Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

I just got a VIta, and I love this thing.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Unilad

Hey,

Edit: I just got a Vita, and I really like this thing (love takes a lifetime!)

Okay so I've been reading a lot and the vita has been getting a lot of bad rap. Now I understand that it may not have an amazing lineup of games, but I got one and I love it. Let me elaborate.

I currently live in Hong Kong. I live in a small apartment with a flatmate. We both do the same job, and we both place games. We both can't afford a TV of course don't have any consoles (other than handhelds) He currently owns a 3ds and Vita and his ability to play games really got to me.

So I went out and (even with all the bad write ups i read) I bought a vita. I got a pretty sweet deal...the vita, a game and a memory stick for £160 (when converted from HKD) and I love this thing. Its exactly what I wanted which was a close enough experience to my PS3 that I can have without a TV. I play it on the MTR to work, I play it in bed, I play it at work (I'm a teacher and it counts as extra curricular language exchange). I'm no gaming enthusiast, I have no console loyalties, I'm just a simple bloke without a TV who wanted to play PS3 games, and for that the Vita does a pretty good job.

)Now my flatmate loves his 3ds, but unlike many people I've read, he doesn't slate the vita (oh and he's not one to not speak his mind about shit). He agrees that if you want to have the closest experience of a PS3 in your pocket then a vita is what you want. The other people I work with don't play games but they can see the appeal of the vita and actually find it a little more open than say the 3DS because of the nature of the titles, (from a non gamer perspective Fifa looks like console Fifa, uncharted etc these are games they may have seen on consoles and see the similarities)

Anyways, I just wanted to post here and show my support for a console that is struggling a little. I think it's really cool, and I'm looking forward to playing some more games on it.

I'm planning on picking up some more games soon, and any recommendations would be awesome. If you want to add me to play some Fifa then feel free. My PSN is: Partyhatpenguin

Cheers, guys/gals.

([ps. I wrote this having just woken up so I got that blurry eye thing so if any typo's I apologise)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

I haven' t played the vita version myself but I hear Ninja Gaiden Sigma + is pretty rad. And being a Ninja Gaiden fan that would be my recommendation

CollegeGuyMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By CollegeGuyMike

Having just gotten a Vita after the New Year I have to say my favorite game so far is Persona 4 Golden, so if you haven't played P4 you should probably get that. I also thought Gravity Rush was fun while it lasted and is at least worth a play through if you have PS+ but I don't know that you should go out of your way for it or anything.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Rafaelfc

I subscribed to PS+ and just HAD to buy a vita, I have a few games to play on that already.... CRAP at least now I can play some persona 4

iceman228433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By iceman228433

The Vita is a very nice System I really do love it, and I just signed up for a Year of Playstation Plus so I downloaded a bunch of free games as well so that's nice. If you get a year of Plus they are throwing in 3 months free so now is a time to think it. Glad you enjoy it.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By NMC2008

I tried to love it, it's a beautiful machine but there wasn't one game that I liked on it, and the 32GB mem stick was too pricey, I sold it and bought a Wii U instead.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JZ

Yeah we all feel like that all the time

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @NMC2008

I tried to love it, it's a beautiful machine but there wasn't one game that I liked on it, and the 32GB mem stick was too pricey, I sold it and bought a Wii U instead.

I actually did the opposite. I wanted to love the wii u and I enjoyed Zombiu but after that I was done. Even after Nintendos big announcement I was not the least bit excited. I guess I'm just not a fan of Nintendos games, not saying they are bad but they just aren't for me.

Traded it in when GameStop had a pretty great deal going on. Got quite a bit of cash back and bought a vita with mk and persona 4. That with my psn+ gave me a solid set of games and man I love it.

Never played a jrpg before but persona is just outstanding. Uncharted looks pretty god damn amazing on a handheld and mortal kombat is everything I loved about the ps3 version. With those plus all my psn games (currently resident evil 1-3).

I'm hoping for sales to pick up and access to more games. It's a well built, sexy piece of hardware.
    NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By NMC2008

@Sackmanjones said:

@NMC2008

I actually did the opposite. I wanted to love the wii u and I enjoyed Zombiu but after that I was done. Even after Nintendos big announcement I was not the least bit excited. I guess I'm just not a fan of Nintendos games, not saying they are bad but they just aren't for me. Traded it in when GameStop had a pretty great deal going on. Got quite a bit of cash back and bought a vita with mk and persona 4. That with my psn+ gave me a solid set of games and man I love it. Never played a jrpg before but persona is just outstanding. Uncharted looks pretty god damn amazing on a handheld and mortal kombat is everything I loved about the ps3 version. With those plus all my psn games (currently resident evil 1-3). I'm hoping for sales to pick up and access to more games. It's a well built, sexy piece of hardware.

My original plan was to trade in the Vita for a 3DS XL but then I got to thinking, and decided to go ahead and get the Wii U out of the way, grabbed the Wii U and NSMBU, I beat NSMBU 2 days later and got a good chunk of the star coins and opened up all the secret areas, but I have no desire to play anymore, so now I have a Wii U sitting here, but i'm glad I have it because of that Wind Waker Remake that was shown this past week and of course Bayonetta 2, didn't dig the ZombiU demo though. I still may grab a 3DS XL soon.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Peanut

What the fuck is wrong with you people buying a console/handheld at launch or in the first year and then trading it in? Why? If you're that finicky about shit, why wouldn't you just wait? I read those kind of comments constantly on the Internet and it's just so incredibly baffling. "WUAGH! I got Z but I said fuck that and traded it for X!" Maybe it's just because I think trading shit in is like volunteering to be mugged, but I really really don't understand that logic in the least. Especially where consoles are concerned.

More on topic, I really like the Vita, but P4G is the only thing worth a damn on the thing.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By toowalrus

I don't think many people will deny that the Vita is a fucking quality piece of hardware. I love mine, but I just wish it had more games to back it up. I've said this before, but that Okami HD version would have been awesome on that screen.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By joshthebear

Obligatory buy Persona 4: Golden post.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jams

@Peanut said:

What the fuck is wrong with you people buying a console/handheld at launch or in the first year and then trading it in? Why? If you're that finicky about shit, why wouldn't you just wait? I read those kind of comments constantly on the Internet and it's just so incredibly baffling. "WUAGH! I got Z but I said fuck that and traded it for X!" Maybe it's just because I think trading shit in is like volunteering to be mugged, but I really really don't understand that logic in the least. Especially where consoles are concerned.

More on topic, I really like the Vita, but P4G is the only thing worth a damn on the thing.

People are really fucking dumb when it comes to money. Sometimes it goes overboard.

I can't believe people buy games new, play the 6 hours or whatever it takes to beat it then trade it in.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By awesomeusername

I love my Vita too. I would say to play Gravity Rush and Uncharted. They're solid titles and are worth your time. Maybe AC3: Liveration to. I wasn't digging it at first but that was probably because I had too much AC3 at that point but I'm enjoying it now. It's not great but it's pretty good. For smaller titles, I'd say get Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Frobisher Says! (which is free), Sound Shapes, and Treasures of Montezuma Blitz (free again).

spykereightsix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By spykereightsix

You obviously haven't joined the Wake-Up Club yet. Ha hA! Enjoy!

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By breadfan

I'm showing my ignorance here, as someone who isn't tuned into the Playstation market, but is the Vita a good way to check out the old Final Fantasy games? I've had this weird urge to go back and play them, as of late.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By spankingaddict

The vita games I really like so far ...

Mutant Blobs Attack

Gravity Rush

LBP Vita

Uncharted Golden Abyss

Frobisher Says

Sounds Shapes

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royal

I didn't play Persona 4 yet , but will . Also , you should get Sly4 on it too then ...

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uhtaree

I desperately want a Vita, mostly to play the back catalog of PSP games (yeah, yeah, the Vita lineup isn't great) and be able to play Vita shit when it (hopefully) comes out. That price however, they need to come down on that a bit.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By DarthOrange
    uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By uhtaree

@Breadfan said:

I'm showing my ignorance here, as someone who isn't tuned into the Playstation market, but is the Vita a good way to check out the old Final Fantasy games? I've had this weird urge to go back and play them, as of late.

Yeah pretty sure about that. The HD remake ones for PSP you can download off the PSN store and play on vita, my brother was playing persona 3 on it so I assume it would be the same. It's just a shame though, they had this blowout sale of the FF franchise last year on PSN, I shoulda bought those games even though I don't have any Sony hardware just for the time when I do.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NekuCTR

I really liked it at first too, but got rather bored of it over time. Still a great machine, and I love playing P4G on it. Soul Sacrifice will probably rekindle my love for it.

xMEGADETHxSLY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xMEGADETHxSLY

I would buy one, but then i look at the library and only see Persona 4 The golden as the only game I actually want to play.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By evanbower

Yeah, I guess the issue most people have that the OP doesn't is they probably have access to a PS3, so the Vita isn't their only option. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger yet, while I did get a Wii U. It's hard to justify spending much to play portable versions of experiences I've already had elsewhere. That said, I do plan on getting one eventually..

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GooieGreen

Another vote for PlayStation Plus. About A Blob is a great (but short) platformer that you should have on there. The trophies are challenging enough to keep you going a little while longer.

If you want to invest a little and get a whole lot of content out, then Persona 4 and Disgaea 3 are two of your best bets. They might be lower in terms of active action aren't the newest games out there, but combined they have easily hundreds of hours of things to see. Sound Shapes is a must.

The list that DarthOrange curates is a great source to find out about what Vita games most of us agree on. It probably needs a few more titles added to it, but it is also a great place to start.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really, really, really want one. But I'm not sure there's anything for the platform I'm even remotely interested in.

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By WrenchNinja

@xMEGADETHxSLY said:

I would buy one, but then i look at the library and only see Persona 4 The golden as the only game I actually want to play.

Yeah, that was the only reason I wanted one and that's why I bought one. But there are a couple of titles that are pretty cool on the system like Gravity Rush, Mutant Blobs Attack, and Virtue's Last Reward. Course the latter two are available on Steam and 3DS but they're good versions. It's understandable to be weary about the library, especially when the future looks pretty bleak. Hopefully Sony can turn it around, cause it's pretty cool tech.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Rowr

I've cooled a bit on it since i got it, but it's invaluable on the road.

I would love to have some games to look forward to for it. Like, anything really... No really just like, two games? I mean if you can spare them.

OK FINE.....one game?

sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sarge1445

@Unilad said:

Hey,

Edit: I just got a Vita, and I really like this thing (love takes a lifetime!)

Okay so I've been reading a lot and the vita has been getting a lot of bad rap. Now I understand that it may not have an amazing lineup of games, but I got one and I love it. Let me elaborate.

I currently live in Hong Kong. I live in a small apartment with a flatmate. We both do the same job, and we both place games. We both can't afford a TV of course don't have any consoles (other than handhelds) He currently owns a 3ds and Vita and his ability to play games really got to me.

So I went out and (even with all the bad write ups i read) I bought a vita. I got a pretty sweet deal...the vita, a game and a memory stick for £160 (when converted from HKD) and I love this thing. Its exactly what I wanted which was a close enough experience to my PS3 that I can have without a TV. I play it on the MTR to work, I play it in bed, I play it at work (I'm a teacher and it counts as extra curricular language exchange). I'm no gaming enthusiast, I have no console loyalties, I'm just a simple bloke without a TV who wanted to play PS3 games, and for that the Vita does a pretty good job.

)Now my flatmate loves his 3ds, but unlike many people I've read, he doesn't slate the vita (oh and he's not one to not speak his mind about shit). He agrees that if you want to have the closest experience of a PS3 in your pocket then a vita is what you want. The other people I work with don't play games but they can see the appeal of the vita and actually find it a little more open than say the 3DS because of the nature of the titles, (from a non gamer perspective Fifa looks like console Fifa, uncharted etc these are games they may have seen on consoles and see the similarities)

Anyways, I just wanted to post here and show my support for a console that is struggling a little. I think it's really cool, and I'm looking forward to playing some more games on it.

I'm planning on picking up some more games soon, and any recommendations would be awesome. If you want to add me to play some Fifa then feel free. My PSN is: Partyhatpenguin

Cheers, guys/gals.

([ps. I wrote this having just woken up so I got that blurry eye thing so if any typo's I apologise)

PERSONA 4 THE GOLDEN BEST GAME ON VITA BY FAR GO BUY IT BUY IT NOW

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By cosi83

Oh hi op. I'm in the same boat but in Shanghai. I too left my PS3 at home but bought a HK Vita 6 months ago and never looked back. Yes, get on plus and grab Gravity Rush. Also buy P4 Golden. After that, your life is complete. Kowloon really is fantastic! Parts of Wan Chai too. Just not Soho, ugh

tread311

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By tread311

Persona and Gravity Rush are the must plays in my opinion. The Vita is great when there is stuff to play on it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seppli

I want one. Unlike you, I don't need one. I don't think the Vita has a bad rep. It's a sweet piece of hardware, and with its PSP & PS1 Classics compatibility, it has an insane library of quality games already.

The problem of the Vita is simple, it seems obsolete in today's market, and buying one is frivolous spending, given that most everyone has their mobile gaming needs already covered by a smart phone, or don't live a mobile life at all.

Regardless, I'll likely get one eventually, even if would turn out to be a failure. I think Sony might turn this thing around, if it they'll release a proper VITA smart phone (and patch existing 3G models to have phone functionality), and smartly tie it into the PS4's eco-system.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vikingdeath1

Gravity Rush, Frobisher Says (free), and Sound Shapes are all great.

oh, and of course Persona 4 Golden if you're into that kind of thing.

Gravity Rush was one of my top 10 games of 2012 though, I had so much god damn fun with that game.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Sooty

Persona 4 Golden and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 are the best Vita games. That UMvC3 port is amazing, it's better than the PS3 version. (it doesn't have any framerate issues)

Just a shame I can't use my arcade stick, still fun to fire up, do some combos and turn it back off however.

Notso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Vita should arrive today or tomorrow. I hope I like it as much as most of you seem to. While eagerly anticipating actually playing it, I'd make these notes as to why I think I will really like it as Unilad does.

• You can get hardly used Vita's on ebay for a fair price. So, if the barrier to entry is that initial $250-$300, I suggest looking on ebay. That's what I did. Sony doesn't get your money, but if you're ok with that, then its a good option. I just couldn't justify $250 right now; so, that was my only option.
    • I actually switched from the 3DS. The problem with the 3DS is it really just has Nintendo games and that's it pretty much. So, if you are into Zelda and Mario, it'd probably be great, but I have played enough of those games and find them a little tired. Just not my thing. So, I looked over at the Vita and liked what it had to offer better. Even now with its limited selection, it has more to interest me than the equally small 3DS collection. Especially since a number of the 3DS games are just ports of old games (like Star Fox and Splinter Cell for example).
    • I am really excited to have access to the PS1 and PSP games. Most of those games I haven't played before (unlike Nintendo; I've played many of the Nintendo games), and there is good variety (as opposed to there just being a bunch of platformers and RPGs). So, that should be pretty sweet.
    • I am excited to have a hand-held system that has 2 nice analog sticks on it from the start instead of having to snap on a extra attachment that only some games support.
    • I really don't mean to bash Nintendo and the 3DS. It is a good system that I enjoyed, and I see why some people like it. I guess what it comes down to is just "hey, there are reasons I'm selling my 3DS and going to Vita"
    • The games on systems like the Vita and 3DS are much different than on a mobile device like a phone or tablet. The controls make for much different game-play. I know that you can get racers and shooters on mobile games, but the touch controls are too inexact for me. So, while many are happy with phone/tablet games, for me, they cannot substitute for the games one gets on a handheld like the Vita or 3DS.
    • Reviews on sites like Giant Bomb and IGN tend to be pickier than I am. So, I expect to really be happy with my Vita. The games out there may not have a bunch of 5 star or 9+ reviews, but I often find I really enjoy games that get 3 stars or 8s on these review sites, and there are plenty of those games on Vita.
    GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GooieGreen

@notso: The problem is Jeff has reviewed most of the Vita games and Jeff tends to be overly critical, at least compared to things that matter to me. I think you'll be fine with the Vita. Welcome to the party!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.