Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

I am now a Vita owner

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

I finally broke down and bought a Vita. I didn't wanna miss out on the OLED goodness and I got a deal that was hard to resist. Anyhow I was just looking for some suggestions from you duders.

Is a screen protector recommended? I hate the things, but I can be pretty paranoid about damaging the screen. If there are any other accessories you could recommend that'd be super good too.

Is it clear if the 64GB memory card will drop in NA in the near future? I've yet to buy a card, but I'm willing to hold off for some time, or at the very least buy a smaller card if we're likely to see prices drop alongside the 64GB release.

Lastly GAMES; what do you recommend? I already know about PS Plus and all that (and yeah P4G), but lemme know if there's any Vita games you recommend or PSP games that I missed out on (currently interested in Tactics Ogre and FF tactics).

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You dont have a memory card? I may be wrong, there is no internal memory so you should at least get the smallest while you wait for the 64gb.

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was thinking of getting an oled vita before the new ones roll out. Has there been any confirmation of those colors coming stateside?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@funkasaurasrex: Since I think price drops may be around the corner(or at least some great holiday season deals), you may just get a small card now and invest in a bigger one on sale later.

And I would recommend a screen protector. That pretty screen can make it very obvious if any scratches get on it, and you may be touching it a decent bit. So, a screen protector is a good idea.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@supersambo: Yeah I'm aware that I need a card. I was just considering holding off until I can get a better deal, especially if we'll be seeing price drops in the near future, even if that meant not being able to use my Vita for a bit.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You are already interested in the two psp games I was going to recommend.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I finally broke down and bought a Vita. I didn't wanna miss out on the OLED goodness and I got a deal that was hard to resist. Anyhow I was just looking for some suggestions from you duders.

Is a screen protector recommended? I hate the things, but I can be pretty paranoid about damaging the screen. If there are any other accessories you could recommend that'd be super good too.

Is it clear if the 64GB memory card will drop in NA in the near future? I've yet to buy a card, but I'm willing to hold off for some time, or at the very least buy a smaller card if we're likely to see prices drop alongside the 64GB release.

Lastly GAMES; what do you recommend? I already know about PS Plus and all that (and yeah P4G), but lemme know if there's any Vita games you recommend or PSP games that I missed out on (currently interested in Tactics Ogre and FF tactics).

Forget the Final Fantasy exterior (though I did like it), Dissida is an excellent fighting game that I can't recommend enough.

The MGS HD Collection, even without Peace Walker is brilliant... you can play them in order on the Vita - MGS3 (HD), Portable Ops (PSN, but you could skip this one), Peace Walker (PSN), MGS1 (PSN), MGS2 (HD)... that's how I did it and it was brilliant.

Killzone Mercenary is great despite what Jeff has been saying. Honestly I went into it skeptical but I love it... the single-player campaign is a bit generic, but has it's moments. But the multiplayer is a lot of fun, and it controls perfectly. There's rewards for doing missions in certain ways too, like stealth or using different perks ... and those cash rewards carry over to the multiplayer game. The effort gone into Mercenary is impressive... it's worth a look. It's right up there with Brothers for GOTY ;)

Dead or Alive 5+ is cool. It's hard to recommend it over the console version, but I've enjoyed have a portable fighting game on the go.

Lumines Electric Symphony -- need I say more? A great version of a great game.

Hotline Miami is amazing, Gravity Rush is the best showcase Vita game I can think of (it is fun too, but only but it if it's under $20).

There's so many PSP and PS1 games to get ... I played through Command & Conquer Red Alert on my PSP (PS1 version) and had a blast.

If you dig through the catalog you'll find stuff... I bought the Vita for work purposes (long story) and didn't plan on ever getting one. Now I love that little bastard ... that and my 3DS get so much use these days. You've made a good choice haha

(A few things I learnt -- hold the PlayStation button for 5 secs to get to the quick menu for WiFi, brightness, etc., also do that in PSP/PS1 games to assign touch controls (so for MGS1 I made it so I could tap the item area to equip and unequip)... and I've had a 32GB card for about a year and have had no trouble... if the 64GB is too expensive don't get it IMHO)

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just bought a Vita a week ago myself, saw a 8gb 3g launch bundle for 200 and grabbed it....and i dont regret it. I only hate the start and select placement...its so hard to hit quickly

As for a screen protector just get Vita starter kit (can be found for 20). Iit comes with a case like the original psp's (not as good, that psp case was amazing), a 4gig card, head phones (probably crap but i haven't tried mine) and the best screen protector i have ever applied. The screen protector has a guide that fits the right side of the screen so it is effortless to get it perfectly centered.

Games:

• Patapon 1 or 2 (psp): Its only 6 bucks on psn and its totally addictive rhythm game
    • Super Stardust Delta: Its Super Stardust Hd, but portable and new content
    • Guacameele!:
    • Spelunky

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Salesmunn

Yes, the 64GB card will come to the US eventually or you can just import it from Japan.

• Hotline Miami is awesome on Vita, free on PS+ in October so don't buy it yet.
    • Killzone Mercenary is a great game, the multiplayer is tons of fun and it controls beautifully
    • Dragon's Crown is great on Vita, if you don't have it already on PS3.
    • Spelunky is sick on Vita as well, bite size, pick-up-and-play gameplay

That's just a few.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I have 15 games on my 16GB card and still have over 5GB of space free. The mentality that you need the most storage available is bullshit.

As for game recommendations:

• Rayman Origins (which happens to be on PS+ this month anyway)
    • Limbo (which is free if you have the PS3 version)
    • Spelunky (also free with PS3 version)
    • Where is my Heart? (My personal GotY for 2011)
    • Lumines Electronic Symphony (it's not the best Lumines but it's not the worst)
    • LocoRoco 2 (absolutely underrated)
    • Persona 2 Innocent Sin (the most mind blowing of the 5 Persona games I've played)
    • Persona 4 Golden (obviously)
    FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@truthtellah said:

And I would recommend a screen protector. That pretty screen can make it very obvious if any scratches get on it, and you may be touching it a decent bit. So, a screen protector is a good idea.

Alright, hopefully I don't fuck up and get dust under there as per usual. Any recommendations between Sony's screen protector and Hori's? I'd imagine Hori's is a little more effective, but I'd probably be much more likely to screw up the application of that one.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah said:

Alright, hopefully I don't fuck up and get dust under there as per usual. Any recommendations between Sony's screen protector and Hori's? I'd imagine Hori's is a little more effective, but I'd probably be much more likely to screw up the application of that one.

I prefer just over the screen; so, I'd say go with Sony's. But there are some Vita folks who swear by the Hori. So, look into it some more. There are plenty of places that have discussed the "Sony vs Hori screen protector" topic. I say that no protector is a bad idea, a Sony one is the least you should do, and the glossy Hori may be the best. Just look around for impressions.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Congrats, I got mine a month ago and I love it.

Muramasa was pretty great, I think. The combat took a few hours to click with me (was kinda forced to get in deep since I started on hard). But once I did, I absolutely loved the way it played. Not to mention the gorgeous audio/visual kick.

Salesmunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

by the way, I would not get the screen protector. I've have a launch Vita and use it daily since then. Not a scratch on it. Unless you're rough with it, I prefer the system without a protector.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Just ordered a used one yesterday from CowBoom (Best Buy's second hand store basically) for 119+tax. Was gonna wait it out to see if Sony did a PS4/Vita bundle for 499, but I doubt they were gonna have a launch bundle for that much.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Seppli

@truthtellah said:

I had a dot of dried glue under my Sony Protector. Luckily it was on the lower edge of the screen, so it doesn't matter. Other than that, the Sony Starter Kit is pretty solid.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

Since it's October, I recommend Corpse Party as a great PSP game if you've missed it - it was one of my favorites on PSP, and I want to replay it. If you like jrpgs like I do (seems you do!) then there are a ton of great ones for PSP that you can download from PSN. I recommend Trails in the Sky if you haven't played it. If you like S-rpgs then Disgaea is great, and I hear good things about Growlanser: Wayfarer of time. If you have a PS3 you can play almost anything from the PSP store... you just have to download to the PS3 first and transfer.

I don't have a Vita yet, so I'm giving the info as a PSP owner (and the transfer info comes from my cousin, who has one.) I'm planning to buy one soon, so I'm reading all these topics!

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mrfluke
    automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By automatontribe

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core is really great. The only game set in the FFVII universe apart from FFVII itself that's worth experiencing in my opinion.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core is really great. The only game set in the FFVII universe apart from FFVII itself that's worth experiencing in my opinion.

That isn't a game that is on PSN or Vita, sadly.

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@butano said:

@mrfluke said:

you can grab a 32gb card for 45 bucks at best buy http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/103518/best-buy---32gb-sony-playstation-vita-memory-card

i think even with black friday, thats probably as low as its gonna get for memory cards.

Managed to pick one up at the store closest to me (even though online said it was unavailable). Can't wait til it gets here to get my P4G action on!

that deal i linked to is tempting me, but i gotta see how remote play works on ps4 before i buy a vita.so ima just hold out till black friday.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I love my new Vita. Though I really want to find and murder the fella who decided to put the headphone jack on the bottom. So hard to lie in bed and watch youtube!

maxB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Guacamelee

CynicalBuzzard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congrats on getting a Vita, I wish I had the extra money to get one.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hotline Miami is great on the Vita. The only other recommendation I can make from the limited games I've played on it is The Walking Dead. If you haven't played it yet, it looks amazing on the Vita and runs pretty well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.