Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Underground

Concept »

PlayStation Underground was a CD magazine published by Sony for the original PlayStation from 1997 to 2001. Each of the 17 issues included demos, video interviews, behind the scenes content, and much more.

Why did PlayStation Underground die off?

Avatar image for saturnvengeance
    saturnvengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By saturnvengeance

???

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By blackbird415

because of the internet. sad I know, but true

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Lukeweizer

I remember inputting a code on my Underground disc to watch a secret Resident Evil 2 trailer. Then I shit myself when they revealed the giant Crocodile.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Afroman269

It's so underground that you don't even know that it still exists.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

The last true PS underground stuff came out around the time the ps3 was set to release...the internet had already destroyed most of what you could ever get from playstation underground...sadly Sony still believes they have some sort of exclusivity on information and thats why you get things like qore which are woefully behind the times by the time they are released and don't really offer anything of value.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#6  Edited By Marino  Staff
    @saturnvengeance: Blackbird is basically correct.  Underground was a quarterly thing, so you were only getting info every three months.  Many paper magazines had begun including demo discs on every issue, so Underground didn't even have an advantage there anymore.  When Underground first launched in 1997, it was way ahead of its time.  No one was doing demo discs at that point.  The idea of being able to play games before they were out and getting video footage of things like E3 and behind the scenes at dev studios was unheard of.  But with the increasing popularity of the internet, getting that sort of content was much easier.  The last real issue of Underground was sent out shortly after the release of the PS2.  The branding carried on, but the actual magazine stopped.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By ch13696

Damn, I liked getting free stuff from them too. I managed to get s PS2 folder that held memory sticks and games. Also got a hat and some paper congratulating me on being a member. I put that up in a frame and everything. Still have it too.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

Damn, I miss Underground.   

I still got my GAP card somewhere too, but it might be at my parent's place.   

Good memories the 90s.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By trophyhunter
    @blackbird415 said:
    " because of the internet. sad I know, but true "

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.