Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Did PS Plus make you want/buy a Vita?

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By benspyda
    So tempting...
    So tempting...

I just purchased a PS4 now it's come back in stock and signed up for PS Plus for the first time. Seeing all these free Vita games I now have access to and many more in the future, I really have the urge to pick up a PSVita.

Has anyone been drawn into buying a vita because of PS Plus? I feel it's either a really good deal or an evil marketing scheme to get you to buy all their gaming machines.

So should I commit to getting a Vita and complete the PS4/PS3/Vita trilogy? Are people happy with their Vitas?

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#2  Edited By Kidavenger

PS+ was the thing that pushed me over the edge, I ended up liking it quite a bit though and I've bought a bunch of games for it.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

buneroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ps plus was definitely a factor. I don't know what's free right now, but when I got mine Gravity Rush, Uncharted, and Soul Sacrifice were free.

After playing games on my vita, looking at a 3ds again afterwards is painful. Also whenever a persona game appears on a platform, you can guarantee I'll be there.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I kinda just bought it because I wanted the OLED screen. I do have PS+ now and I do want to get Minecraft on it when it comes out sometime this month.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't have one yet but when I do get one I will have a buttload of vita games to play!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I bought a Vita because I wanted to play Persona 4 Golden. The PS+ games are an added bonus. I've got a lot of use out of it. I have Persona 4 on a cart and that's the only cart I'm buying so that it can stay in that slot. On my 16Gb memory card I have:

• Spelunky
    • Hotline Miami (PS+)
    • Divekick
    • Lumines Electronic Symphony
    • Smart As... (PS+)
    • Limbo*
    • Machinarium (PS+)
    • Sonic Transformed (PS+)
    • Rayman Origins
    • Motorstorm RC
    • Soul Sacrifice (PS+)
    • Dokuro (PS+)
    • Tearaway
    • Castlevania SotN ( PS+)
    • Resident Evil 2 (PS+)
    • Hot Shots Golf 2 (PS+)
    • 10x8
    • Where is my Heart? (PS+)
    • GTA Liberty City Stories (PS+)
    • Corpse Party

As you can see I've gotten a lot of value out of PS+. I haven't even tried some of the other PS+ games like Gravity Rush or Wipeout, and deleted Uncharted to make space on my card.

*(I had the PS3 version already and it showed up as Free in the Vita store even though it's not cross buy)

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I had already bought a Vita for Persona 4: Golden before they announced what was coming to the Vita through Plus, but boy was I surprised/happy when they did.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By benspyda

The Vita game I am interested in the most is Soul Sacrifice, was that any good? Also I never had a PSP so catching up on some PSP games may be cool.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

Nah, I own a Vita without PS+. I don't have much time to plays games so I have no reason to sign up for the service. When I want to play something I can just buy it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mosespippy

@benspyda: Soul Sacrifice was fine for the most part. It is the first game I've ever played where I skipped the story scenes. It's narration is just so god damn slow and the text doesn't appear on screen until the narrator says it so it was taking forever for story sequences to happen. Co-op questing online was solid fun though and always had people of all levels playing. I think I ended up playing for around 80 hours, which is a lot considering how little variety I had to my battle tactics. Every fight was basically the same attacks but with elements tailored for the bosses weakness. Inventory management was problematic, as you could end up with like 12 versions of the same spell, just with varying levels of power and number of casts. Multiplied by six elements and that's a lot for just one spell type.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The Vita is looking increasingly tempting to me with a library of games steadily building through PS Plus. I kind of want it even if only to have a portable Spelunky machine.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Having a ton of games from Playstation plus certainly helped. I do wish that i had "bought" Disgaea 3 when it was free. The main factor was my psp died when i wanted my patapon fix

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By awesomeusername

@mosespippy: Just a little note, Limbo is cross-buy. It wasn't when it was announced but enough people bitched and they made it happen.

On topic, my answer is yes. I think. When Tearaway was announced, that's what made me say "I want a Vita." But the week the Instant Game Collection was announced, the Vita was on sale that Friday (Black Friday) so I jumped because the price. The IGC was just a fantastic bonus but I wasn't going to spend $250 on the system. But for $180, Sony had me.

Gravity Rush is the best Vita game, if you exclude Persona 4 Golden because that's a port.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By awesomeusername

@benspyda: Read my above post but also, Soul Sacrifice is pretty good. I only put a couple hours into it but I liked what I played. I'm not big in that genre though so I wouldn't know how it holds up against other games. I plan on returning to it one day but my current love for my PS4 is in the way. You should go all in on PlayStation though. I have a PS3, 4 and Vita and I can say I haven't regretted anything. You can also use the Vita as a second controller for games with local co-op on the PS4 so that's a plus (pun not intended but oh well). So yeah, going all in on Sony is a good idea when you have PS+. Free games plus (I did it again!) steeper discounts on a ton of games every month (like 2 huge sales every month) is a fantastic deal. Just be careful, your backlog grows exponentially. Which is my only gripe with PS+.

If you plan on getting one, they're having a sale right now on a bunch of Vita games. Also, the March PS+ games for Vita are Thomas Was Alone, Lone Survivor, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (PSP game) and Unit 13.

Link to sales, just scroll down a bit.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/02/25/playstation-store-update-324/

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

It's a pretty big influence on my purchasing decision for sure. It's a solid portable console, and with the "free" games I'm happy with it so far.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Yes. It did influence me to buy a Vita. No. It's not evil. Why? Because the Vita is the greatest dedicated handheld gaming device in the history of gaming devices. I love my Vita!

P.S. PS+ will make you feel like a highway robber, for all the free games and awesome sales for it. Not the other way around.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VierasTalo

I'm so damn close to getting one every day. Aside from the +-stuff I have so many PS Classics that I will never play on the TV.

TheMathlete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I really tempted to get a Vita soon and ps plus is a big influence on that decision. There are so many games that I have ready to go, but I'll need a big memory card with it. Plus I never had a psp so that is another reason to pick one up.

I'll probably end up buying one and Persona 4 Golden in the next couple days. But should I just get a 32 gb card or go on ebay and get a 64 gb? Depends on the price I guess.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yeah, I got my Vita last December, and PS+ was one of the factors behind my purchase. I find it to be a good JRPG machine, mainly for PSP and PSOne games. And I gotta say, I'm more looking forward to either indie games or Japanese games on Vita, than AAA Western games on Vita.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Yes. Ended up selling it though because I didn't like the interface or most of the games on the thing. I may get another one sometime but man, I really, REALLY hate the interface.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#23  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator
    savepoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS+ definitely had a great pull on me to get a Vita and I'm very glad I got one. I absolutely love the thing, it has been my primary gaming device these last few months.

Persona 3 Portable has definitely had its hooks in me these past few weeks as well... it's a perfect JRPG device. Just wish the memory card prices would come down in price, my 8GB card is a little hard to manage.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I bought it back in September and had a bunch of games waiting for me from PS+. Nowadays, I play it more than all my other systems combined.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It definitely made me want a Vita. It also made me want to pick up a PS3 again (I had a PS3, but had it stolen a few years ago). Around Black Friday I stacked up three years of PS+ while it was super cheap. It'd be a shame for me to miss out on free games, especially because I'll have PS+ forever now. Playstation Plus is brilliant marketing. I'll want the service as long as I have Playstation hardware, and the service makes me want more Playstation hardware!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By nightriff

Persona 4 Golden made me want a Vita, PS+ is a nice bonus right now.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Vanick

PS+ definitely helped push me over the edge to buy a Vita. Thanks to PS+ I had about a dozen games for it before I decided to buy one.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'll keep "purchasing" Vita games with PS+, build up my free library and wait for a good deal on one.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By Sergio

Nope. PS+ didn't factor into my decision to buy a Vita. It's a nice perk though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By GERALTITUDE

It does make me wish I had one but that's just not going to happen budget wise.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only slightly. Persona 4 Golden was what eventually pushed me over the edge, though. Had been talking to a friend about getting one so I just started looking at options I would have with one and I had never really considered PS+.

It's not a bad way to start off my Vita ownership, and it even got me Payday 2 and Remember Me on PS3.

Also I've put 115 hours into P4G.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

yeah, it was a factor. It's a pretty nice piece of hardware that's finally starting to get some decent games.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By benspyda

Apparently P4G was Sony's greatest weapon for selling the vita.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've realized I was just smitten with my PS4 and that there still isn't a game on vita I actually want to play yet. The free games were appetizing but not enough. Also I'd never be able to keep up with the constant free games on 3 sony platforms like I can't keep up with my humble bundle games on pc. As they say, too much of a good thing will make you explode... Well something like that.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.