Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Did not know it was so bad for the Vita

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I bought a Vita today because the price was right and wanted to get it before the new version with the worse screen. The store still had Vitas from launch! I got a free SIM card for 3G filled with a free week of pre-paid 3G that had expired a long time ago and I got the pre-order bonus package with head phones because they said they still had a huge stock of that left since launch.

I knew it was not selling much but still having stock left from launch seems crazy after almost two years.

Anyway I am happy with it so far and because I am already a PS plus member I instantly get free games. I hope it picks up steam soon and sell better.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wow, that has to be unusual. I got one of the 3G ones when they were blowing them out earlier this year, but I haven't seen a lunch unit in a long time.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By rachelepithet

Screen quality be damned Id much rather have that lime green slim one. But there's nothing AAA coming to Vita in the next 11 months besides Borderlands 2. Maybe at E3 they'll finally devote time to it. PS4 doesn't need as much 1st party now that 3rd party games are on par with or have exclusive DLC compared to the Xbox games.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By artelinarose

Yeah, I got a launch one myself a month or two ago that crapped out in 18 hours. I took it back and got a 3g one with a year of PS+ cause it was all they had left to replace it with though, so it worked out alright in the end.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I'm curious: what store/region? Is this a main chain that would go through its inventory if the thing was selling or a store out of the way that doesn't do much game traffic?

If you already have PS+, the Vita seems like a decent-enough value just by virtue of the free games every month. I still wouldn't buy one right now, but I don't think I'd be opposed to it after another price cut or two.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor Vita...Smart phones and 10 second attention spans are killing it.

I just hope it has a life as an emulator machine after they discontinue it. Get to hackin', boys.

stri26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By stri26

I got my vita about two months ago, and have loved it. It's perfect for brief pick up and play titles. Had a really good time with Guacamelee, and it's a great Divekick machine. Just bought Dragon's Crown yesterday (first major title I've purchased, everything else has been PS+ or small digital titles), and I'm really enjoying it. The lengths of each dungeon are perfect for doing a couple at a time without having to get too committed to playing a game.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By BlackLagoon

@dagas: 3G has too much latency for regular online multiplayer, so few games used it and there was little reason for people to shell out extra money for the more expensive model and a 3G subscription. Most Vita buyers just went for the WiFi unit.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By dagas

@ajamafalous said:

I'm curious: what store/region? Is this a main chain that would go through its inventory if the thing was selling or a store out of the way that doesn't do much game traffic?

If you already have PS+, the Vita seems like a decent-enough value just by virtue of the free games every month. I still wouldn't buy one right now, but I don't think I'd be opposed to it after another price cut or two.

I live in Sweden in a fairly large city and it is a video game/computer parts store that is one of the most popular stores for games in Sweden called Webhallen. So it is not some backwater toystore or anything.

To be honest I was going to get a 2DS but the free games from PS Plus tipped me over to the Vita. First think I did was to get Persona 4 Golden (not free however) and I suspect that will be my main game for awhile. I've heard that it is worth playing it even if you have watched the ER and played the game twice on PS2 like me.

I am missing some great JRPG's though. Apart from Persona there isn't much for it except for PS3 ports of Disgea 3 and the Atelier games. Seems both the 3DS and the Vita are lacking in JRPG's compared to the DS and PSP which both have a lot, but it is still fairly early in the life of the new consoles.

Speaking of Persona 4. A thick fog has set in today like I've not seen in a long time. I cannot see the houses on the other side of the street.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@dagas said:

I am missing some great JRPG's though. Apart from Persona there isn't much for it except for PS3 ports of Disgea 3 and the Atelier games. Seems both the 3DS and the Vita are lacking in JRPG's compared to the DS and PSP which both have a lot, but it is still fairly early in the life of the new consoles.

It depends of which flavor of JRPG you're looking for, but currently Ys: Memories of Celceta, Valhalla Knights 3, Sorcery Saga, and Demon Gaze are coming over in the next couple of months. Well, to North America at least, only the latter has been confirmed for Europe, but you can always import.

edsone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By edsone

@dagas: Vita really needs good RPGs. One of the reasons I couldn't justify I purchase for myself yet. There's something wrong when the main reasons I find for buying the Vita are fighting games. I don't see anything coming that I might find interesting ROG wise, except for Disgaea 4. It's sad really because Vita did so many things right in my opinion.

Now about the 3DS I have to disagree, 3DS already has a good library of rpg titles but of course will get better. Some haven't been released in English though. The DQVII remake, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Bravely Default, Pokémon X/Y, Youkai Watch, Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl, Rune Factory 4, Fire Emblem: Awakening and more! There're things I dislike about the 3DS but there's a reason it's one of the best platforms out there now: it's got quality games, loads of them!

That said, I do want to play Blazblue, Dead or Alive 5 and Mortal Kombat 9 on the go. I guess if they announced Persona 4 Arena or made 3rd Strike available or released Virtua Fighter 5: FS would have to buy a Vita :p Vita needs more rpgs to go with Disgaea :(

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MideonNViscera

It's the pricier and inferior product. I dunno why they didn't learn that after the PS3. I guess they did in time for the PS4 but obviously the Vita was a victim of old Sony. Then again the PS4 really just has what the X-Box 360 had in 2005 so . . .

Retrocore9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vita is a great system but you have to import games to see all it has to offer. I just got Akiba's Trip 2 which is great and can't wait for Dynasty Warriors Gundam in December.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It was funny to hear Yoshida talk about the Vita like it's slowly being put to pasture, along with the PS3.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for Borderlands 2 for Vita (is that still happening?)

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vikingdeath1: Sure, I don't think anyone has said any differently. That could be a great little title on the vita.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

At least it has Hotline Miami.

klaptos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way Sony treats it is kinda shitty. I really love my Vita, but it definitely needs more exclusive games.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By recroulette

It's a solid indie game machine if you don't have a pc to play games on.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AMyggen

Sony seem to have given up on the Vita as anything more than a niche thing and an accessory to the PS4. GB's Yoshida interview was very telling in that regard. So it's a 3DS if you want a dedicated handheld With lots of exlusives, or a smartphone if you're into that type of gaming. Sony is probably done With that market after the Vita.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

If you want to see how dire things are for the Vita check out the upcoming releases...

I want to get a Vita, but at this point I just don't know. Hopefully the PS4 connectivity is awesome.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@amyggen said:

Sony seem to have given up on the Vita as anything more than a niche thing and an accessory to the PS4. GB's Yoshida interview was very telling in that regard. So it's a 3DS if you want a dedicated handheld With lots of exlusives, or a smartphone if you're into that type of gaming. Sony is probably done With that market after the Vita.

Yep, and yet people go nuts because Patrick said the Vita is embarrassing for Sony. He wasn't saying it's a shit console, but it is a massive failure and Sony has completely given up on the idea of it being it's own, unique system. Sony is openly saying this now, what's so hard for the fanboys to grasp.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AMyggen

@dallas_raines: Yeah, Patrick made clear that he wasn't talking about the device itself, but sales. The numbers for the Vita is totally embarrassing, and is the reason why Sony's moving all their bigger studios to the PS4. Just check out what games are coming out to the Vita alone, it's almost NOTHING. They're even openly saying that they're doing that now! The Vita is a fucking fantastic device technically, but it's now a way to play some indie games, and PS4 games via remote play.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@retrocore9: akiba'strip? I saw the youtube clip, please explain yourself sir. I wish they cared enough to translate the japanese titles and at least put em out as a download. Still waiting on Yakuza 5

webnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen: I got a Black Friday vita from amazon and I've made piece with the fact that I'm not getting it expecting the volume of exclusives I'd find on my 3DS XL. Remote Play, the psp digital library and the occasional exclusive like Tearaway or Killzone Mercs is enough for me right now. I hope the Vita TV revitalizes it in Japan but I'm not holding my breath. Going to check out the interview dump truck again. I'd like to hear Yoshida's justification directly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.