Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

I hate you

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

Edited By Enigma777

Who the fuck designed this thing? And why is he still employed?! Because if I did such a half-baked job on any of my projects I would be shitcanned before I had the chance to blink.

*Deep breath*

So I turn on this little abomination on again because I have an LBP Vita beta code, so I figured why not check it out. Might as well use the damn thing for something other than an ornamental piece for the top of my dresser.

But why make it easy? No. It's like it's doing it on purpose. Like the only reason for it's existence is to aggravate me. Because I guess I wasn't regretting my purchase enough, so how about we cement it into a rock-hard conviction, guys!

Anyways, I boot up the PSN store (8 seconds) and wait while everything fucking loads (5 seconds) and before I redeem the damn code, I see an E3 logo. The fool that I am, I tap on it and I'm greeted by a bunch of E3 vids. One catches my eye, shamelessly named "E3 Vita Sizzle Trailer" so I download the damn thing (4.5 minutes).

Ok, so it's finally done and I'm trying to figure out where to go to watch it. I tap the name on the Download list and I'm actually shocked that it boots up the video app. I mean shocked! The Vita don't look too kindly on usability. Oh no sir. Why make things simple and intuitive when we can make the user suffer and plod through shitty menu screen after shitty menu screen. Like I said, I'm fucking shocked here! But that warm feeling in my gut swiftly disappears while I'm forced to wait 14 fucking seconds while the video app loads and connects. WHAT THE FUCK IS IT EVEN CONNECTING TO?!

But I'm in. It's over. I'm watching the trailer. All 4 minutes of it. And do you know how many original Vita games showed up during that time? THREE! Motherfucking three! Gravity Rush, Resistance (lol) and AC Liberation. Everything else? PORTS PORTS PORTS! Ports out the ass! You like ports? Cause we've got ports! MGS ports. Street Fighter ports. Jet Set Radio ports. Sly Cooper ports. All-Stars ports. PS Vita: the industry leader in ports!

At this point I'm ready to set this thing on fire. But then a notification pops up saying that the LBP beta has finished downloading. But. Yes there is always a but. But in order to install it (?!?) I need to delete something else from my system because I don't have enough space. So I look through my card and I settle on SSHD. And I delete it.

Here comes the best part.

Apparently Vita saves are bundled within the actual game files. Because why not! So when you delete a game, you are also deleting that save file. But the Vita, in all it's kindness and splendor, decides not to share that information with you at that time. Because fuck you! So I just ended up deleting my save file. 18 hours lost. For no reason. Poof.

It feels like every single time I turn it on, I find something new to hate about it.

Don't make the same mistake. Don't buy a Vita.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Enigma777

Who the fuck designed this thing? And why is he still employed?! Because if I did such a half-baked job on any of my projects I would be shitcanned before I had the chance to blink.

*Deep breath*

So I turn on this little abomination on again because I have an LBP Vita beta code, so I figured why not check it out. Might as well use the damn thing for something other than an ornamental piece for the top of my dresser.

But why make it easy? No. It's like it's doing it on purpose. Like the only reason for it's existence is to aggravate me. Because I guess I wasn't regretting my purchase enough, so how about we cement it into a rock-hard conviction, guys!

Anyways, I boot up the PSN store (8 seconds) and wait while everything fucking loads (5 seconds) and before I redeem the damn code, I see an E3 logo. The fool that I am, I tap on it and I'm greeted by a bunch of E3 vids. One catches my eye, shamelessly named "E3 Vita Sizzle Trailer" so I download the damn thing (4.5 minutes).

Ok, so it's finally done and I'm trying to figure out where to go to watch it. I tap the name on the Download list and I'm actually shocked that it boots up the video app. I mean shocked! The Vita don't look too kindly on usability. Oh no sir. Why make things simple and intuitive when we can make the user suffer and plod through shitty menu screen after shitty menu screen. Like I said, I'm fucking shocked here! But that warm feeling in my gut swiftly disappears while I'm forced to wait 14 fucking seconds while the video app loads and connects. WHAT THE FUCK IS IT EVEN CONNECTING TO?!

But I'm in. It's over. I'm watching the trailer. All 4 minutes of it. And do you know how many original Vita games showed up during that time? THREE! Motherfucking three! Gravity Rush, Resistance (lol) and AC Liberation. Everything else? PORTS PORTS PORTS! Ports out the ass! You like ports? Cause we've got ports! MGS ports. Street Fighter ports. Jet Set Radio ports. Sly Cooper ports. All-Stars ports. PS Vita: the industry leader in ports!

At this point I'm ready to set this thing on fire. But then a notification pops up saying that the LBP beta has finished downloading. But. Yes there is always a but. But in order to install it (?!?) I need to delete something else from my system because I don't have enough space. So I look through my card and I settle on SSHD. And I delete it.

Here comes the best part.

Apparently Vita saves are bundled within the actual game files. Because why not! So when you delete a game, you are also deleting that save file. But the Vita, in all it's kindness and splendor, decides not to share that information with you at that time. Because fuck you! So I just ended up deleting my save file. 18 hours lost. For no reason. Poof.

It feels like every single time I turn it on, I find something new to hate about it.

Don't make the same mistake. Don't buy a Vita.

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By flushpockets

That's why you are able to back up your vita to your ps3 or pc. The vita does have its faults, but don't blame the system for user error.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By Justin258

I was pretty harsh on the 3DS before the Vita came out and was supporting the Vita a lot, but I did proudly proclaim that I would buy neither until one of their libraries had shown me a good number or interesting things.

Consider me firmly on the other side of the fence. If I buy one of the two, chances are that it will be the 3DS.

In the meantime, I suggest putting it down and waiting. The PSP had some pretty rough starting years as well but some things well worth owning one for came out. And, if at any time you just think that throwing it out the window is the best thing for you and it, PM me instead. You can ship it to me, I'll pay for shipping myself.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Enigma777

@flushpockets: Because being forced to back-up 30 gigs of data for 8 save files is clearly the answer. Clearly.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Coafi

Someone is mad. I probably will buy a Vita, since this week almost every retailer is throwing a $50 gift card with it, and I'll see if I will hate it as much as you do.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Wemibelle

@Enigma777 said:

@flushpockets: Because being forced to back-up 30 gigs of data for 8 save files is clearly the answer. Clearly.

I have to agree here. He did make the mistake but it's very poorly designed as well. Gadgets should be simple to use.

Appuh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Appuh

Sshd?

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By flushpockets

@Enigma777: Like i said, not perfect. But you can pick and choose what you back up. I could be wrong, but SSHD is not 30 gigs.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joeyoe31

I made the mistake of buying a 3DS at launch and ended up having nothing but games I had already played before to play again. Lately it's been better since now there are a lot more titles to pick from and aren't on any other platform. That being said I decided to not do the same thing with the Vita and well nothing has really popped up yet. At least that I would like. Plus I would just play Persona 3 Portable a million times again like I did before.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enigma777

@flushpockets: No it's not. And I'm not saying that it wasn't my fault, but considering that both the PSP and PS3 have dedicated save folders, I assumed the Vita had one as well. My issue isn't with the save being gone but with the incredible stupidity behind the design.

That OS just feels like 1 step forward and 8 steps back.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Seems like every slow set back you encountered was your fault though. Where the post started lead me to believe that you were complaining about a root issue of not being able to get the beta activated in a timely matter, or that it just didn't work, what I instead read was you complaining about waiting for things you did that weren't related to getting the beta activated. Also, I don't have any issues with slow app bootups or store loading, and I am on a wifi only vita. AND ALSO, I don't think these problems are exclusive to the vita, I think the 3DS is in the exact same position, bad UI, bad battery, bad game lineup. So putting the blame on vita is true, but I think the problem lies in portable gaming that isn't iOS or Android. Nintendo and Sony simply don't care about handhelds right now.

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By flushpockets

@Enigma777: i agree with you on the OS being frustrating. However, it is a Sony product, so what do you expect?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@flushpockets said:

@Enigma777: i agree with you on the OS being frustrating. However, it is a Sony product, so what do you expect?

Pretty much this, but I think you're giving Sony a bit of a pass, or course all their software is holy jeezus ugly, but Vita is a clean slate, (or at least it was before it was known Sony doesn't care to put original games or PS1 support on the thing.) Yes it's sony software, but seriously, android, ios and windows phone are showing how navigation is done.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Enigma777

@BestUsernameEver: That is not the point of my rant at all, actually. Sure, I have problems with the general slowness of the OS and it's constant need to load, connect, install and wait, but my point centered around it's general awfulness, not installing the beta in a timely fashion.

@flushpockets: I bough a PS3 and a PSP on launch and neither was this bad. I expect better. Even from Sony.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By egg

funny thing is if memory cards weren't overpriced the OP probably would have had more space and wouldn't need to delete SSHD

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DoctorDanger99

i love my vita. best handheld ever.

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By flushpockets

@BestUsernameEver: But it isn't really a clean slate. The system has to work off of the current psn network. I think thats why trophies, for instance, are an "app" on the vita. Look at how much the PS3 OS has changed since launch. It hasn't (much). Im not saying to give them a free pass. Im saying there are certain, shall we say, realities that one has to accept when choosing to buy a Sony product.

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By flushpockets

@Enigma777: Opinions are like belly buttons, everyones got one and they are all useless. At any rate I'm sorry your time with the vita hasn't been as enjoyable as it should be. I do hope they make changes for the better, for all of us. the system has great potential. Only time will tell. As a side note, i am guessing some of the changes were to keep the vita as locked down as possible to prevent piracy. So direct some rage towards those assholes too..........

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Hizang

This how I predicted the Vita going, I'm not surprised. Sony never quite got the handheld quite right, they have always tried to give us console experiences on a handheld, when rather we would much rather have this console experience on a console not a handheld. The DS avoided this by providing unique experiences, but recently with there improved graphical hardware the 3DS has seen some console games on it that I would have much preferred on a console.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By GaspoweR

@BestUsernameEver: Its not like they don't care but it's more like they are doing a bad job at it.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By Rekt_Hed

Holy shit balls.....so glad I didn't buy a vita now. I was really tempted by wipeout but I did the cheap thing of just adding more custom soundtracks so it feels like a new wipeout XD

Sorry to hear youre having such a sucky time with it duder.

Rekt_Hed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rekt_Hed
    @Rekt_Hed
    Holy shit balls.....so glad I didn't buy a vita now. I was really tempted by wipeout but I did the cheap thing of just adding more custom soundtracks so it feels like a new wipeout XD

Sorry to hear youre having such a sucky time with it duder.
    Adding more sounds to wipeout hd on the ps3
    Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Shakezula84

I don't mean to be the jerk here who mentions the one thing he decides to latch onto in your rant, but it does warn you that all files associated with a game will be deleted. I went to delete Katamari and when that popped up I kept it. Because of this, I have a whole page of icons for games I've rented because I don't want to delete the saves.

But I love my Vita, but I totally see why you are upset and that buying a Vita was probably a bad decision for you. Me? I've stated on this very forum that I want a port on my Vita. For example, I am on my wifes computer right now posting here. She is using the PS3 to watch Netflix right now, so I cannot play Saints Row right now.

Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chontamenti

@Shakezula84 said:

Because of this, I have a whole page of icons for games I've rented because I don't want to delete the saves.

Why? In case you buy the games you once rented in the future? *_*

Sounds like wasted memory to me, dude.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jonnyboy

Sony have always seemed to only employ the most brain damaged of individual to design their operating systems. I have laughed at every Sony Console UI they've ever made, but with each Xbox dashboard update, those laughs become hard to justify, now THAT THING is a fucking mess.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MideonNViscera

I dunno why you'd go Sony over Nintendo on a handheld. Mind boggling.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Morrow

@Enigma777 said:

I'm watching the trailer. All 4 minutes of it. And do you know how many original Vita games showed up during that time? THREE! Motherfucking three! Gravity Rush, Resistance (lol) and AC Liberation. Everything else? PORTS PORTS PORTS! Ports out the ass! You like ports? Cause we've got ports! MGS ports. Street Fighter ports. Jet Set Radio ports. Sly Cooper ports. All-Stars ports. PS Vita: the industry leader in ports!

lol, that actually sounded pretty funny :D

I don't regret my Vita purchase, I'm still mainly gaming on my PS3 so I don't mind the lack of good games. Give them some time, I'm sure they'll come up with more original games over time :)

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Enigma777

@MideonNViscera: Because the 3DS hardware sucks in ever possible aspect? Because there's absolutely no games for it available right now that I want to play? Because I loved the PSP and thought the vita was going to be the natural evolution of it?

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MideonNViscera

@Enigma777 said:

@MideonNViscera: Because the 3DS hardware sucks in ever possible aspect? Because there's absolutely no games for it available right now that I want to play? Because I loved the PSP and thought the vita was going to be the natural evolution of it?

Did you just answer my statement with 3 questions?

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emergency

I seem late to this party. Anyway, sell your Vita, buy a DS and stop being butthurt. Vita is awesome, but if you don't like it then sell it - simple.

kichiku_rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kichiku_rose

@Enigma777: Your rant is almost spot on about how good the Vita is. the layout settings were shit "friends" and "messaging" on two diffent folder pages why not on the same one :S yeh can't believe the Vita turned out this bad and seemed like it took every bad idea and thought this could work

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By falserelic
    No Caption Provided
    DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#33  Edited By DrRandle

What are you talking about the 3ds having a bad UI and bad lineup? The UI is amazing, it's the best console or handheld UI out there. And I've got 13 games for it, not counting all the awesome downloadables like Mutant Mudds and Colors 3D (I like to draw). If you think the 3ds has a bad line up, I don't think you're paying attention. And there's a lot of stuff coming down the pipeline.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic

This rant made me laugh. But I'm also sorry for your Vita misery!

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By musubi

I will take the bipartisan stance on this issue and say all handhelds suck.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#36  Edited By Phatmac

It surprises me that people of this community can just sit there and be dicks about such an issue. I'm truly sorry about your issue with the Vita. This is another reason to stay away from Sony's handheld.

HarkinNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HarkinNecro

waiting for persona 4 to be released on it this fall

liako21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By liako21

@DrRandle said:

What are you talking about the 3ds having a bad UI and bad lineup? The UI is amazing, it's the best console or handheld UI out there. And I've got 13 games for it, not counting all the awesome downloadables like Mutant Mudds and Colors 3D (I like to draw). If you think the 3ds has a bad line up, I don't think you're paying attention. And there's a lot of stuff coming down the pipeline.

agreed.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#39  Edited By huntad

Wow, seems like a nightmare. Good thing I waited. Thanks for sharing!

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FunExplosions

@Enigma777 said:

Not just that, but it's not a "user error" if the user has no idea that they should be doing that in the first place. And you don't make the customer do more work in place of your bad design. Apologists that call shit like this "user errors" are the worst kind of consumer.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BlackLagoon

@jonnyboy said:

Sony have always seemed to only employ the most brain damaged of individual to design their operating systems. I have laughed at every Sony Console UI they've ever made, but with each Xbox dashboard update, those laughs become hard to justify, now THAT THING is a fucking mess.

Eh, the XMB is simple and elegant, and won the Technology & Engineering Emmy Award for "Outstanding Innovation and Achievement in Advanced Media Technology for the Best Use of Personal Media Display and Presentation Technology" in 2006.

As for the Vita saves issue, it's quite possibly a security measure. Hacking saves was apparently one of the most common ways of defeating the PSP's security, so they might have decided to make them as hard as possible to get at. Hopefully they'll add PS Plus cloud saves to it which would help a lot.

Edit: Also I think my Vita is awesome, and I'm having a great time playing Uncharted outside in the lovely summer weather.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MikkaQ

@BlackLagoon: That's kinda the problem, the XMB is over 7 years old. It's time for them to move onto something a little better.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By Totori

Why are you mad again? I read like 5 paragraphs of just nonsensical babbling, before I thought I should just ask.  

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Enigma777

@MikkaQ said:

@BlackLagoon: That's kinda the problem, the XMB is over 7 years old. It's time for them to move onto something a little better.

Problem is that the Vita OS isn't better. It's a lot worse in many aspects.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikkaQ

@Enigma777 said:

@MikkaQ said:

Problem is that the Vita OS isn't better. It's a lot worse in many aspects.

That's also true. You can't win with Sony's UI.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BlackLagoon

@MikkaQ: The Vita does of course have it's own touch focused UI, I was just using the XMB as counterpoint to jonnyboy's seeming disdain for every Sony Console UI ever made, that that opinion was hardly universally shared. The PS4 will undobtedly have its own UI, and I don't really see the point in messing with the PS3 at this point. It seems when the Xbox has done that, it's been more to reflect corporate design (Metro) and marketing (Bing, Kinect, video streaming) priorities, rather than a provide a better experience for gamers and developers.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BlackLagoon

@MikkaQ said:

You can't win with Sony's UI.

Unless of course you are entering the Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards! :PPPPPPPPPP

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By Shakezula84

@Chontamenti said:

@Shakezula84 said:

Because of this, I have a whole page of icons for games I've rented because I don't want to delete the saves.

Why? In case you buy the games you once rented in the future? *_*

Sounds like wasted memory to me, dude.

So far I haven't played a game I just didn't like, and honestly with so few Vita games available, I've actually started renting games over again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.