. On the other hand, I could acquire a used PSP 3000 for about $70, grab an 8GB or 16GB memory card, Persona 1, 2, 3, and every one of the PSX Final Fantasy games digitally for $70 through legal means. That's spitball $150 for hundreds of hours of games. Am I a jackass for just coming to the conclusion that the PSP is an insane deal, or am I stark raving mad?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Hunter5024

I bought my PSP for exactly this reason. Bear in mind that the original PSP doesn't play games at the ps1's native resolution. You can play with the picture shrank (shrinked?) and two black bars on the side, which makes text kind of hard to read, you can stretch the picture to fit the screen, which makes everything look kind of warped, or you can play without the shrinkage and have the top and bottom of the screen cut off. None of the options look ideal honestly, and I'm not even really the picky type when it comes to this stuff. These games weren't made for such a small screen, and this system wasn't designed for them either, the functionality just came in a patch. I've heard that the picture quality of psOne games is greatly improved on the Vita. I still played the entirety of Chrono Cross on my Go and didn't think it was terrible that way, and I definitely don't regret owning the thing, but it's probably something you will want to know.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.