Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation TV Support

Concept »

The PlayStation TV is a media streaming device based on the PS Vita. It can play many (though not all) Vita game cards, as well as supporting some PSN games and PS4 Remote Play.

The Playstation TV and Persona 4 Golden

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Junkerman

Hey Duders!

I'm looking for some input from some folks that have used the Playstation TV and Persona 4 Golden.

I sold my Vita a long time ago; however I'm lamenting not being able to ever play Persona 4 Golden ever again and started looking for any other way to possibly play it.

I'm never going back to the Vita, playing through Persona on such a cramped handheld the first time was an uncomfortable experience - however I just found out about the Playstation TV and was wondering if it is a suitable alternative.

I'm looking at getting the hardware and a memory card for about 150 Canadian, which I'm comfortable putting down if it means I can have P4G for all time.

I understand this hardware was not favorable looked upon when it launched and has since fallen out of Sony's favor. As long as I can download my digital copy of P4G and play it on my TV with a Dual Shock 4 I'll be happy. Is this till the case?

Thanks!

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I LITERALLY bought it to play P4G on my TV and it definitely does that well.

It's a better alternative for people who just want to play P4G but don't care about other vita games. Go for it.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I think you might be in one of the only situations where a PSTV makes sense. It should work great for what you want to do. I bought mine when Best Buy was selling them for $50 with a game and a Dualshock 3. I wanted another Dualshock anyway, and that bundle was cheaper than buying the controller separately. If I ever have the urge to play P4G again, that's how I'll do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

A PSTV setup was how I was intending on a play through of PG4 soon

Trogdor95592

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Trogdor95592

I actually played most of my vita games on the PSTV. I know Sony dropped it real quick, but most games are compatible on it, and you can even simulate the touch screen with the touch pad on the dualshock 4. Of all the games I played on both the Vita and the PSTV I saw no disadvantages on the TV.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah ended up getting it for 50 bucks USD. Figured out I could still order from Amazon.com even if I'm in Canada. Waaaay better deals.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought the PSTV exclusively for P4G. Worked perfectly well, and I have no regrets.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@junkerman: I was going to suggest checking your local walmart, since they are clearing them out for $10, or $30 if you got the dualshock bundle. There not a bad deal if you just want to play a game or two, but those memory cards kinda kill the deal if you cant find one for cheap, there still stupid expensive still.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LITERALLY bought it to play P4G on my TV and it definitely does that well.

Same here. Of course, it helped that I got a stupidly cheap deal on the PSTV, something like £20 brand new.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

@junkerman: I captured a bunch of footage (example below) of P4G using a Vita TV with a DualShock 4. Works completely fine, and the image quality isn't bad to say it's a handheld game.

Personally I still prefer playing on Vita, but Vita TV is a fine way to go.

Loading Video...

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: Thanks for the thought! Unfortunately none of the stores in my area really carried them to begin with and so there isnt a lot of stock anywhere that I could find. Cant even find used ones on the local buy/sell or at any of the games shops. I think I missed the boat by a year or so maybe.

I ended up getting a pretty good deal on Amazon so I'm not too put out by the whole thing. Also looks like a physical copy of P4G is waaaaay cheaper then the memory card so I think I'm just going to buy it again as a hardcopy and use the internal PSTV memory.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm in the same predicament as OP- but in the end i think i've decided to just borrow a friend's unused ps3. is 'golden' worth the extra $$ to buy a pstv (vs. the OG digital version on ps3)?

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

One of my friends bought it just to play Golden a few years ago and he hasn't had any problems with it.

MaKiNbAcoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Persona 4 Golden was the first game that made me happy I had a PSTV. It plays fine.

LtGrimdark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LtGrimdark

@mellotronrules: It depends on what your focus is. Apart from additional content - some of it completely missable - there are also changes and improvements to the game mechanics. The one that sticks out to me the most is that you can actually choose the skills a new persona inherits instead of having to rely on the RNG during fusions. Here's a complete, maybe slightly spoilery, overview of the changes introduced in P4G.

Edit: Additionally, P4G has of course been remastered for 16:9 aspect ratios.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ltgrimdark: gotcha. that's solid info- much appreciated!

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By slyspider

I still tell people the PS tv is a fucking cool thing. 50$ for a full console that has a good amount of really cool games, p4g being the best, is a hell of a deal

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.