Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Bought a Vita, now what? (Suggest me some awesome games)

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I'm getting a Vita for an upcoming trip and I'm looking for suggestions on titles I might have missed in considering what games to get. So far I'm pretty sold on getting the Danganropa(s), any other of those visual novels types worth looking into? (SteinsGate maybe?) I know Persona 4 Golden is the game most people will think to suggest but I've been through that game on PS2 already so I'm not really looking for that again (unless someone has a really passionate argument). But I have heard people make comparisons to Suikoden/Persona when they're talking about Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel, anyone got experience with that title?

Also, how about fighting games or brawlers worth checking out? I've seen a few people mention Muramasa, visually it reminds me of Odin Sphere but how does the combat compare?

I know there's a ton of indies to pick from. I'll probably look to pick up Axiom Verge and maybe Shovel Knight. Any hidden gems there?

I'm open to just about anything though. If there's suggestions on games that are more pick up and play and less time demanding during every session that might be good too as I am guessing a lot of the games I am interested in does require a bit of time every session.

Thank you in advance!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By bigsocrates

The Bit Trip is 6 games in one and very much pick up and play (though pretty hard.)

Surge Deluxe is a decent puzzle game. It's touch screen based but plays pretty well on the Vita and is reasonably original.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

@pezen: Outside of the standard suggestions (Persona, the Zero Escape series, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, and Danganronpa being the biggest):

Severed - I am currently playing this, and it's really fun so far. It's by DrinkBox studios, the makers of Guacamelee (also really good on the Vita if you have yet to play it). It's a first-person RPG where combat is swipe-based via the touchscreen.

Persona 4: Dancing All Night- No seriously, it's actually pretty good. If you like Ouendon style games and Persona, it's a fun version of one of those. I wrote a review if you want to read it.

Muramasa Rebirth - If you never got into Muramasa, this is the version to get. Ryan wrote a review of the original game that is a pretty good representation of what to expect.

Axiom Verge, Fez, Luftrausers, Rogue Legacy, and plenty of other indie games do work very well on the Vita.

seemah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your into rogue like, rogue lite , roguish, or whatever you want to call them I'd suggest these games:

Spelunky

Binding of Isacc

Downwell

I also go back to super meat boy and monkey ball all the time.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir! It's really good, and better than the original. And it runs so well on the Vita!

Persona 4 Golden!

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel is really good! It takes the amazing story power of the Legend of Heroes series and makes it more palatable to the modern audience. I actually like the characters, and I have a low tolerance for JRPG cliches. The sequel is coming out soon, so it's a good time to pick it up.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guacamelee and Olli Olli are great. For fighting games, I play Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but I understand that can be an acquired taste and not for everybody.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Persona 4 Golden: So I won't quite give an impassioned speech, but I will say the improvements are worth it, even if you have already played vanilla Persona 4. The new scenes are great to see. The Marie Social Link adds a new dynamic to the story with how your party members appear together in more scenes and with the extra dungeon you get if you max her out. The game extending to winter is not just a nice thing to have to give you a few extra days, but it gives you a nice moment to reflect on your journey. Cleaner graphics, new music, and various gameplay improvements also make it feel like an expansion rather than a straight port. Then again, this is my GOAT, so take that into account, I guess. (It's also worth mentioning you can get Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable as a PSP downloadable game. If you've never played it, you absolutely should)

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc + Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair: These games are arguably the next best games on Vita. Crazy stories, great characters, amazing class trials and general twists and turns through out. If you are interested in visual novels, they are an absolute must. The only pause I have with saying these are the second and third best Vita games is....

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward: Danganronpa may be a bigger Vita staple, especially since there are two games on the Vita with a third coming out eventually. However, I would argue Virtue's Last Reward is even better. Why? Well...I have to tell you a bunchof other stuff. Let's just say...this game is fucking NUTS!!! 999 never came out for the Vita, which you don't really need to play (you mainly just need to be aware of the fact there was an earlier game), but Zero Time Dilemma is coming out next week if you are interesting in another game of that style. (These aren't straightforward point to point visual novels like Danganronpa. These are games that have multiple endings which you should see as much of as you can)

In terms of other visual novels, the next big one has to be Steins;Gate. I love the anime a great deal, and the hour of the visual novel I've played seems really good. I just started it at the wrong time and haven't made it past that opening. I am going to make a sincere effort to play through and beat that game. The problem is, I just don't know when. Someday though!

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth: I probably don't need to get into why I think The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is neat. What I will say is the Vita works really well as a platform for twin stick shooters. Since the Vita's launch, I've had a lot of fun playing The Binding of Isaac, Hotline Miami, and Super Stardust Delta.

Guacamelee!: I think this game is pretty underrated. Really fun combat, style, random quirkiness sprinkled throughout, and Metroidvania style traversal in a nice digestible package makes it a really good game. This was actually towards the top of my GOTY 2013 list.

---

Those are probably my favorite Vita games. I've played others on and off, but those are the main noteworthy titles for me. In terms of fighting games, there's one of those BlazBlue games on the Vita, if that's your thing <shrugs>. There are a bunch of JRPGs that have made their way to the Vita. If I were to ever play one of them, it would probably be Tales of Hearts R, but with the other more recent Tales games coming to PC and PS4, it seems unlikely I will actually play them. Same with Legend of Heroes, since I bought The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky almost two years ago on a Steam sale, so I should probably play games I already have before buying more games.

Hope this helps.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By nightriff

P4G

That's it, enjoy your Persona 4 system like the rest of us.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off the top of my head,

Some of the "bigger" titles are pretty good. LittleBigPlanet, Tearaway, Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Killzone, etc.

There are some solid fighting games on the system, I've personally played and enjoyed Mortal Kombat, DOA5 Plus, BlazBlue.

Indie-wise, there's been a lot of great stuff mentioned already, Severed being a prominent recent one.

Always worth keeping PSP and PS1 games in mind as well. If you haven't played Persona 3, Persona 3 Portable is a pretty good version of that game (though arguably not the version to first experience).

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Muramasa: Rebirth is my favorite game on the system, and the DLC stuff makes it even better.

And once you get Spelunky on the Vita, it can become hard to play anything else.

chris630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two recent releases that are great are the remaster of Odin Sphere and Severed, definitely worth picking both those up. Plenty of other good games have been mentioned already too, Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Persona 4, and tons of PSONE games.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ericjasonwade

Velocity Ultra 1 and 2

Gravity Rush

Bastion

Rouge Legacy

The Rayman games are good on there.

And Severed is really really really fucking good.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

@pezen said:

any other of those visual novels types worth looking into? (SteinsGate maybe?)

I'd make that Steins;Gate definitely if I were you. Full review here, but the short version is that it is a stunning piece of story telling and character development. One of the best games I've ever played.

I'll balance out other people's suggestions by saying I don't particularly recommend Virtue's Last Reward. Full review here, but the ending soured the entire experience for me. A shame, because 999 is really good (no Vita version), and VLR could have been even better.

I'm playing through Odin Sphere Leifthrasir at the moment, and whilst I'm not ready to give a full review yet, the combat feels great and it is a visually stunning game. Definitely worth checking out.

If you're looking for more Persona, Vita has you covered. P4G makes multiple additions that make the game worth revisiting even if you've played the original IMO. Major additions: two new social links (Adachi and Marie [new character]), new optional dungeon, new epilogue scene that ties the game together nicely, new events (e.g. Halloween, ski trip, beach trip), new areas (e.g. Okina City) as Yosuke finally gets his motorcycle, and a bunch of other gameplay additions and tweaks. It's a great example of a re-release done right.

Persona 3 Portable (PSP) is in the store as a download, and definitely worth playing if you haven't played P3. Bit of a tougher sell if you've already played P3(F), but this is a great version of the game. It pulls in some improvements from P4 (e.g. direct party member control), adds a female protagonist option with new S.Links (much better overall IMO), and is all round a great game.

Persona 4: Dancing All Night is also surprisingly good. The music is fantastic (as you probably know having played P4), most of the remixed tracks are good, and the story mode is essentially a direct sequel to P4G (10-15 hours long). Even though I'm not hugely into rhythm games, I loved P4D.

If I had to pick one game from that list, it'd be Steins;Gate (P4G would be about equal if you hadn't played the original). I can't recommend it highly enough.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not knowing who you are makes it hard to say "PLAY THIS" but here are a list of games I have put an unexpectedly large amount of time into, at least somewhat because of how great they are as a portable/pick up and play style experience that the system does so well.

Guacamelee

• Guacamelee
    • Hotline Miami
    • Steamworld Dig
    • Wipeout 2048

(I just want to highlight Wipeout for a sec because no one ever talks about it at this point. I have never really liked Wipeout but this entry totally turned me around and I've played at least 20 hours of it. Fabulous game, tons of content, looks and runs really great, totally recommended)

• Dragons Crown
    • LUFTRAUSERS
    • Lumines: Electronic Symphony
    • Spelunky
    • shit, even Resogun is ok on the system
    • Velocity2x
    • Proteus

(ok, I want to highlight Proteus too. It's a game that is a hard sell but a great buy. It's hard to make sound not-lame but it's one of the things I'm most glad I bought for the system. It's a simple, dreamy, zen experience not unlike the exploratory moments in The Witness)

• Fez
    • Rayman Legends
    • Rogue Legacy
    • X-Com: Enemy Unknown Plus
    • Severed
    • Bastion
    • Patapon :)

Too many good games to recommend. Hope you like the system.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you for all the (awesome) suggestions, seems like some of the games I had my eye on was a good call and I feel like I now have a pretty long list of options outside of what I had looked at in various categories as well. Looks like I'll be pretty set on my vacation and then some. And I was also reminded at looking up some classics that are vita compatible, to see if there are older games I never got around to.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.