Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

May Vita lineup and upcoming titles

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By BlackLagoon

We've entered May, so here's another edition of my list of current and upcoming games for the PlayStation Vita. Anyway, as usual this list is focused on the North American market, with Europe and Japan exclusive titles in their own sections below.

While there will be several retail-sized games released this month, MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies is the only one getting an actual retail release. So JRPG Ray Gigant and fighting game One Piece: Burning Blood will be download only. Beyond that there will also be PSN releases for indie horror game Neverending Nightmares, SNK fighting game The Last Blade 2, and block matching adventure Azkend 2. As always, expect more release dates as the month goes on.

Moving on to new title annoucments, April was a bit on the the quiet side. Still, we did get confirmation that yet another Neptunia title, Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls, will be coming over from Japan, as will "Valkyrie Profile spiritual sucessor" Exist Archive: The Other Side of the Sky. Also there were a few indie reveals as well, like shoot 'em ups Sky Force Anniversary and A Duel Hand Disaster: Trackher, and rhythm platformer 140. In Japan Dynsaty Warriors got some kind of SRPG spin-off with Eiketsuden, more Touhou is coming with RPG Touhou Soujinengi V, and Stranger of Sword City is getting an enhanced edition with new content.

Finally a bit of housekeeping - I've removed Chronos Materia, the Gust developed JRPG annouced in 2013, as it has been confirmed that it is no longer in development. Also I noticed Wonder Flick was still there, which it probably shouldn't be since the mobile version was shut down and Level 5 seems to have moved on to other things.

And we're done. Come back next month when it looks like we have a full 6 retail-sized games to look forward to. Here's a trailer for one of them, tactical RPG Grand Kingdom:

May

Retail

Downloads

Upcoming

Retail releases

Downloads

Unconfirmed

Vaporware

• Orc Attack - Console version released Oct 2013. No news of the Vita version.
    • Starbound - PC version is having development problems, making the Vita port unlikely to happen.

Europe

(Titles out in Europe with no American release announced.)

Japan

(Japanese titles from the last 2 years that have yet to be announced for western release)

Upcoming

Retail (released)

Download (released)

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm all in anticipating MegaTagmension, Ray Gigant, Neverending Nightmares, and The Last Blade 2.

The Stranger of Sword City news is odd, especially since so far it's been reported that only owners of digital copies will be able to pay a reduced price for the upgraded version. Not sure if it's just something lost in translation or an actual technical limitation, but that'd be a bummer if physical owners are left out in the cold. Then again, who knows if NISA is going to bring it over here in the first place, so maybe I should just stop fretting and enjoy what so far seems to be a pretty good gridder.

Anyway, as always, good post. I'll be playing Stranger of Sword City, Trails of Cold Steel, Axiom Verge, and maybe finally finishing Ultra Despair Girls as the month's games roll in.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Definitely downloading Neverending Nightmares when it releases. Game has a great look and style to it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wonder when Europe is going to get Leifthrasir? I've been wanting to play Odin Sphere for awhile but it's only been on US PSN. I know I could just buy points and make another account but i'd rather not deal with the hassle.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm all in anticipating MegaTagmension, Ray Gigant, Neverending Nightmares, and The Last Blade 2.

The Stranger of Sword City news is odd, especially since so far it's been reported that only owners of digital copies will be able to pay a reduced price for the upgraded version. Not sure if it's just something lost in translation or an actual technical limitation, but that'd be a bummer if physical owners are left out in the cold. Then again, who knows if NISA is going to bring it over here in the first place, so maybe I should just stop fretting and enjoy what so far seems to be a pretty good gridder.

Anyway, as always, good post. I'll be playing Stranger of Sword City, Trails of Cold Steel, Axiom Verge, and maybe finally finishing Ultra Despair Girls as the month's games roll in.

It sounds like the new version of Stranger was made as a "new", separate game, so for the PSN version they can just give a discount to everyone who owns the original, while for the retail version they'd have to turn it into DLC which would probably be a fair bit of extra work for a small company like Experience. And who knows if it will even come over.

Anyway, I'm trying to focus on one Vita game at a time, so currently I just got back into Dungeon Travelers 2 after finally beating that nasty Siren boss. Feel bad about putting Stranger on the back burner, but now with the enhanced version part of me wants to wait and see. Good luck finishing Ultra Despair Girls, the ending is quite interesting - I actually went for the Platinum in that game, and it was thankfully much less grindy than Danganronpa 2.

@boozak said:

I wonder when Europe is going to get Leifthrasir? I've been wanting to play Odin Sphere for awhile but it's only been on US PSN. I know I could just buy points and make another account but i'd rather not deal with the hassle.

Normally I'd say just wait a few months... But with the recent news that Atlus and NIS America have ended their publishing partnership, we could be headed towards dark times when it comes to Atlus in Europe. They have self-published some titles on EU PSN before at least, and we might see other European publishers like Zen United, Ghostlight or pQube pick up the slack. But the days where we can reliably expect Atlus titles to cross the Atlantic within 1-2 months of the US release are probably over.

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bsstephan said:

It sounds like the new version of Stranger was made as a "new", separate game, so for the PSN version they can just give a discount to everyone who owns the original, while for the retail version they'd have to turn it into DLC which would probably be a fair bit of extra work for a small company like Experience. And who knows if it will even come over.

Anyway, I'm trying to focus on one Vita game at a time, so currently I just got back into Dungeon Travelers 2 after finally beating that nasty Siren boss. Feel bad about putting Stranger on the back burner, but now with the enhanced version part of me wants to wait and see. Good luck finishing Ultra Despair Girls, the ending is quite interesting - I actually went for the Platinum in that game, and it was thankfully much less grindy than Danganronpa 2.

I figured the situation with SoSC was something like that, given that they're offering it as a limited physical standalone game. It'd be nice if someone could pull some strings and get it patched to support real DLC, but indeed, Experience Inc. is a tiny operation so I don't expect it. A bummer, but if it's a good game and it comes out here, I'd definitely double dip on my physical copy and "re"-buy it.

Ultra Despair Girls hasn't clicked for me the same way DR1 and 2 had (both of which I gleefully platinumed), but it's a good game. It's just constantly getting bumped off the queue by the JRPG of the month, because I'd much rather play a JRPG or VN than the quasi-action in Ultra Despair Girls.

And as for Dungeon Travelers 2, I remember Siren being a pain, yeah. Congrats! She's kinda the first gateway boss. That game is real great, by the way --- I just beat it, rushed through the last part of the main game to clear the way for this month, but it's definitely been one of my fave gridders. The last trophy and post-game both sound like killers, but I'll definitely come back to it some time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.