Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

House Of Cards Product Placement

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Tylea002

Unfortunately, there's no video clip avaliable, and hell, the website that I'm linking to isn't exactly a "reputable source," but I saw it myself with my own slightly disbelieving eyes. I was watching that new Netflix Show, House of Cards, which contains one of my top three most hilarious product placement moments ever. It's not quite Hawaii 5-0 levels of amazing, but it's pretty good. It's worth sharing because it puts a highlight on what dire straights the Vita is in.

Here's the story.

And here's the details:

No Caption Provided

Not Kevin Spacey: “Have a seat.”

Kevin Spacey: ”Is that a PS Vita? Which games does it have?”

Not Kevin Spacey:“All of them.”
    Kevin Spacey: ”I have a console at home I play sometimes to relax. I oughta get one of these for the car.”

The console he has at home is a Sony Playstation 3(tm), where he plays Killzone 3 multiplayer to relax. It took me right out of the show, and all I could think of was how ridiculous Kevin Spacey's Shakespearean Iago supervillainesque congressman motherfucker being all "ooh, is this a PS Vita?! And then proceeded to imagine him sitting in his car, where he so far he's been brooding his evil machinations, playing soundshapes.

On second thoughts, that'd make the show way better.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mellotronrules

yeah i saw that. the show is loaded to the gills with RIM, apple, and sony products. probably can chalk it up to having no commercial slots to sell, so gotta get that $ somehow.

but yeah, a little cringeworthy. almost worse (for me anyway) is the manner in which spacey plays his ps3- it's all manic button-mashing and PEWPEWPEW- unless you're caught in a perpetual quicktime sequence, i don't understand why people seem to think authentic gamers all suffer from finger convulsions.

on a side note- i was pretty impressed with netflix's original programming effort. high production values and of a pretty decent quality.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Mushir

Oh Kevin Spacey, what are you doing? You used to be good in the 90s!

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Eh, I thought the video game stuff was pretty amusing myself.

@Mushir:

I've only seen the first four episodes, but so far the show is pretty great.

ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ztiworoh

@Mushir: To be fair, I watched the entirety of the show this past weekend and it's fantastic. Maybe the best work Spacey has done in years. David Fincher directed the first two episodes and oversaw the rest and it shows - it feels like a 13 hour version of one of his films mixed with a very cynical version of The West Wing.

And the Vita thing, while sort of odd, isn't completely out of place - there's a sort of character-building moment early on where we learn that this super serious, conniving politician sneaks down to his basement every night to play video games til 3am to relieve stress. It didn't bother me that much and the Sony placement totals about one full minute in about 13 hours of TV.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Tylea002

@Dallas_Raines: So did I, but in a way that took me out of it.

Though, to be fair, this show is so absolutely dumb that I guess it fits. Everyone talks in the most thinly veiled threats whilst standing in shadows, everyone's angry at everyone or having sex with them, and all the dialogue is so unrealistically serious all the time, but it commits to this super super super super dumb style so hard that it comes out the other side and it's actually pretty good.

But man, is it dumb.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monetarydread

@ztiworoh said:

@Mushir: To be fair, I watched the entirety of the show this past weekend and it's fantastic. Maybe the best work Spacey has done in years. David Fincher directed the first two episodes and oversaw the rest and it shows - it feels like a 13 hour version of one of his films mixed with a very cynical version of The West Wing.

And the Vita thing, while sort of odd, isn't completely out of place - there's a sort of character-building moment early on where we learn that this super serious, conniving politician sneaks down to his basement every night to play video games til 3am to relieve stress. It didn't bother me that much and the Sony placement totals about one full minute in about 13 hours of TV.

You are right on that point. The marketing department of the show added the whole "PS Vita," name callout, but the show makes numerous references to the protagonist being an avid gamer. Plus, in the scene being talked about, Kevin Spaceys character is visiting someone he barely knows and is using the "Vita" as a talking-point to try and create a bond between him and the person he is meeting.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JaredA

I just started watching this show last night and it has had product placement all over the place(not that that is a bad thing). So far it has been pretty tasteful and this PS Vita thing stands out the most, but I don't feel like it was cringe worthy. It kinda fits with the character. I have only seen 4 episode so far so I can't say if it won't get worse, but as of right now it's fine.

Also, this show is fantastic. Way to go Netflix!

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wampa1

@Tylea002: I don't see Frank as much of a Soundshapes guy, maybe a little Frobisher Says?

Why do actors suck at pretending to play games? Spacey is one of the best yet he can't spend five minutes to see how someone who plays games moves their fingers? It's such a weird disconnect.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tylea002

@Wampa1: DUH. You're right, Frobisher says.

It's perfect.

And the reason is usually because the actor (or director) doesn't actually play games in real life. He didn't do as bad as some have, but he really wasn't great.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11  Edited By spiceninja

Eh, whatever. The show is incredible so it can be forgiven. They've got to make money from not having commercials somehow.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By meaninoflife42

The product placement on this show is ridiculous. The most recent one I saw was for Honey Bunches of Oats.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By face15

I laughed.

Wampa1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wampa1

@Tylea002: Oh I know, It's just weird since he spent weeks with physically handicapped people for Usual Suspects but he can't say to a kid "how should I hold this thing". I know it's not a big deal I just always see it.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GooieGreen

I was just talking about this show with my friend. He did not mention that this happened... if he was really my friend he would have used this to convince me to watch this.

I hate my friend.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@meaninoflife42 said:

The product placement on this show is ridiculous. The most recent one I saw was for Honey Bunches of Oats.

Having real life products doesn't mean its product placement.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThePaleKing

Didn't strike me as egregious product placement. They established in the first episode that he enjoys playing video games, and in one of the episodes his wife comments on it being a sort of secret hobby. Also the controller use was not ridiculous he was holding it normally, tap tapping the right trigger (as opposed to constantly mashing both), and wasn't pushing every button. As for all the supposed Mac product placement: guess what, a shit load of people use Macs.

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DaMisterChief

is that a "PS VITA" i see there. If you do not think that product placement???? What ever they need all the interest they can get in the damn thing

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

It's a pretty expensive production with limited avenues for producing revenue, so it's really not surprising that a little product placement would be thrown in to help pay for everything.

In my opinion, it wasn't a distraction at all, and none of it was shoved in your face the same way that shows like 24 have done in the past. It's a pretty decent political thriller if you're into that genre, and I would love to see Netflix produce more original content on the same level. If the occasional shot of a Coca-Cola can or Blackberry makes that more financially viable, I have no issue with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see what's so terrible about it. The show is great, the Vita product placement isn't in your face, and they even justified it in a previous episode by establishing that the dude likes video games.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By meaninoflife42

@Manhattan_Project said:

@meaninoflife42 said:

Having real life products doesn't mean its product placement.

So having a shot of two characters in a kitchen talking while a box of real cereal placed in such a way so as to show off the front of the box to the camera isn't considered product placement?

Special_K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Special_K

They quoted the line incorrectly, he asks which games does he (the boy) have, not which games does it have. That changes the vibe of the exchange a little. It's still obvious product placement, but it wasn't a time out from the story to brag about the amazing Vita software library.

I'm really digging this show. It has a very deliberate style. The dialogue is theatrical and the 4th wall breaking asides to the camera are unusual for a drama. I could see how it might rub some people the wrong way, but it's cool to see something of this caliber coming through non-traditional channels.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RE_Player1

I didn't find it offensive or distracting at all. I actually kind of chuckled.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I just saw this, laughed my ass off, and googled "house of cards PS vita".

So glad that there's a thread about this on GB and that it was one of the first things to come up!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

I think Hemlock Grove was worse. I swear every single fucking person on that show had an iPhone and they ALWAYS showed it off.

But can someone explain the Hawaii 5-0 stuff? What did they advertise?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

In the right show, I hope to see WAY more of this kind of shit...

Loading Video...

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno, Kevin Spacey's character seems like the kind of hyper-competitive dude who'd come home from a hard day at the capital to unwind with the latest FPS meat grinder. I think it fits with his character. Also it's nice to have touches of reality in there.

Also, people who dislike the product placement, be honest here: Which would have pissed you off more? Having a real game in the show and real game footage to show as a result or no product placement and having terrible awful fake game footage?

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the clip for anyone who wants to see it for themselves. I like how that one scene is the entirety of the recap.

Loading Video...

RichardQuarisa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tylea002 said:

@Wampa1: DUH. You're right, Frobisher says.

It's perfect.

And the reason is usually because the actor (or director) doesn't actually play games in real life. He didn't do as bad as some have, but he really wasn't great.

I think the reason they had him mash buttons like that is because it's a lot more visually stimulating (to people who don't play games at least) than it's realistic alternative. If they actually showed what it's like to play games it would have resulted in a much less interesting (to people who don't play games) shot of a guy sitting there not not moving his fingers at all except to occasionally squeeze on of the triggers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.