Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Having ps + makes me never want to buy a vita game.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

If I wait maybe I'll get it for free. On the 19th I'm getting uncharted and wipeout, I already have gravity rush tho. Hell maybe if I wait 6 month persona 4 will be free. I was going to buy ragnarok odyssey, but I'm just going to wait and see if I get it for free.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By eskimo

It certainly makes me wish I hadnt bought Gravity Rush or Uncharted.

Still, looking at the forthcoming lineup for Vita I can't see myself buying anything for it ever again, so at least itll keep me switching it on a logging in to PSN to get my free stuff.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sterling

I highly doubt Persona 4 will ever be one of the free games.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JZ

Gravity rush is free and that's THE vita game.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So you are saying that PS+ is so awesome it's actually hurting sony's sales

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlackLagoon

@JZ said:

If I wait maybe I'll get it for free. On the 19th I'm getting uncharted and wipeout, I already have gravity rush tho. Hell maybe if I wait 6 month persona 4 will be free. I was going to buy ragnarok odyssey, but I'm just going to wait and see if I get it for free.

Much like on the PS3, the "bigger" games will typically be on longer (3+ months) rotations, so there will probably be plenty of games that never show up on Plus. And it's one thing for Sony to decide to put its own top tier games on there to promote the Vita, for third parties the decision will be completely different. Persona 4 in particular will likely be a strong seller with long legs, and I doubt Atlus will agree to put it on Plus for years to come.

algertman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By algertman

@addictedtopinescent said:

So you are saying that PS+ is so awesome it's actually hurting sony's sales

THAT'S NEW EXCUSE!

"Vita software sales are bad because of PS+"

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By devilzrule27

@JZ said:

Well two things. One I wouldn't call it THE Vita game and two Gravity Daze is a Sony game, P4G is not.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

Then don't get plus and never worry about getting games for free.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlatantNinja23

Sony is making it possible to buy a vita but never actually have to buy a game for the vita. That's a problem until they start selling vitas to retailers at less than the production lost. With the PS3 the free games made sense. They were mostly games that were out of print so the publisher has already made the money it's going to on selling the discs, and if a digital version did already exist, it was obviously not selling. Also it creates a new group of users to sell possible DLC to. With the vita it's too soon, people would be buying these games with their vita, and now they just don't need to. I feel like these will be PS3 owners who most likely already have PS +, so they won't getting new subscriptions either. Then again, maybe PS + isn't that popular, maybe this will make no difference.

If cross play gets people to buy the PS3 versions of games than good for sony, If everyone just buys the games they originally were, that in now way helps sony. If anything they eat into possible vita software sales of the people who would purchase both. If feel like the better choice might have been PS3/Vita game bundles like with what they did with MLB. Users that buy both still get a big discount, and they make a little more money.

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Duffyside

I understand what you're saying, OP, but you could say the same thing about the PS3. I don't think it's silly to maybe adjust your purchasing habits and not buy as many games as you might have otherwise, but there's no way you're going to get every game you're even slightly interested in for free. Do like I do; buy the ones you absolutely have to have, and wait on the others, and you'll get pretty lucky.

@JZ said:

That's the second Vita game. LBP is THE Vita game.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#12  Edited By Raven10

I kind of agree with people that while I think this is an awesome deal for the consumer, I'm not exactly sure if it is a sound business decision for Sony. Right now I don't have a Vita, but I do have a PS3 and a PS Plus account, so there is nothing stopping me from getting all these free games for a system I don't even own yet. Then, if the Vita is still around in a couple of years, and I do get one I'll have a couple dozen games all ready to play and I won't need to actually buy any software to go with my system. Again, as a consumer I'm not complaining. PS Plus is probably the best deal in gaming right now, but it seems like a big risk for Sony to put so many of its top games on PS Plus so soon after the system launched. There just aren't a lot of good Vita games, and Sony is going to have a tough time keeping up a rotation of six games in there without cannibalizing their own actual sales of these games.

Sibs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sibs

@Raven10 said:

I kind of agree with people that while I think this is an awesome deal for the consumer, I'm not exactly sure if it is a sound business decision for Sony. Right now I don't have a Vita, but I do have a PS3 and a PS Plus account, so there is nothing stopping me from getting all these free games for a system I don't even own yet. Then, if the Vita is still around in a couple of years, and I do get one I'll have a couple dozen games all ready to play and I won't need to actually buy any software to go with my system. Again, as a consumer I'm not complaining. PS Plus is probably the best deal in gaming right now, but it seems like a big risk for Sony to put so many of its top games on PS Plus so soon after the system launched. There just aren't a lot of good Vita games, and Sony is going to have a tough time keeping up a rotation of six games in there without cannibalizing their own actual sales of these games.

They're probably just doing what they did when they initially overhauled PS+ - put a bunch of great games up to lure people to the service while simultaneously giving them a great reason to consider buying a Vita.

The way I see it, the Vita side of PS+ will become much less generous after it launches. They have plenty of options when it comes to what they could give us, so I am guessing we'll very rarely get a Vita game this early on. Instead, we'll get PSP games or discounted / free applications or small PSN exclusives. So I highly doubt it'll be detrimental. They're giving people a taste of what the Vita has to offer and inciting them into getting one and becoming a Plus member. And considering some of the bundle deals floating around, people will be more inclined to buy it if they're getting the Vita, a game, and a memory card for a lower price and getting a bunch of freebies from Plus.

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hwy_61

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't all the free games on vita first party? So, How much money does it cost Sony to make those games playable for $50/year? Don't they end up profiting?

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RE_Player1

@Duffyside said:

@JZ said:

I can safely say after putting in 35 hours so far on my early copy Persona 4 Golden is THE Vita game.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlackLagoon

@hwy_61: No, Jet Set Radio is SEGA, Final Fantasy Tactics is Square Enix, and Mutant Blob's Attack and Chronovolt (in EU Plus) are self-published indie games.

@msavo said:

@Duffyside said:

@JZ said:

I can safely say after putting in 35 hours so far on my early copy Persona 4 Golden is THE Vita game.

You're all confused here, THE Vita game is actually Virtue's Last Reward (so maybe it's not an exclusive, the Vita has the superior version so it still counts).

Duffyside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Duffyside

@BlackLagoon said:

@hwy_61: No, Jet Set Radio is SEGA, Final Fantasy Tactics is Square Enix, and Mutant Blob's Attack and Chronovolt (in EU Plus) are self-published indie games.

@msavo said:

@Duffyside said:

@JZ said:

You're all confused here, THE Vita game is actually Virtue's Last Reward (so maybe it's not an exclusive, the Vita has the superior version so it still counts).

... VITA HAS NO GAMES!!!!

hwy_61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hwy_61
    @BlackLagoon ah, right. I was only thinking of the retail vita games.
    killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killacam

@BlackLagoon said:

@msavo said:

@Duffyside said:

@JZ said:

no one (in their right mind) is going to buy a cripplingly under-supported system over one that has a super solid library just to be able to play the same game on an OLED screen. if i'm wrong, our planet is doomed.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BlackLagoon

@killacam: The 3DS version of Virtue's Last Reward has inferior graphics, poorer sound quality, and a game breaking savegame corruption bug. It's also not available digitally, and is region locked so you can't import the North American version with Aksys' excellent dub if you live elsewhere. If you're picking up a hand held for that game, the Vita is the obvious choice.

As for "cripplingly under-supported"... If you say so. Between finishing up Virtue, and having Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation and When Vikings Attack in my backlog, never mind that Plus will be giving me Gravity Rush, Mutant Blob's Attack and Chronovolt next week, I'm having a hard time finding the time to get through all of them...

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By Peanut

Another thread in which the handful of people who own a Vita try desperately to justify owning a Vita.

Guys, I have one too. We're not drowning in fucking games. Let's stop this silliness and quit lying to ourselves.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlackLagoon

@Peanut: Another thread in which the handful of people with a giant bug up their ass about the Vita jump in for no other reason than to be disruptive.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Peanut said:

Another thread in which the handful of people who own a Vita try desperately to justify owning a Vita.

Guys, I have one too. We're not drowning in fucking games. Let's stop this silliness and quit lying to ourselves.

Wow, you sound angry/remorseful. Sorry, but the Vita's turned out to be a very worthwhile purchase for me, although it didn't seem like it initially.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Shakezula84

I just pop in and say based on what we have seen on the PS3 version of Plus, only one (maybe two) game will be rotated out every month in favor of a new one. So I don't think it'll be a bad decision by Sony. Especially since im sure they have a backlog of games they can put out for free that don't sell anymore.

danmcn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By danmcn12

@Raven10 said:

Well you see, I think Sony wants people like you. You have PS+ with your PS3 but no vita. They hope these free games will entice you to buy a Vita. The Vita really needs hardware sales. Sony would be more then willing to take a hit on some first party games if it sells systems.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By Raven10

@danmcn12: Their ploy didn't work. I'm still not buying a Vita. Although I guess I might get one sooner because of this, again, assuming the Vita still exists two years from now.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By cosi83

Is the Japanese ps+ free game library different?

Alexandru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Alexandru

It hurts their game sales, but they really need to put that damn handheld into more people's hands.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BlackLagoon

@cosi83: Yes, I believe Sumioni: Demon Arts is the main attraction for the Vita. Plus in Japan hasn't really been particularly impressive compared to the US and EU ones, and though apparently they're hoping to improve.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DedBeet

@JZ said:

Yeah, that's a great way to show your appreciation for their service. If we all take the same attitude, we can pretty much guarantee that PS+ will have a much shorter life span.

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DedBeet

@BlackLagoon said:

@killacam: The 3DS version of Virtue's Last Reward has inferior graphics, poorer sound quality, and a game breaking savegame corruption bug. It's also not available digitally, and is region locked so you can't import the North American version with Aksys' excellent dub if you live elsewhere. If you're picking up a hand held for that game, the Vita is the obvious choice.

As for "cripplingly under-supported"... If you say so. Between finishing up Virtue, and having Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation and When Vikings Attack in my backlog, never mind that Plus will be giving me Gravity Rush, Mutant Blob's Attack and Chronovolt next week, I'm having a hard time finding the time to get through all of them...

Yeah, seriously. The Vita has a fairly solid library now and getting more solid all the time. Currently spending more time on my Vita than any other system in the house.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By GooieGreen

@DedBeet said:

@JZ said:

Yeah, that's a great way to show your appreciation for their service. If we all take the same attitude, we can pretty much guarantee that PS+ will have a much shorter life span.

PS+ seems like Sony's attempt to get in on the rental market; "why should the developers eat shit when we aren't profiting from it?"

Okay, that is admittedly very cynical, but the consumer mentality is still the same. Why should people buy these games when they could get them for free if they just wait? I was going to buy Uncharted and Gravity Rush, but I might just save my money and get Plus for a year. I don't like not owning anything after paying money for it, but I'll certainly platinum both of these games and potentially never want to play them again within the lifetime of the subscription.

I guess part of the thing is that Sony is trying to get the install base to grow and I can only assume that sales on these games have hit either a high enough point where it is worth it or sales have slowed to where nobody is buying them anyway. I'd love to know what kind of deals are being cut to compensate developers for potentially lost games sales. Either way, if this motivates people to get a Vita, then it is a win. People will own the hardware and be more likely to buy, but if everyone just waits until games are free on plus, then how are developers able to stay alive?

PSP had a great install base, but whenever I see one people have dumped Pokemon onto it. It might help Sony's bottom line, but as long as everyone else waits for Plus to get a fresh crop of games, studios will be SOL on launch week and might get the eventual hold outs to buy when it is beyond the point of recovery. How many gamers even understand the reality of not buying a game new (or buying a game period) and even care about that impact?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hunkulese

@killacam said:

@BlackLagoon said:

@msavo said:

@Duffyside said:

@JZ said:

no one (in their right mind) is going to buy a cripplingly under-supported system over one that has a super solid library just to be able to play the same game on an OLED screen. if i'm wrong, our planet is doomed.

The Vita is in a similar position to the 3DS when it was first released. It's kind of funny how the first exciting release for both was portable remake of an rpg from a previous generation. The 3DS has been out longer so of course it has more games but I wouldn't really call it a super solid library. I have a 3DS and am glad I do but mostly because it lets me play a lot of DS games I missed. Super Mario 3D land is pretty great as is Pushmo but there aren't really any other must play super awesome games.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By saddlebrown

Having PS+ makes me constantly on the verge of impulse-buying a Vita even though it makes sense to just wait until Christmas.

Seriously, I am blown away by the first selection of games. If they add Lumines to that list, I'll never need to buy a Vita game, just a ridiculously overpriced memory card to house all the free stuff on, which sounds like a fantastic deal to me.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By colourful_hippie

Let's hope there will actually be more games worth playing in the future.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By captain_clayman

But you'd think it'd entice some people to buy vitas, which is the real concern of sony's.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.