Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Do you think the Vita has failed/tanked?

• 171 results
    AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AcidBrandon18

I guess I have just been on the internet too much lately but everyone is talking all doom and gloom regarding the Vita. Saying that its doomed and is a failed system and whatnot. I mean it's not like Sony is just going to call it quits and just stop making them, right? Didn't everybody say the same thing about the PS3? No games! Too expensive! RIIIIDDDGGGEE RRRRAACCCEERR!! I love mine. Then again I have never owned a smart phone. I guess I'm just looking for some more positive energy regarding the Vita and its future prospects. What do you think about the Vita?

Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Alkaiser

I'll buy one when they get PS1 games working.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Sackmanjones

Waiting for a 3DS like price drop

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aquablak

I see the Vita as pretty much in the same situation as the PSP: it won't "win" the handheld console war, but it will likely do well enough for Sony to justify it. I still want one, and I'll likely get one between now and Christmas. It had a pretty amazing launch line-up, but more games both now and on the horizon would be nice.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

All will be redeemed once Persona 4 Golden comes out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

It's hardly too late for it but Sony doesn't seem to have the slightest clue what to do with it. They seemed to make the same mistake that they did with the PSP and positioned it as a portable PS3 when that doesn't work. Console experiences don't always translate so well to handhelds.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By jewunit

I do not think the system has failed. I think it needs more third-party game support. Once it has that support, the system should sell much better.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By drac96

It's way too early to say if it's failed or not.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By WinterSnowblind

People hated the PS3 because of the price and lack of games.. but it eventually had a price drop and developers started to release games for it.

They've just announced there will be no Vita price drop this year, there are still very few games and even Sony couldn't be bothered showing anything for it at E3. They can still turn it around, but they're giving us very little reason to care about it.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#10  Edited By galiant

For me, personally? I consider all modern handhelds to be failures because I haven't felt compelled to buy one.

Can't speak for anyone else, obviously.

betterboulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By betterboulder

In my opinion, it still has a chance to be big or at least a bit more profitable but as of now the outlook is not good unless some major juju happens by the end of the year.

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By DoctorWelch

Yep. I've recently been hired by a Gamestop (I know, I know, but that's a story for another day), and we have maybe 10 or 15 Vita games, and I have no desire to even try a single one. I still wouldn't spend the money to buy a 3DS, but at least with that system I actually have a desire to play some of the games on it.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ace829

@Sackmanjones said:

Waiting for a 3DS like price drop

Unfortunately, it looks like you would have to wait until next year for that. I am personally waiting for the 32GB memory card to not be so damn expensive. I'll bite when it lowers to at the most $50.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scrawnto

I never got a PS3 or PSP, so I will probably pick one up before long to get the Persona games and Sound Shapes. I hope it does well enough.

@WinterSnowblind: They did just announce Tearaway, a new game from Media Molecule, during Gamescon.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BlackLagoon

Every time someone says the Vita is dead, Adam Boyes gets punched in the face. WHY DO YOU HATE ADAM BOYES?

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bane122

Right now it would be disingenuous to say it hasn't been a failure but that doesn't mean it is already dead, nor does it mean the hardware itself is bad. It can still be turned around if Sony gets their shit together and starts supporting it properly.

When a system has the sales this one has had, and the manufacturer outright says it has trouble getting third parties to make games for it, it's a failure so far.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By thatdutchguy

Yep it pretty much failed so far...

ftomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ftomato

I own one, and I'm quite happy with the amount of games it has. It helps that I didn't have a PSP and didn't play most of the games on the Vita that are also on the PS3. There are a couple of PS1 JRPGs I'm interested in playing as well (Xenogears, Vagrant Story, etc.)

More generally, it's impossible to say it has failed or tanked, because that's past tense, and the Vita still has a lot of time to bounce back, if it's in a bad position. I feel kind of hesitant to say it's in bad shape right now, because the only sales numbers officially released are from Japan, and I kind of feel that the games that have released so far (short of Ragnarok Odyssey and Persona 4 The Golden) are western focused. In addition, the information about how the game sales are doing are even hazier due to the focus on digital distribution. I still haven't bought a physical game for mine, and I currently have no intention of doing so.

If the question is do I think the Vita will end up a failure? I think it'll end up doing OK. I don't think it will be an enormous success, but it'll be a role player and won't be a huge loss for Sony. I think a big advantage the Vita has over the PSP is that it has the same features as it's competitor (3DS except for 3D screen, which I think will prove to be a gimmick, and phones), and so once the period that Nintendo fights over getting 3rd party exclusives is over, there will be a lot more games that release on both systems.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AcidBrandon18
    Vestigial_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vestigial_Man

I really like mine but I have a problem with the prices of games. I bought most of the games I wanted at launch but the ones I've waited to drop in price are still too expensive. I do like the system though and the games I've played on it have been really good (probably 3 of my top 10 games of the year at the moment are Vita games).

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By Sergio

Too early too tell.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By maginnovision

I hasn't even been out for a year. I have about 12 games I like on mine though. I have been waiting since it came out(i bought a 3g and 32gb when it came out) for PS1 games though. Supposed to be the 28th just waiting to see if it will be the whole library or not. Overall I think it's a good system, much better than the PSP. Like anything else it's about what people want, and apparently people think it has no games. All that means is they need to make more games that "people" recognize I guess. Either way I'm not too worried about it. P4G and PS1 classics that I haven't played will fill the rest of the time that my actual vita games won't as far as my mobile gaming goes. Windows phone has some good games, but touch screen controls are still something I hate when it'd be so much better to have actual controls. Ilo Milo is a good example, it works with my windows phone keyboard which makes it a MUCH better experience. Touch screen only is why I won't ever go to a phone for all my games.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Before I would have said no because the Vita is still young and most games were probably still early in development. But after Sony admitted the Vita was lacking support, I don't know.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

It's certainly in a disadvantageous position, and has a long, long way to go before I'd say it's worth it, especially at the price they are asking.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

no, it will probably be justified later, kind of like the psp.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

dunno, really want one waiting for that pricedrop. Heard this thing is more powerful than a PS2 so just release every PS2 game on the marketplace for like 10 dollars each and I will buy one full price now! Plus I heard they have cracked the Vita so it will sell alot more units just no games.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JazGalaxy

@AcidBrandon18 said:

I guess I have just been on the internet too much lately but everyone is talking all doom and gloom regarding the Vita. Saying that its doomed and is a failed system and whatnot. I mean it's not like Sony is just going to call it quits and just stop making them, right? Didn't everybody say the same thing about the PS3? No games! Too expensive! RIIIIDDDGGGEE RRRRAACCCEERR!! I love mine. Then again I have never owned a smart phone. I guess I'm just looking for some more positive energy regarding the Vita and its future prospects. What do you think about the Vita?

I think the difference bewteen the vita and the PS3 is that people are suggesting that the Vita is competing poorly in a space that is, for all intents and purposes, done with. Sony has leveraged their entire effort on the idea that people want super high definition handheld play experiences and that assertion has, thus far, not been met with a warm reception from customers.

Personally it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, as a PS3 owner. They're even touting this "you can take it with you" concept for games that link from PS3 to Vita, but honestly, if HIgh Def gaming matters to me (which is what Sony's strategy continues to be) why would I want to experience ANY of these short, expensive, thrillride-games on a less than optimum hardware setup? I would constantly be thinking "well, that escape scene would have been way better on my bigscreen tv and surround sound speakers" (If I had such things).

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Maginnovision said:

I hasn't even been out for a year. I have about 12 games I like on mine though. I have been waiting since it came out(i bought a 3g and 32gb when it came out) for PS1 games though. Supposed to be the 28th just waiting to see if it will be the whole library or not. Overall I think it's a good system, much better than the PSP. Like anything else it's about what people want, and apparently people think it has no games. All that means is they need to make more games that "people" recognize I guess. Either way I'm not too worried about it. P4G and PS1 classics that I haven't played will fill the rest of the time that my actual vita games won't as far as my mobile gaming goes. Windows phone has some good games, but touch screen controls are still something I hate when it'd be so much better to have actual controls. Ilo Milo is a good example, it works with my windows phone keyboard which makes it a MUCH better experience. Touch screen only is why I won't ever go to a phone for all my games.

I do wonder what games people would recognize, though. I mean, I feel like the DS gained notoriety for having super high quality little "handheld" games. Sony seems to want to go for more "hardcore" games, and I feel like those wil always be lost in the shuffle of MORE "hardcore" games on PC and leading consoles.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seppli

Depends on how it will connect to PS4. If the PS4 has a similar functionality like the WiiU, with a gamepad having a touchscreen and back-touchpad, and does stream VITA games emulation onto it - then it will be a success.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Seppli said:

Depends on how it will connect to PS4. If the PS4 has a similar functionality like the WiiU, with a gamepad having a touchscreen and back-touchpad, and does stream VITA games emulation onto it - then it will be a success.

That thing for the Wii U is fucking stupid. I vote that the Wii U is the death of Nintendo home console.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By kindgineer

I want to buy one, but I don't feel like having to bring up 1/3 of the purchase price extra just for some competent hard-drive space. It's 2012 Sony, do you really think we're dumb enough to think that storage costs that much?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MideonNViscera

I heard they're doing a thing where you can play your PS3 games on it for free. Certain ones anyway. That'll probably sell it to some PS3 owners.

TehPickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TehPickle

For me, they fucked it up when they forced over-priced proprietory memory into the equation.

I also believe that if Nintendo didn't pull the huge 3DS price drop out of the bag when they did, the Vita would've sold like hotcakes.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think some people, as is often the case, have been far too quick to declare that the Vita would be failure, but even if you think it's failing now, I don't think it can be called a "failed" console when there's still plenty of time for improvement. None the less, I think many critics of the Vita raise some good points. The console, its games, and its memory cards are collectively very expensive, it's largely offering games which are cut-down versions of existing Sony console titles, which wouldn't be such a problem if it weren't for the rise of platforms like the iPhone and DS in recent years, which have introduced games better suited to on-the-go play, and arguably, even as a "mini-console" it has a rather weak library.

I can see why fans of the Vita enjoy the console; there is something to be said for having console-style games available on the go, especially if you live a certain lifestyle, and for a handheld it does have impressive graphical capabilities, but I also do think there's some sense in the idea that paying a few hundred pounds for a not-quite-console is not an appealing prospect for many.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Absolutely it failed.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#36  Edited By Little_Socrates

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Seppli said:

That thing for the Wii U is fucking stupid. I vote that the Wii U is the death of Nintendo home console.

Just so you know, having played the thing, it's really inconsequential. The advertising apparently uses somebody with REALLY small hands, because the screen is only slightly larger than that of an iPhone. The sticks and buttons feel great, though. It's a nifty controller, and the touch screen controls implemented in ZombiU, Rayman Legends, and Project P100 are inobtrusive and fun. I like the WiiU gamepad a lot better than last generations Wii Remote. The "pro controller" felt fine as well, though I'd probably rather have a 360 gamepad for most games I intended to play with lots of local co-op or the WiiU gamepad for any single-player game.

As for the Vita, I just don't get the sense that Sony can support the Vita properly when they're busy launching Orbis, presumably for next year to remain competitive with Durango. One of the few games that could have really increased consumer interest in the Vita was Sound Shapes, and we all know that went to PSN as well. I mean, we can all agree that Persona 4 Golden sounds neat (though if you haven't played P4 already, THIS REMAKE IS NOT FOR YOU) but there's really nothing else to be excited about. Maybe that new Media Molecule game?

I think the Vita is a cool handheld with a handful of cool games. I'd really like to play the new Lumines, I'd like to play Gravity Rush, and I'm super-curious about P4 Golden. But I'm willing to pay about $100 for all that stuff, 'cause I don't play handhelds very much at all anymore and I've already played P4. And the third parties aren't gonna step in unless Sony gets serious about the Vita, and Sony has no real time to get serious about the Vita because they're probably launching a new console next year.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seppli

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Seppli said:

Dualscreen/touchscreen gaming allows for some cool gameplay mechanics. I absolutely expect all next generation platforms to include touch in their gamepad solutions.

Why would you say it is 'fucking stupid'?

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Seppli said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Seppli said:

Dualscreen/touchscreen gaming allows for some cool gameplay mechanics. I absolutely expect all next generation platforms to include touch in their gamepad solutions.

Why would you say it is 'fucking stupid'?

Because it involves using a oversized controller, sure the Wii U will have some gimmick games for it, but it won't be supported after the 1st year.

QuistisTrepe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By QuistisTrepe

The optimist in me would say to hold off for another year until we pronounce it a flop. Then again, I've been accused of trying too hard to be an optimist. The Vita was flawed from the get go. Trying to shove more proprietary formats down out throats? Big mistake. 3G capability powered by AT&T? Was that some kind of sick joke? Telling gamers to repurchase PSP games that they already own? Classy move.

I wish I knew why Sony hates their customers so much.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be buying one by the end of the year.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By chrissedoff

I've never seen a Vita out in the wild. To me, it seems like a really expensive alternative to the iPhone, with games that would be more fun to play on a PS3. If it finds any success it won't be in North America or Europe, which suits me just fine. I've always seen Sony's forays into portable video games as a mistake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yep. I'll still get one after a price drop and when the only game I want isn't a remake of a game I already have.

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Alexandru

yes

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Too early to tell, but so far they seem to be repeating the same mistakes as they did with the PSP. It's as if Sony has learned nothing at all.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By zeforgotten

No idea, too busy playing it when I'm in a bus, train or on a plane. 

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HellBrendy

I might get one if I get drunk enough, but as for now I'm really pleased with my iPhone and iPad for my carry around gaming needs.

malic3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By malic3

its not dead... yet... theyll have to come out with more games and change the UI itll be a hit... its really powerful and akll but without much support itll be dead in the water soon

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By scarace360

No it just needs more games and some support and people will come. Hopefully.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By hippie_genocide

It's definitely too early to tell, but I hope it doesn't fail. I want to get one, just waiting for a price drop and some more games.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By Hunter5024

If this thing doesn't pick up in sales soon I can't imagine any companies wanting to make games for it, but I also can't see Sony wanting to drop it's price when they already lose money on every system sold, and I can't see any consumers wanting to pick up a system that is so expensive without any games they want to play. One of those 3 things will have to give or the system will be a failure. If it came with a real hard drive I might buy it. As it is I would be buying a 250 dollar system, then shelling out an extra 100 dollars for a memory card just to play some portable ps1 games at a better resolution, a port of a ps2 game I've already played, and a not so hot looking Uncharted game. Rip off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.