Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation TV Support

Concept »

The PlayStation TV is a media streaming device based on the PS Vita. It can play many (though not all) Vita game cards, as well as supporting some PSN games and PS4 Remote Play.

PS TV actually useable thanks to a small hack

aguststef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By aguststef

I just heard of a small hack that allows the PlayStation TV to play a lot of PlayStation Vita games that the PS TV isn't normally compatible with. I don't know about you guys but I was seriously disappointed with the lack of Vita games support the PS TV has (only a fraction of the Vita library is playable on the PS TV) and do think this is great news. Hopefully this will be a kick in Sony's ass to support the device to a certain degree.

That being said I also found this video where some guy is playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss which normally isn't supported on the PS TV and he shows you just how playable the game is on the device thanks to the hack.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As cool as this is, I'm fairly certain that for most people the appeal of the PSTV started and ended with Persona 4 Golden.
    I dunno, I just treat mine as a PS1 PSN dumping ground. Something about the idea about having a pocket sized PS1 is neat.

aguststef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I think you're right, but I also really like the idea of being able to play PSP games on a bigger screen. The size of the device is so nice that I always take it with my when I have to travel

Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Frybird

Got a PSTV for cheap this week and well, for the massively cheaper price it's nice to play stuff like Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa Rebirth and Dragon's Crown (if you only happen to have the "free" PS+ Vita Version) on the big screen with a PS4 Controller.

That said:

a) It's a weird device being essentially a sort-of-hacked PSVita, and i feel like the UI is even more awkward if you have a Vita and know how it's "supposed" to work.

b) It would seem redundant for some, but i'd love if you'd be able to connect the PSVita to the PSTV. You would easily get rid of all the compability issues if you'd be able to use the Vita as a controller for the TV. There'd obviously no need to stream video between the devices, and without that hurdle and Remote Play functionality already in place, it's almost disappointing that Sony didn't come up with that/can't find a way to do it/doesn't want to bother making it.

aguststef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WipEout 2048 however plays like a charm on the PS TV, I can't believe it isn't officially supported:

Loading Video...

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I will make use of this as the hack gets better. I hear it does not work with everything, unfortunately. Specifically, I'm hoping they get Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles to finally work on the thing. Cool that Uncharted and Wipeout work like champs with, what looks like, only gyro controls being an issue. The fact that Sony locked out a fair number of these games still baffles me.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is good news but I don't know how much this will really change things - it will be interesting to see just how well you can actually play the non-PSTV games (or if it's possible at all - like when the Uncharted game hits the point where you simply cannot proceed without the Vita tilt controls).

I was playing a bit on my PSTV last night and lamenting what a stilted piece of tech it turned out to be, so this news comes at a great time.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It always felt like there was a general reason why they limited the amount of games on the TV such as a game that required touch controls in their mechanics. I'm not saying this is not cool but the Vita is selling at a fair price right now where if you wanted one you might as well get one.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm disappointed the title wasn't "PS TV actually useable thanks to a small hack - Sony Hates It/Him!"

That being said, I definetly wouldn't mind playing way more games on the damned thing. I bought it for dirtcheap, but have barely used it after I found out it couldn't play half of the games I tried to play.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a PS TV literally yesterday and was kind of disappointed when I checked the store and found that FF: Tactics isn't compatible with it. I was ready to write it off as a Persona 4 machine, but this could change that. Maybe.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would make me change my opinion on it, but I have a feeling within a couple of weeks it'll be patched away.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So when do we think Sony will drop support for PSTV or even stop making them?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I think we're pretty much there now, lol. You can already buy them for like $30-$40 and I haven't heard anything about Sony rolling out any updates for it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z said:

I think we're pretty much there now, lol. You can already buy them for like $30-$40 and I haven't heard anything about Sony rolling out any updates for it.

I haven't found one for less than $70. But I also haven't been looking very hard mostly I just look them up on amazon from time to time but I always miss the sales.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z: I got mine on Amazon for $39 but I've seen them down to $50 at Walmart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turtlebird95 said:
    @devil240z said:

I haven't found one for less than $70. But I also haven't been looking very hard mostly I just look them up on amazon from time to time but I always miss the sales.

Hm, well, they're $40 on Amazon right now, if you're interested in picking one up.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this will be a kick in Sony's ass to support the device to a certain degree.

That would be nice, but they don't even support the Vita, and the PSTV is an even lower priority (if that is possible). I love my Vita, but the PSTV was a giant waste of money for me.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I forgot I had one of these.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I DID but one and messed around with Persona a bit, but honestly most of the games I'd like to play on it are PSP games that aren't supported. Some of those Final Fantasy remakes, kingdom hearts, crisis core, portable ops etc aren't compatible

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@turtlebird95: does pstv have a netflix app?

Sadly no. If it did i probably would have bought one at some point rather then a Roku stick, but it wasn't even worth Sony's time to get that working on there.

Nice hack, but since i already have a Vita it doesn't change my mind about continuing to not care about the PSTV. Which is sad since i loved the idea of a streaming box that could have played PS1/PSP/Vita games and remote play for my PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PSTV is a Persona 4 box. Anything else is a bonus.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@devil240z said:

@turtlebird95: does pstv have a netflix app?

Sadly no. If it did i probably would have bought one at some point rather then a Roku stick, but it wasn't even worth Sony's time to get that working on there.

I'm actually kind of amazed it doesn't. Even the Ouya had a Netflix application.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I might actually get a Playstation TV if I can find one for dirt cheap. I still kinda wanna see the enhancements of Persona 4 Golden firsthand and hearing about this hack might make it worthwhile if some of my favorite PSP games show up.

noblenerf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By noblenerf
    @planetfunksquad said:

I bought a PS TV literally yesterday and was kind of disappointed when I checked the store and found that FF: Tactics isn't compatible with it. I was ready to write it off as a Persona 4 machine, but this could change that. Maybe.

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions is compatible, unless it's some region thing. I think PS1 Classic FFT is as well, but haven't checked myself.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, FFT, and PS4G are reason enough to own a PSTV.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noblenerf: yeah, all of those games show as not compatible where I am. I'll try the hack.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.