Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Got a Vita Slim, here is what I think.

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By chrisovc

So I was able to get my hands on the new Vita Slim, and after using it and comparing it have a few thoughts about it. Will try to keep them short and to the point.

Look and Feel

First holding the system it's very apparent how much lighter and thinner it is, It feels better to hold in your hands compared to the first model and the grooves on the back of the system have doubled in size, making it easier to grip and also making the touch-pad smaller on the system. The buttons also click more and feel better to push down compared to the first models.

Sound

I was surprised to find the sound is louder on the Vita Slim, From the speakers themselves to plugging in headphones.

New lights and plugs

The Vita Slim has two new notifications lights on the top of the system rather then the home button glowing blue. The charging cable has also been changed to a micro usb port compares to Sonys charger that was on the first models.

Battery

"Edit" After spending more time with it, I find the battery is much improved, also going through the manual (took awhile since i don't read Japaneses) You can replace the battery yourself it seems without voiding the warranty which is awesome.

The Screen

Now the screen for the new vita slim uses a LCD screen compared to the first models OLED Screen. The LCD screen seems to show colors in a more natural way (Tho pure white tends to have a yellow tint) where the OLED screen makes the colors pop and more vivid compared to the LCD screen. Now the LCD screen is no slouch, outside its easier to see the screen in the day compared to the OLED, tho if your looking at the screen from an angle, the OLED has better viewing angles compared to the LCD.

Final Thoughts

I really like the new Vita Slim, It's made some smart choices and is just a much more convenient (Micro Usb) and comfortable system to travel with and hold, I wish they did include the OLED screen in the new system, would of made is a more easier recommendation to give to others. (Even if its only being sold in japan). Tho if you don't have an OLED Vita for side by side comparisons, The new LCD screen looks just fine and you wouldn't really give the screen a second thought. I will probably spend more time with the vita slim, carry it around and see how it holds up, But I would say if your in the market for a Vita and can find a good prices OLED model, to go with that, There's still no word on when the Vita Slim is coming over to the states and importing it will cost more then the OLED version. I paid $210 for mine on Ebay where amazon has a OLED walking dead bundle that is $189 and is a 3G version.

So in short, the new Vita Slim is just fine and improved everywhere but the screen.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

These goddamn notification and power lights, man.

Between the 3DS XL and Vita that I keep charging on my nightstand, it's like a rave with all the blinking, pulsing, glowing lights going on.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Unilad

@psylah: DUDE. Cannot agree more! I swear between by tv, ps3, vita,toothbrush and macbook I could rave it all night long! I have to now unplug the ps3 and tv, and tactically position the toothbrush, vita and macbook so to avoid myself getting a charging light induced midnight tan!!!

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

No OLED is a complete dealbreaker to me, I prefer OLED over LCD anyday of the week.

Nice thread tough! Wanted to see some thoughts about it.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I don't usually go for weight-loss food, but Sony's new Vita Slim is pretty delicious.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisovc: Does it still require Sony's proprietary memory? I thought this new model was going to use something more standard, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. That's the one thing I'm holding off on. If they open it up to SD or something, then I will pick one up. But I refuse to be a slave to another system using shitty proprietary memory or HDs after the 360.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have one too. I like the size difference.

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: It's still using the proprietary stuff, Sony announced the cost of that would come down a while ago, that's probably what you are thinking of.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

I have a Vita slim as well, and I really like it. Battery life is improved, and the screen is excellent for what it is. I really like that they changed from the proprietary charging cable to standard micro usb.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sooty

I prefer the old one because of the screen and the way it looks, I have a charging cable that does micro USB, old-Apple devices, Vita and 3DS in one, so the charging cable makes no difference.

I think it is a pretty pointless redesign because the original is already fantastic and doesn't feel lacking. Probably mostly to get the screens made cheaper.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking: It's still using the proprietary stuff, Sony announced the cost of that would come down a while ago, that's probably what you are thinking of.

Maybe. Have they mentioned any specifics? Prices or a date?

The Vita is extremely appealing right now. Especially with all the games I've collected over the years with PS Plus. But I would like to have a decent sized memory card to hold these games without downloading and deleting them every time I want to switch games. Oh well. I guess I'll hold out. Not like there's any shortage of consoles for me to buy right now.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm going to be the idiot who pays $115 for a 64gb memory card.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@sooty said:

I prefer the old one because of the screen and the way it looks, I have a charging cable that does micro USB, old-Apple devices, Vita and 3DS in one, so the charging cable makes no difference.

I think it is a pretty pointless redesign because the original is already fantastic and doesn't feel lacking. Probably mostly to get the screens made cheaper.

This. The hardware on the original Vita is fantastic. I don't see the need for a redesign, but I guess it can't hurt.

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@miyuki: I agree, After spending more time with it, the battery is much improved over the originals, is not going down as quick and after looking at the Manuel, looks like you can replace the battery yourself and not void any warranty which is pretty awesome

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atwa: Thanks! also it is a shame they didn't include the OLED screen, probably to cut down the cost and slim the system down, I didn't think i was gonna prefer the slim over the OLED, but i think they did enough with the system that out-ways the OLED, for me atleast.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are the grip areas (ovals) on the back bigger than on the OG vita?

Or is it just an effect from it being shrunk slightly?

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By chrisovc

@psylah: The grips are bigger on the slim version, about twice the size

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisovc: Is the back touch area smaller, as a result?

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah: The touch-pad on the back is indeed smaller, still gives you plenty of room if a game requires it, but is not so big that you will accidentally hit it anymore

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought myself a first generation because I want to have one before they suddenly announce gen 2 for NA/EU and switch them up. I really like how thick it is because I have big hands and I really, really prefer an OLED over an LCD.

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: That's perfectly valid, I'm just happy to know, more and more people buying vita's, It may not have as many games as the 3ds but still has some great games and PS plus makes the vita a worthy investment.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisovc: Yeah I just wish it would sell more. They are truly great systems, wish more people would get them so developers would take notice. I am very thankful to the dedicated developers who are releasing games for it despite it not having super good sales. Very excited to pick up Ys Celceta soon!

Did you also happen to pick up a 64GB card? I really wish they would come to NA/EU.... don't understand what's taking sony so long on that front.

chrisovc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: I did pick up the 64gb card, tho it doesn't give you the full 64, gives you 59gb worth of room, still plenty of room tho, I have persona 4 golden, dragons crown, Ys, muramasa, terraria, soul sacrifice, 2 demos, and a few apps installed, still have 53gb worth of room left.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrisovc thats amazing. can't wait to get one as I'm currently rocking an 8gb lol. refuse to buy a bigger one until the 64 ones come here.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Looks good, I love the OLED screen in my current Vita though

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.