Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Playstation Vita or 3DS XL?

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

Okay, yes one of these again. Yes I've read countless threads on this and watched countless comparison videos. It's a difficult decision though so I need your help. Now I've been thinking about picking up a new portable console for a while, but deciding which one is the real challenge. Both the Vita and 3DS XL appeal to me, but I'm probably one of the most indecisive people about so can't decide which to purchase. Part of me knows the 3DS XL is the safer bet, but that Vita is oh so pretty and with stuff like PS+ adding to it's appeal. Right now there's a pretty good PS Vita Mega Deal that includes a Vita, 16GB memory card and 10 games including LittleBigPlanet Vita and Wipeout 2048, two games I'm interested in (LBP Vita looks like a blast). Games wise I'm considering Persona 4 Golden, Rayman Legends and Tearaway. Plus I'm sure there's some indie games I'm missing.

Then there's the 3DS XL, which like I said is a safer bet I know. Games wise I was considering purchasing Super Mario 3D Land and Fire Emblem: Awakening (having never played one of those before) and for games I want to play, the list is actually pretty equal to the Vita, maybe a little bigger by a game or two in favor of the 3DS. I know Nintendo will be supporting the 3DS in the future while Sony seem happy with the Vita being an accessory now rather than supporting it (other than the collection of JRPG's and Japanese games being release for the system in Japan), so that's a factor. I really can't decide, both appeal to me. I think the Vita is the sexier and more appealing hardware but the 3DS does have the bigger games library. Almost every comparison I've seen of the two as said the exact same thing. I once owned a 3DS which I sold, though that was to fund another separate purchase anyways, so maybe there's part of me more excited by the Vita hardware because it's absolutely new to me, that said the 3DS XL looks great to and although I'm not sure how well the bigger screen handles with the exact same resolution, the bigger handheld is a real plus for me as I found the original 3DS uncomfortable.

So, I'd really appreciate some advice from owners of either console or both, maybe some games recommendations to. Like I said, I've already done a fair bit of research but still find myself clueless which would suit me better. There's part of me that wants a Mario fix but then I'm not sure if there's much more on the 3DS I could see myself playing in the years to come other than the usual Nintendo high quality games. While the Vita might not even get any traditional games in the years to come, with it becoming an indie platform (not such a bad thing).

What do you think?
    Thanks.

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Given how much you like the library and if you have PS+, or plan on getting it, then I would say Vita. I own both and with the deals you get with PS+ it makes it worth it. There are over $100 worth of free games you can get right now with PS+. Plus for me I'm a fan of indie games so this gives me the chance to play them on a handheld.

But if you don't plan on getting PS+ then I would go 3DS.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Spoonman671

1) You wrote way too much.

B) It sounds like you really want a Vita.

Are you getting a PS4? Do you have PS+? If yes, then don't feel bad about getting a Vita. If no, then maybe take the risk?

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

If you've already had PS+ and have been redeeming games for a while a vita is a no brained. Tearaway, Persona and WipEout alone validated it for me and the amount of games from PS+ is ridiculous.

I do plan on getting a 3DS at some point though- Fire Emblem, Zelda and Animal Crossing look too good to pass up.

wariomona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You mentioned the 3DS comfort - I can't compare the 3DS to the XL but I find the XL very uncomfortable. Maybe you won't, but for me I can't play if for more than half an hour before getting hand cramps it's so bad. So while I think 3DS has better exclusives than Vita so far, I spend much more time with the Vita because of how great it feels in comparison.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Seppli

I love my Vita, and play with it frequently. It's also my bedside youtube machine. Very handy to check out the newest uploads. If you've got any interest in the PSP and PS1 library available on Vita, it's definitely worthwhile. The Vita-specific library is also steadily growing, even if most of the games can be played elsewhere too. The Vita often feels like the perfect place to play these indie games. Remote play will only get more attractive over the years, with Wi-Fi hotspots getting more prevalent and powerful - to the point where playing full PS4 games on the go will be a reality (it is for some, who have got really good connections at work). Also - with PS+ and the frequent PSN Store sales, the Playstation Ecosystem is simply an awesome place to be.

I don't own a 3DS, but Fire Emblem has me tempted. Dunno man. The 3DS has a lot of exclusive and original games. If those are something you want to play, it's the only place to get it.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My last few weeks have been spent playing 3DS games - with Legend of Zelda: A link Between Worlds, Pokémon X and Fire Emblem Awakening (and Bravely Default - though I haven't started it yet). Taking into account all the other games I just personally aren't into (like Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing being the other big-hitters from last year), it seems like the best platform of last year.

But, I do think the Vita seems like the better option when taking into account the Sony PS4 stuff. Personally, I'm tempted to get a Vita just to play FFX anywhere - but that seems like an incredibly stupid investment reason.

I guess it depends on if any of the 3DS games from last year stuck out to you. I doubt there's going to be as good a year for it for a while, so if they don't take your fancy then maybe don't get it. On the other hand, I doubt even a good year for the Vita will stand up to a bad year for the 3DS.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bigsocrates

I think this ultimately comes down to how excited you are for the 3DS' best games. The 3DS is pretty underpowered compared to the VITA and has a vastly inferior ecosystem in terms of buying and managing games. On the other hand it has a half dozen games that people absolutely love and consider classics vs the Vita which has Tearaway, Gravity Rush, and a bunch of stuff you can play on other platforms (No offense to stuff like Spelunky and Hotline Miami, but both games are available on steam and will run on most PCs, plus PS3 and Xbox.) You may want to play some cross-platform stuff on the VITA (best version of Persona 4!), or enjoy some second tier stuff like Killzone: Mercenary and Soul Sacrifice.

The 3DS on the other hand has some really huge games you won't find anywhere else. Super Mario 3D Land. Zelda. Fire Emblem. Shin Megami Tensei IV. Professor Layton. Phoenix Wright. Pokemon. Animal Crossing. These are all huge games that you will not find elsewhere and give the 3DS a very different place in your gaming world than the VITA. When you hear people praise the VITA they're usually like "I love Spelunky and Guacamelee on the go!" When they praise the 3DS it's for platform specific experiences they can't get elsewhere.

That's not to say the 3DS is better than the Vita. I have a 3DS and kind of wish I had a Vita instead because I'd rather, in my limited time, play Guacamelee and Killzone. They are more my style. I use my 3DS mostly for Animal Crossing, which is fine, and some Mario, which is a great game that I find requires too much focus and fine control to play on public transportation. But the ultimate question I think is do you want a big console experience shrunk into a handheld or do you want access to the special and unique 3DS library.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Just buy a 3DS and wait for the newer Vita with longer battery life to come out in the West (it has to at some point, right?). It will hopefully have a lot more games by then.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MachoFantastico

Thanks for the input folks, really appreciate it.

Some good points made, both consoles have a library of games that appeal to me though unfortunately I don't do what most sensible PS+ owners do and download every game each month so I can download them at a later date, especially Vita games as I only recently decided to purchase a Vita this past month or so. Though both this months PS+ Vita games appeal to me (Uncharted and Gravity Rush).

As BigSocrates points out, the 3DS does have a collection of games that are unique to the system while PS Vita does have a fair amount of console based games. Plus 3DS does have a more varied library even though the majority of them will be Nintendo games. Speaking of which, how is the screen on the XL? Heard a few folks mention the issue of the screen being the same resolution and a downgrade in visuals.

As for back catalog, I'll not lie the ability to play PS1 and PSP games appeal to me more than Nintendo's back catalog (the likes of Final Fantasy 9 for example) and I've heard PS1 games look pretty decent on the Vita's screen. But like I said, part of me knows the smart choice would be the 3DS for the unique games available for the system yet there are aspects of the Vita that interest me more. I worry though that the Vita is going to be dropped as a viable platform by Sony, with it simply being an accessory to the PS4. Speaking of which I will eventually get a PS4 I'm sure, but not for a good while. I have a PC that satisfies my third party needs right now.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@machofantastico: Just so you know, GR and Uncharted have been on Vita's PS+ for a while now and probably still have a couple months left in them before they get swapped out. Also, Vita Uncharted sucks pretty hard, but GR was fun enough.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the Vita is probably the best platform to play indie games like Spelunky and Hotline Miami.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3DS XL screens are fine. They are low res but the games are designed with that in mind so it's okay. Is it a beautiful display like e Vita's? No, but the 3DS wouldn't be powerful enough to take advantage of that anyway. It does have the 3D effect which is impressive but ultimately not worth the eyestrain.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By crithon

I'm going to be honest with you, I want a Vita, but I use my 3DS almost everyday and I'm hooked. I'd love to get the Vita because a lot of my favorite PC indie games are on Vita and I don't have to lug around a laptop. It's one of those issues will you push yourself to really get the worth out of the Vita, because I keep hearing people getting bored of it with other things in their lives. Anyway, I love the 3DS, streetpass it like a maniac and love a lot of the library.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By bluefish

If you're interested in digging through a library of digital titles and trying things outside your comfort zone the Vita is a great system with a really solid Library.

@ichthy said:

I think the Vita is probably the best platform to play indie games like Spelunky and Hotline Miami.

Exactly. If you're into Indi gaming the Vita is pretty killer in that respect. The big AAA titles are usually multiplatform but stuff like Wipeout, Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Sonic All Stars Racing seems to fit SO much better on a handheld. It's also where it's at for Indi games.

The memory prices do suck, but it's an emotional/financial hurdle you only have to jump over once.

Lastly. The cost of Nintendo games is pretty crazy if you ask me, every damn Mario game is $40 and getting them more than $5 less than that is hard to do. Where as the Vita has stupid good sales all the time and most new releases hit a sale for %50 off within a few months and Indi games regularly hit $3 or $4 during sales.

my 2 cents

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I would say if you can get a Vita with the OLED screen still, get that instead of waiting to pick up a Vita once those are no longer available.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ripelivejam

buy three of each.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MachoFantastico

The fact that Sony will most likely release the 2013 Vita version in Europe this year is one of the reasons I'm considering the Vita now, the new screen doesn't compare to the OLED screen and battery life isn't a massive deal for me really. Plus on a side note I hate that black border that appears to be around the screen on the 2013 version of the Vita. Indie games are a factor and it's was nice to see Sony at least acknowledge the Vita at E3 in regards to the Vita and indie games.

Regarding cost, I was surprised by the price of Vita games on the EU PSN store when I checked. Some games are considerably cheaper than I thought they'd be. Still, both are appealing options.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By theveej

if you have not played persona 4 get a vita, P4G is one the greatest games of all times.

The vita is also a modern piece of technology, its snappy and feels/looks great. 3ds feels very cheap to me and I don't dig the screens... but it does have zelda and fire emblem which are outstanding.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theveej said:

if you have not played persona 4 get a vita, P4G is one the greatest games of all times.

The vita is also a modern piece of technology, its snappy and feels/looks great. 3ds feels very cheap to me and I don't dig the screens... but it does have zelda and fire emblem which are outstanding.

Persona 4 is definitely a purchase if I go with the Vita. I'd entirely forgot about Lumines to, one of the few PSP games I truly enjoyed playing for the long run. But as a lot of comparison opinions have said, it depends a lot on the types of games you want to play. That said, the likes of Super Mario 3D Land look great on the 3DS to and I've heard nothing but praise for Fire Emblem though I've never played one.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I don't know what the price situation is where you're at but here you get almost 2.5 boxed Vita games for the same price as 1 boxed 3DS game. If you intend on grabbing downloadable though, do keep in mind that the vita memory card prices are ridiculous.

Games wise I'm considering Persona 4 Golden, Rayman Legends and Tearaway.

Considering Persona 4G is something you're looking at you may be looking at many, many hours of gameplay (as long as you get into it). As you have an interest in the back catalogue, the value of the vita becomes higher. If you have interest in (but don't own the means to play) some of the PSP/PS1 games available through the network, plus whatever streamed PS2/PS3/PS4 games they might add to their PS Now service this year/next year/never, it might be the better option.

I'd say get the vita and exhaust the library while (and if) it's cheap (the three games you mentioned + maybe also look into Dragon's Crown and Muramasa? ... and then pick up the 3DS XL. I had about a year between getting the 3DS until I picked up a Vita - yeah it has a bigger library filled with more exclusives and more unique experiences, but I'm already diving into DS games to get my fill while waiting for Yoshi's Island.

Parkingtigers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a Vita for 2 years now, and have never regretted it. I've owned a 3DS since Animal Crossing and I hardly ever use it these days. I want to get more 3DS games, but it's always $35 - $40 a time. I get both heavily discounted games and freebies thanks to PS+. Yes the price of memory cards is ridiculous, but it's paid for itself by the savings I made because Sony actually has sales and discounts on a regular basis. Killzone is $9 this week in the US, and that is a FPS that is better than most console FPS games I've played. I thought I wanted Mario Kart, but Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed is possibly a better game, and I got that free last month on PS+.

Someone earlier said Vita Uncharted was bad. That's very wrong, it's equally as good as the first Uncharted. The gyro-assisted aiming for pulling off headshots is wonderful, (Killzone has it too) and having played it three times for the platinum trophy I can assure you it's a worthy entry in the franchise. Now Ass Creed Liberation, that was a turkey.

Oh and for older libraries, the Vita wins hands down. All my old PSPgo purchases (yes I owned that silly thing) carried straight over. I recently got an NES game with my Nintendo rewards points and they look HORRIBLE on the 3DSXL screen. As in unplayably ugly. The screens are fine for the 1st party Nintendo style of course.

The Vita/PS4 synergy is a huge deal. Also the cross-buy policy on PSN. Recently I got a free copy of Flower for my Vita because 18 months ago I bought it for my PS3. No extra charge. As a portable indie machine it is also a hell of a device. Hotline Miami, Spelunky, and there is stuff like Rogue Legacy, Binding of Isaac, and proper Minecraft all coming too.

The 3DS is alright, got some great first party games. Just more variety, potential and value on Vita.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the deal we have in the UK right now

I've noticed the prices of games are a real difference between the two systems, I was surprised by prices on the PSN store to which I found to be pretty competitive for some of the games I'm interested in. Plus yes, PS+ is a real bonus that can't be forgotten. In regards to Playstation Now I'm not sure if or when that's hitting Europe but it could be an awesome feature I'd forgotten about. Like I said a while back, I won't be purchasing a PS4 or Xbox One for a good while so maybe I'll end up owning both handhelds at some point anyway, but you never know.

Speaking of Flower, is the cross-buy given if you'd already owned the game. I own the PS3 version already so do I get the Vita version to?

In regards to Mario Kart, I'll tell you that Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed blows it out of the water in my opinion. I played the console and PC version and loved All-Stars, one of the fairest and fun kart games in recent years. No bloody blue shell to screw up everything at the last minute.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In regards to Mario Kart, I'll tell you that Sonic All-Stars Racing Transformed blows it out of the water in my opinion. I played the console and PC version and loved All-Stars, one of the fairest and fun kart games in recent years. No bloody blue shell to screw up everything at the last minute.

I actually thought that game illustrated pretty well as to why Mario Kart still uses the blue shell: somebody shoots ahead into first place on the first turn, everybody else is left behind, shooting power ups at each other and battling each other for 2nd, whilst the guy in 1st plows on fullspeed ahead with no competition for the rest of the race. The blue shell isn't the best solution, but I can understand why they continue to use it in a series that's supposed to be a fun party experience.

I'd personally recommend the 3DS. If it doesn't have more games, it certainly has much higher quality ones.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By l4wd0g

If you're just getting a handheld to play handheld games, I would go 3DS XL. If you're planning on getting a PlayStation 4, I would still probably go 3DS Xl. The Vita just doesn't seem to have much life left in it. Even IGN's Beyond Crew were saying it's a little bleak.

Honestly, I haven't touched my Vita since I tried out the remote play, and before that, it was to play Soul Sacrifice. My 3DS XL I use almost everyday. Be it for street passing, playing Zelda, Pokemon, Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem etc.

If you want the hottest tech, go Vita. If you want a plethora of amazing games I would 3DS.

Also a 16 gig card isn't enough memory for the Vita.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BlackLagoon
    fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

+ Spelunky + Hotline Miami + Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number + Thomas Was Alone + Terraria + Dustforce + LUFTRAUSERS + Walking Dead Season 2 + The Wolf Among Us + MurasakiBaby + Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty + Hohokum + Guacamelee! + Broken Sword: the Serpent’s Curse + Gravity Rush 2 + Rogue Legacy + Minecraft + Borderlands 2 + Dynasty Warriors Next.

vita no games

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fattony12000: it is almost impressive how few of those games are Vita exclusive, especially if you don't count Vita versions oc franchises that are better on other systems like Uncharted. Nobody says the Vita has no games, but you don't need a Vita to play Rayman, injustice, and the Walking Dead. Heck even Vita exclusives like Assassin's Creed have a decent shot at being up ported.

I also don't quite get why everyone is so concerned with the OLED when all the reviews I've seen say that the new LCD is a slight downgrade and the other changes pretty much make up for it. Of course trust Sony to take a piece of hardware that's already selling poorly and freak everyone out by downgrading the screen.

Also whoever said that old VC games are uolayable on the 3DSXL was wrong. They are ugly but playable. Of course the Vita does a much nicer job emulating a much larger number of PS1 and 2 games so it definitely wins there. The 3DSXL virtual console selection sucks in comparison, and with Sony's new streaming service on the way it is really going to blow VC out of the water. Vita will be streaming Last of Us while 3DS is still waiting for Super Mario Brothers 3 and if you want to play the Zelda game the 3DS Zelda is based on you need to buy a Wii U. Oh Nintendo. You suck at the Internet so very very badly.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MachoFantastico

@l4wd0g said:

Also a 16 gig card isn't enough memory for the Vita.

Maybe so, but I'd planned on swapping out games anyway so memory isn't a huge issue right now. Once Sony finally lower the prices then it's possible I might buy a bigger card in the future.

As for Vita support, yes there seems to be a lot of support from Japanese developers but I can't say I know much of the selection being released in Japan nor if they're actually getting a release in the west anyway. As for choosing the OLED version of the new LCD version, it's personal preference but from the comparison videos I've seen (even if they're through a video and never an exact fair comparison) the difference is noticeable in quality in my opinion. Plus like I said the extended battery isn't a massive factor for me.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Vita. Don't get me wrong I know the 3DS XL is the sensible choice, but going on my gut instinct the selection of games just don't interest me as much. Yes I think we all need a little Mario fun every so often and Super Mario Land 3D looks great, plus Fire Emblem looks interesting even if I know little about them (I did love the Advanced Wars games though). And yes there are other I'd consider, but I'm not sure they excite me as much.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: Ain't no sensible choice when it comes to vidya games. This is not a mutual fund or a minivan. This. Is. Vidya Games.

Frankly if fire Emblem is so interesting you can probably find a Vita equivalent of some sort. Disgaea or FF Tactics or something. And of course if you like Mario you'll love Gex 3: Undercover Gecko*

*assuming the reason you love Mario is that he reminds you of Dana Gould.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have both and the 3DS has some absolute standout games. Really incredible titles that should sit comfortably in the gaming hall of fame. Zelda, Fire Emblem, Mario 3d Land, Phoenix Wright in particular. Probably Animal Crossing too. There are also some nice little games like Attack of the Friday Monsters and Crimson Shroud from the e-shop, which shouldn't be overlooked. So if you go with the 3DS you will have these big tent-pole releases, in the familiar mould of Nintendo classics, and there will be more to come. Metroid, more Mario, Kirby, Yoshi, Smash Brothers.

Probably 1-3 games a year that you'll want, and they'll be real standout games, truly excellent. But 1-3 a year, maybe 5 if you are in to a lot of genres.

The Vita on the other hand has fewer of those tent pole games, fewer familiar classics. Tearaway, P4G, Gravity Rush, FFX , Ys, Soul Sacrifice. And you're looking at maybe 1-2 of those retail games a year that are at that high level. Instead, what you get is a constant steady stream of fantastic games which are smaller in scope, but no less polished and time consuming. Forget that many of them are also available on PC - most of them are better on Vita, and depending on your lifestyle you wouldn't necessarily play them on PC anyway. Guacamelee, Spelunky, Hotline Miami, Terraria, Rogue Legacy etc. Games you could easily sink hundreds of hours into without realising.

That steady supply of games means you'll never be without 2 or 3 choices of games to play. Add in the fact that you're gonna get at least one game free every month and you will never run out of things to play on the Vita. And on top of that, if you did somehow run out, there is the whole PSP and PSOne catalogue to delve into, and usually at very reasonable prices.

From a price standpoint, it's also worth considering that PSN has awesome sales alongside the free stuff from PS+. Nintendo games, on the other hand, never go down in price. The Vita will almost certainly work out cheaper in the long run (except that there's so many games available you might end up spending more, but getting more)

So I would say it depends on how you plan to use your handheld. If it is a companion thing that you wouldn't use to play more than 3 or 4 games a year, the 3DS has those big exclusives and you should get that for sure, because those games are amazing.

But if you want to use it every day, or as part of your weekly life, then the Vita will sustain you and you'll never be without something to play.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid: Thanks gerrid, some awesome input that's appreciated there.

Both consoles have some stand out features that's for certain. The 3DS as a collection of outstanding titles (even though I don't think the new Phoenix Wright game is out in Europe, which is a shame because PW were my favorite DS games). That said while the quality of games is top notch, it's still Mario, Kirby, Yoshi and Smash Brothers after all and I'd love Nintendo to do something a little different. The likes of Super Mario 3D Land, Fire Emblem, Pushmo/Crashmo, etc make the 3DS XL an appealing handheld, but my interest in the rest of the catalog is less strong. Yes I'm sure I'd enjoy Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Mario Kart 7 but they don't excite me as much as they once did. While I appreciate Nintendo's high quality production values I don't hold a strong past love for them like many do. I've never really loved a Zelda game (though I haven't played many) and that's sort of my issue. I know they are quality games that I'm sure to enjoy, but I'm not sure they excite me as much.

What about some high quality non-Nintendo games worth considering?

As for the Vita, maybe it's the fact it's new unfamiliar hardware but the system excites me more. I have owned a 3DS, so know how that works so that could be a factor. For the Vita the likes of LittleBigPlanet Vita, Persona 4 Golden, Lumines: Electronic Symphony, Wipeout 2048 are a few of the titles I'd be interested in checking out. Plus as you mentioned, I think I'd probably prefer to the indies on my Vita.

Like I have said, the 3DS is a the safe bet but it's difficult to not see the 3DS as simply a handheld to play Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc) and I think I'd want something different on the system. The Vita as the advantage of a more varied catalog (at least from what I can see, please prove me wrong) and the features of the system (online functionality for example) seem so much more robust.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both consoles have some stand out features that's for certain. The 3DS as a collection of outstanding titles

What about some high quality non-Nintendo games worth considering?

Do you like RPGs? How about Shin Megami Tensei 4, Professor Layton, and Bravely Default?

logicfracture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would get a 3DS. There are a lot of great exclusives for it and will likely continue to be.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By senrat

I just made this decision and choose the 3DS. It was a no brainer considering I never owned a DS so I now have a vast library of games open to me. Their are simply more and better games on the 3ds than the Vita. Having just played through Persona 3, I cant say in itching to dive into 4. A decent story, but still just a long ass jrpg.

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BlackLagoon

@bigsocrates said:

Do you like RPGs? How about Shin Megami Tensei 4, Professor Layton, and Bravely Default?

Considering the 3DS' region lock, recommending SMT IV to a European user seems a poor choice.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates said:

Considering the 3DS' region lock, recommending SMT IV to a European user seems a poor choice.

Why? It's coming. Should Europeans not recommend Bravely Default to US gamers because it won't be released until February?

BlackLagoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I admit I don't follow 3DS news particularly closely, but it's my impression that there has been no word of this release in the 9 months since that Nintendo Direct. No updates, no release timeframe, it's not even clear who will publish it.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid: I don't think the new Phoenix Wright game is out in Europe, which is a shame because PW were my favorite DS games

Dual Destinies is only on the e-shop, it's £20 which is a nice price considering it's a fully featured game. Here it is.

As for other non-nintendo games, Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey 4, Steamworld Dig and Monster Hunter 3 are the stand-outs. I guess when SMT 4 comes out that has good reviews too.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both. If you desire both of them then why not?

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gerrid said:

@machofantastico said:

@gerrid: I don't think the new Phoenix Wright game is out in Europe, which is a shame because PW were my favorite DS games

Dual Destinies is only on the e-shop, it's £20 which is a nice price considering it's a fully featured game. Here it is.

As for other non-nintendo games, Bravely Default, Etrian Odyssey 4, Steamworld Dig and Monster Hunter 3 are the stand-outs. I guess when SMT 4 comes out that has good reviews too.

Oh awesome, didn't realize that. The new 3D style is a little weird to me as I adored the art of the Phoenix Wright games (even if it's still in there in spots) but they're great games so that's worth considering.

@scroll said:

Both. If you desire both of them then why not?

I probably will own both at some point, you're right but you never know. I'm still leaning towards the Vita because I'm not sure if the style of games on the 3DS are what I'm after right now. As for Monster Hunter, never played one before and I heard the 3DS version isn't the best way to play that game. Still, appreciate these recommendations

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: I certainly haven't regretted having both but I couldn't imagine getting both in a short time frame so go enjoy the vita!

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vita has spelunky and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is coming. After that, you dont need any other mobile games (or any other games, really).

Kidding aside, I think the vita is great. 3ds probably has more games and is cheaper, but it all depends on what games you like. I dont like nintendo games, so I got a vita instead! And Ive enjoyed it since I got it almost a year ago.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

I like my Vita - especially with Playstation Plus. I got it for P4G and I don't regret it.

But.... it doesn't have that many great games yet. Tearaway, P4G, maybe Gravity Shift - but apart from that, what does it have? Uh, Soul Sacrifice? Maybe?

It has some other great games like Guacamelee and Thomas Was Alone.... but you can play those games elsewhere. The Vita still doesn't have enough good exclusives to make it a worthwhile purchase, unless you're a Persona nut like me.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MachoFantastico

On an interesting side note, both Amazon.co.uk and Argos have lowered the price of the Wii U to £179.99 over here which I thought was interesting, not sure there's enough reasons to purchase a Wii U but worth considering with the price cut.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By xyzygy

It sounds like you want a Vita. I have a Vita too and love it. But, you cannot deny that the 3DS has a really awesome catalog of games, especially for someone only jumping on now. Honestly, there are more games on the 3DS, and many of the must have games on Vita are also on PS3 or other platforms. But it does have it's gems.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

It sounds like you want a Vita. I have a Vita too and love it. But, you cannot deny that the 3DS has a really awesome catalog of games, especially for someone only jumping on now. Honestly, there are more games on the 3DS, and many of the must have games on Vita are also on PS3 or other platforms. But it does have it's gems.

Indeed, I've been writing up a list of games that might be of interest and there's no denying that the 3DS as a larger collection of games. However I'm not sure there interesting me as much as what's on other systems I'm looking at.

With the Amazon price cut I'm even considering if it's worth picking up a Wii U with Super Mario 3D World. So that's three systems I'm considering now. Interested in playing Windwaker HD (never played it but love it's art style) and the Wonder 101 but I guess I'd be buying a Wii U with future games in mind, most noticeably Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart. I think I'm just going to have to choose :D

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MachoFantastico

So I've ordered a Vita. Thought long and hard about it, at one point I was all set to go with the 3DS XL but I'm not sure my heart is desperate for Nintendo games right now. That said I'm sure I will be getting a 3DS next, just not right now. I ordered Persona 4: Golden (a game I've long wanted to play through) and Lumines: Electronic Synphony which I'd have preferred digitally but it is cheaper in the box form. With the 10 games the mega pack comes with (yes some of those are crap), both Persona 4 and Lumines, and the PS+ games there's a fine collection to enjoy. Persona 4 alone should keep be occupied. But the PS+ content is a real + for choosing the Vita, even if next months offerings aren't the best, loved Modnation Racers on PS3 but heard the Vita version as issues.

I know some of you will call me crazy, but on gut instinct there are parts of the 3DS XL that turn me off a little in comparison. The game library is better no doubt about it, but I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. Don't get me wrong, the likes of Super Mario 3D Land and Fire Emblem interest me, just not sure it interests me as much to purchase the 3DS XL. Like I said, the 3DS will most likely be my next purchase anyway so it's not a big deal. But I'm fascinated to check out the Vita. Plus heard a few good things about Toukiden which is released next month, will have to check out the demo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.