Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Thinking about getting a PSP Go... Worth it?

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MikeGosot

So, i thinking about getting a PSP Go for Christmas, it's cheaper than PSP 3000 but many people said the PSP Go was a failure, so if someone could explain why the PSP Go failed, and if it's worth getting one, i wuld be grateful. I'm not much of a "handhelds" guy, the last handheld i've ever bought was a GameBoy Advance and i play that to this day, so that means i will not buy a Vita, not even a 3DS for a LOOONG time. 
    Also, since my sister will get a DS, please don't come to say "YO, GET A DS INSTEAD." 
    So, ahn... Back to main question: Is it worth to get a PSP Go or i should get a PSP 3000? Or save my money?

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By hwy_61

Jeff bought one, and he always seems to allude that he never uses it. In my opinion, don't buy it.

vegoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By vegoku

Hey, I got a PSP GO. Its a great device for what it does. The only issue is for games. Not a lot of the games I wanted to play are/were available to download from the store. Also, because of digital only, the games are rarely on sale like UMDs.

I would say if you had to get a PSP I would get the 3000. But I personally wouldn't get one since I NEVER use it since like others have said, the gaming I want to do is on a TV not in my hands.

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ABritishNerd

Don't buy it the games are overpriced and limited.

Muerthoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Muerthoz

I think most PSP games never got a downloadable version. If you got a GO you would be missing out on the UMD Only games.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Slaegar

Don't get a psp go. The size is even less comfortable than the normal psp. Its a little late to be getting a psp if you plan on getting a vita, but if you really want a psp, I would definitely go with a psp 3000. The PSP Go is only good for showing off to people 20 years from now how silly sony was.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FlarePhoenix

The PSP Go failed because it came out at a time most people had lost interest in the PSP, and offered no way for people who already owned a PSP to transfer the games they'd bought a physical copy of onto the digital-only platform. On top of that, a lot of PSP games haven't seen a digital release, and you're locked into whatever games were released in your region (PSP Games are region free).

Honestly, I'd wait for the Vita to come out. Even if you don't want to spend the money on that, it's more than likely going to knock the price of the PSP down. Whenever I decide to buy a console/handheld, it's usually because there is a game on it I really want to play. I remember I bought the original Playstation entirely because I wanted to play Dragon Ball Z: Budokai. Is there any particular games you really want on the PSP?

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By phish09

No no no...you can buy UMD games for dirt cheap right now, or you can get a PSP Go and have to pay full price for most games on PSN. Plus it's a smaller screen than the regular PSP. There is absolutely no upside to buying a PSP Go over a PSP 3000.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Vexxan

Don't do it, if you really want to play PSP games just get the regular model. 

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NyxFe

As one of the few people in existence to own one, I quite like mine. The size is excellent, and I only play weird downloadable games anyway.

Can't recommend it on good concious though, I'd hold off for a vita since it does all the same and more.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO! The psp go failed before it came out. Every fan boy on the internet kept telling me, oh! Publishers will start supporting downloadable games soon, just you wait! And I look on the store now a few years later....I don't see crisis core, dissidia, portable ops, and I thought it was on the store- peace walker. On the psp 3000, you can download games to a cheap memory stick duo, or buy a umd disc. Whatever your saving from not getting the 3000, you'll be also buying lots of frustration along with it. Plus, if you have big hands? The go is DEFINATELY not your system of choice

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Agreed with everyone else, go for the 3000.

The PSP is awesome by the way. If you like RPGs and strategy games then you'll have a lot of great games to choose from.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By kashif1

@thechronodarkness: I'm pretty sure dissidia and peace walker are on the store but yeah, some of the best games on the system are unavailable with a psp go.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By kashif1

That being said, if you like jrpgs or Japanese game in general get a psp, totaly worth it

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By DarthOrange

YES! I have one and love it. GO for it, and seeing as how the games are digital, they will all transfer over to the Vita should you ever get one.

Edit: Give me a few minutes and I'll make a video to show you how great it is. I'll show all of you!

Edit 2: Here as promised i made it a topic and gave my reasons.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kingzetta

get a 3000

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By CptChiken

NO,  just no.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By ventilaator

The PSP is worth it, the PSP Go is the opposite of that.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikeGosot

So, uhn, it seems like i will get a PSP 3000 then. Also, these are the games i want for the PSP, so, if someone know if all of them are available for download, i will GO for the GO(Ha!): 

Persona.
    P3P.
    Tactics Ogre – Let Us Cling Together.
    Darkstalkers – .

ZHP.
    Jeanne D’Arc.

Persona 2 – Innocent Sin.
    Hammerin’ Hero.

Dissidia 012: Duodecim Final Fantasy.

GTA: Wars.

Wipeout: Pulse.
    The Legend Of Heroes: Trails In The Sky.
    God Eaters Burst.

Pursuit Force: Extreme Justice.
    The 3 Birthday.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By MormonWarrior

From the mass opinion I've heard from multiple sources, the GO isn't as comfortable as the standard model, it's severely limited and puzzling as to what the point even is since the cheaper, regular model does everything it does and more. Plus, UMDs are extremely cheap to pick up at game stores or online. If you're not gonna get a Vita, get the regular one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.