Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

January Vita lineup and upcoming titles

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By BlackLagoon

New year, new releases. It's January, I'm here again my monthly list of current and upcoming titles for the PlayStation Vita. As usual it is focused on the North American market, with Europe and Japan exclusive titles in their own sections below.

Though no full retail titles, we've got several games scheduled for release this month. The most notable ones would be Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory, another RPG in the Bandai Namco franchise, and Iconoclasts, an indie metroidvania that seems to have a hefty amount of 2D animation. Among somewhat lower profile releases, there's indies The Count Lucanor, Energy Invasion, and Little Red Lie, and minigame collection Vegas Party. As usual expect more releases to be revealed as the months goes on.

Looking at new title announcements, December was perhaps not the best month, but still confirmation of Harvest Moon-like Stardew Valley and Hopoo's side-scrolling Hotline Miami-thing Deadbolt should make some happy.

As is usually the case Japan fared better with Catherine: Full Body, an expanded port of Atlus' 2011 puzzle game (which was confirmed to be coming west, though whether that includes the Vita version remains to be seen), Fate/Extella Link a sequel to the Fate franchise hack and slash spin-off, and more anime mech tactics with Super Robot Wars X. Also (bi)annual sports franchises Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2018 and Winning Post 8 2018 will make an appearance, and few more visual novels.

In less positive news, we're continuing to see indie games outright canceling or "putting on indefinite hiatus" previously announced Vita ports. Last month it was 1980s homage Crossing Souls and SRPG Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs, though there are probably more that simply quietly shelve previously announced Vita ports without mentioning it publicly.

This is perhaps inevitable as smaller developers with limited budgets/programming expertise use engines like Unity to ease development, and these engines in turn rely on hardware power and gigabytes of memory to accomplish that. Once cutting edge mobile hardware, the Vita is now over 6 years old and thus even a simple 2D game can struggle to run on it without significant optimization from the developer. However, that obviously isn't the whole story either, as otherwise I wouldn't be here posting about new Vita games either!

Anyway, looks like I'm done for now. Come back next month to learn The Secret of Mana!

January

Download

Upcoming

Retail releases

Downloads

Unconfirmed

Vaporware

• Orc Attack - Console version released Oct 2013. No news of the Vita version.
    • Starbound - PC version is having development problems, making the Vita port unlikely to happen.
    • C-Wars - Retro RTS thing (abandoned in early access since Mar 2016)
    • SilverQuest: Gaiden - Previously MiniFlake (abandoned in early access since Mar 2016)
    • Smash Derby - Indie vehicle combat arena (no updates, removed from developers page)
    • A Clumsy Adventure - Indie platformer (dev website down, no twitter updates since Dec 2015)
    • Action Henk - Physics puzzle runner? (Vita not listed on homepage, PS4 came out in Mar 2016)
    • Ascension: Chronicle of the God Slayer - Card game (no updates since original annoucement Aug 2014)
    • Rain World - Survival (Out on other platforms, Vita version not mentioned any more)
    • Cloudberry Kingdom - Platformer (No news since 2013, no mention of Vita since, studio moved on)
    • Enter the Gungeon - Procedural dual-joystick shooter (Not cancelled but port low priority for the time being)

Europe

(Titles out in Europe with no American release announced.)

Japan

(Japanese titles from the last 2 years that have yet to be announced for western release)

Upcoming

Retail (released)

Download (released)

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Full Body is set to release next winter though, meaning December, and that's just the Japanese release so we won't be seeing that one for a while Vita version or no. Surprised to hear the Gintama game is coming to Vita, but it's a Warriors game and I can't get excited for that. Gintama or not :I

Avatar image for doubleplusgames
    doubleplusgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

THIS is the list I've been looking for! Thank you so much for compiling and posting this, @blacklagoon. Still working on my fifth play-through of VA-11 HALL-A in-between remote play sessions of Okami, but it looks like there's definitely a few games to fill the void once I'm finished with these two.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.