Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

Worth picking up now?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

#1  Edited By MightyDuck

Since it's inception, the PSP was one of those things that I paid attention too but really never thought much about purchasing.

However, now that the price has been reduced for a bit...I'm starting to wonder if it'd be worth picking one up.  The psp Socoms and Syphon Filters are what have kept me the most interested in it.  However, I'm not sure if the initial $130 is really worth the investment for a few games here and there.

Thoughts?  Are those of you that purchased one, happy with your purchase or does it just sit on the shelf when you could simply play a console instead?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Buy a used one. That way, it will be worth the investment for a few games here and there.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I'd say yes.

There are several notable games on the PSP (Tactics Ogre, Lumines, Kenka Bancho: Badass Rumble, ZHP, to name a few) thta will last you several hours.

IMO it has one of the better libraries of this gen.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By yakov456

Plenty of good games, and region free. Go for it, even if you don't play it a ton it's good to have when you are bored. Plus a bunch of great games for download on psn.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MightyDuck
    @yakov456:

Is it fairly easy to transfer purchases from PS3 to PSP, etc?  I have a few ps1 classics and I thought I remember reading that they could be put on the PSP.  Is there a specific cable that is needed?  I'm assuming that's dependent upon how big of a SD card you have correct (as far as how many games can fit on the psp)?
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @GetWhatYagive said:
    " @yakov456: Is it fairly easy to transfer purchases from PS3 to PSP, etc?  I have a few ps1 classics and I thought I remember reading that they could be put on the PSP.  Is there a specific cable that is needed?  I'm assuming that's dependent upon how big of a SD card you have correct (as far as how many games can fit on the psp)? "
    The cable for your PS3 controller works for the PSP-PS3 connection.
    MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MightyDuck
    @SethPhotopoulos:
    Thanks for the heads up about that.  Good to know.

Sorry about the double topics guys.  Not quite sure how that happened.
    DarthVicious82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By DarthVicious82
    @SethPhotopoulos:@SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @GetWhatYagive said:
    " @yakov456: Is it fairly easy to transfer purchases from PS3 to PSP, etc?  I have a few ps1 classics and I thought I remember reading that they could be put on the PSP.  Is there a specific cable that is needed?  I'm assuming that's dependent upon how big of a SD card you have correct (as far as how many games can fit on the psp)? "
    The cable for your PS3 controller works for the PSP-PS3 connection. "
    So you can actually transfer the PSOne Classics from the PS3 to the PSP?  I thought you had to use RemotePlay to play the PSOne classics.  If you can actually transfer them then the PSP is becoming even more attractive to me (as a dedicated Square Enix portable.  ha)
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @DarthVicious82 said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos:@SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @GetWhatYagive said:
    The cable for your PS3 controller works for the PSP-PS3 connection. "
    So you can actually transfer the PSOne Classics from the PS3 to the PSP?  I thought you had to use RemotePlay to play the PSOne classics.  If you can actually transfer them then the PSP is becoming even more attractive to me (as a dedicated Square Enix portable.  ha) "
    You can transfer the PSOne classics if you have enough memory.
    DarthVicious82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By DarthVicious82

Sweet.  I may have to bite on a PSP with a 4Gb memory stick pro duo for PSOne Classics.  The only hesitation I have on pulling the trigger now is hearing about another price drop at E3 or for a potential gift card deal.  The sweet spot for me has been <=$100.  $130 is so tempting though.  thanks for the info.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.