Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

So I bought a Vita...

thatlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thatlad

So yeah, I bought a Vita. I feel I need to explain this purchase, if anything to myself.

I've had PS+ for over a year and figured out I could pick up the vita games a few months ago. Since then they've been racking up and it feels like a waste, I'm going to be getting a PS4 and remote play seems interesting to a guy who shares a TV with his wife. Then there's also indie games like hotline miami, which I got on PC but find the controls awkward so it could be better to play on a Vita while on my commute.

Plus Tearaway, @patrickklepek sold me on that game

I was very tempted to get a 3DS because of the nostaligia of zelda, mario etc but I really don't feel like I'll play those games much.

First impressions, great piece of hardware. I bought a PSP when they first came out and was impressed with that too but ended up selling it, the difference here. It doesn't feel delicate, it's got strength but doesn't make me feel scared to grip it. The OS is wonderful, I was doubtful of the touchscreen it looked too far away from fingers but it's perfect for use with thumbs and feels really nice and responsive. The screen holds up well too considering what is out on the smartphone market.

So far I've had nothing that uses the camera or back touchpad so that's a little disappointing but I haven't played Tearaway yet. I've downloaded Thomas Was Alone, Knytt, MGS HD, Gravity Rush, Katamari, Big Sky Infinity, Stealth Inc. When Vikings Attack & Guacamelee to get me started (told you I had a lot of PS+ games). I've been really impressed with MGS3 it looks wonderful on this thing, controls are weird but older MGS games always feel dated in the control department.

Guacamelee surprised me, cross buy games are a wonderful idea but this takes it further with cross-cloud saves. My PS3 save is here on the Vita and I've started where I left off. Great little game and it plays really nice on the Vita.

Anyway thought i'd share and ask about your experiences with the Vita. Any games I should absolutely get? Any hidden gems or really fun features I should use?

Cheers

PS does anyone know how to shut off the beeps and sounds as you move around the system?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bigjeffrey
    No Caption Provided

PERSONA FUCKING 4 GOLDEN

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lumines. Never forget Lumines.

Ataribomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For the Vita I thought that Dragon's Crown and Muramasa were both really strong efforts if you're into those kinds of games. Also the art is gorgeous.

If you're a nostalgia-whore like I am, you can always do what I did and turn your Vita into a portable PS1 as well.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Vita around the end of November and am quite enjoying it as well. i had planned to get one for some time and had been accumulating free games via my PS+ subscription for some time. I got my Vita for $175, and have about a dozen games that I have not paid a penny for. I can't think of a better deal in gaming as of now. Pretty much pays for itself. The one game that I have actually paid money for (Tearaway, for $17 during the recent sale - despite the fact that I usually avoid most things that Patrick recommends) I have found pretty underwhelming, but I am having lots of fun with Wipeout, Uncharted, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush and Mutant Blobs Attack. The price on the memory cards majorly suuuucks, though! The cross play and PS4 remote access really make this system appealing for many situations. I am pretty disappointed by the battery life, though. not sure if I just got a bum system or whatever, but I can usually only get about 2 hours worth of gameplay before being very close to empty.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Persona 4 Golden will destroy your social life.

It's the best thing that will ever happen to you.

nevalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In addition:

• Hotline Miami
    • Ys: Memories of Celceta
    • Limbo
    • Rayman Origins/Legends
    • Spelunky
    ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#8  Edited By ManMadeGod

I believe Hotline Miami is going for $2 on PSN right now. If you have a decent pair of headphones I would pick that up.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Vita's great. Muramasa and Spelunky made my top 10!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a995178e28eb
    deactivated-5a995178e28eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wat.

The VITA is toe to toe with consoles right now. Insane library, gorgeous dual stick device with a touch screen.

Go home and be a family man.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Tom_omb

I'm tempted to buy a Vita for many of the reasons you took the plunge. Only I currently own a 3DS and I'm playing it more then I have ever played a handheld, despite owning every generation of Game Boy. I'm not sure a Vita would get the attention it deserves.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By Flappy

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is a pretty solid kart-racer being offered on PS+ right now. I've spent a solid...10-15 hours with it thus far and it's been a fun ride. It also helps if you have a bit of nostalgia for Sega products.

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok I had read so many of these posts that were filled with "buy persona 4 golden now" responses that when I got my vita I was reluctant to pick up P4G because I thought for sure it had been hyped to a level that could only lead to disappointment, but it by far exceeds expectations and it's so addictive

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, isn't Soul Sacrifice for free on PS+? If you still have that service, nothing's better than a free game, right? Haven't played my "copy" yet, but it seems pretty cool.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My wife got me the Vita for X-mas and my memory card and play time have been consumed by P4G. I'm hoping the 64gb memory cards that are out in Japan get a release date for the US as I would like to wait to pick one of those up. I've had PS+ forever and have grabbed every Vita game that was offered as I knew eventually I would have one. Now I just need some place to be able to download them all to.

But yes, the quote below is truth!!!

Persona 4 Golden will destroy your social life.

It's the best thing that will ever happen to you.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play almost nothing but Spelunky on mine and it was worth getting just for that. Persona 4 Golden is a must play. Hotline Miami is great on the vita. Remote play works well. Love playing AC4 and getting collectibles in bed. The Vita gets a bad rap but I think it's great.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fattony12000
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vita no games

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the word on US versions of Phantasy Star Online and God Eater 2? I really want to play them, but I am utterly intimidated by the Japanese language.

thwip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same as OP I got PS+ and started thinking about getting a Vita to finally play all the free games I had but luckily my fiance got one for me for Christmas. The bundle she got came with Uncharted(which I also had through PS+), Retro City Rampage, Sly Cooper, and Walking Dead and I went out and bought Tearaway. Tearaway is one of the best games I played last year as it was just pure fun. I never really cared about trophies or anything but this was the first time I ever felt compelled to actually go and get the platinum for after I beat the game just because I wanted to play around in that world more.

I also played Uncharted which was okay, but the way they use the touch and tilt features is a little gimmicky and just hurts the game overall.

Gravity Rush was really cool, but the controls take some getting used to. Hope they get that ironed out in the sequel.

And I've just started getting into Soul Sacrifice and Rayman Origins but so far I'm enjoying both.

I'm definitely going to be picking up P4G as I just played my first Persona game(Persona 3 FES) last year and loved it but so far I'm really loving the Vita.

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the Vita. its like having a ps3 on the go, (and a little more.) I love the indie games and classics. when Binding of Issac drops I'll be in heaven. My friend just bought one yesterday when he saw the game library. I think this will be a good.year for the Vita.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.