Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

UMD Passport Program Not Coming to North America [UPDATED]

• 153 results
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By recroulette

This is exactly why the pspGO was dead on arrival. I'm still going to buy a Vita eventually, but this really disappoints me.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52  Edited By tourgen

not too surprising given the mess they've made of it so far

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By MisterMouse

The Vita is off to a really strong start.

thesage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By thesage

Well, I wasn't thinking about buying this, and now I don't think I ever will.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Marz

well that's a bummer, guess i have to keep my psp.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Vrikk

@MisterMouse said:

The Vita is off to a really strong start.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#57  Edited By Dreamfall31

PS Vita R.I.P. 2011-2012

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#58  Edited By TheHT
    @MindChamber said:

"you complain about passport?? you now no get.. filthy americaan"

UMD-nazi?
    AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#59  Edited By AngelN7

Well most of you were complaning about it to begin with so... I guess Reggie was right, and whatever they just need to release the games that haven't come out on the PSN store like Kingdom Hearts BBS and some others that I can't remember.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By Hector

As long as I can play my digital copies of Phantasy Star Universe 2 and Persona 3 Portable, I am happy.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By kpaadet

Dosnt really bother me much, since the few UMDs I have dont have a PSN counter part (im looking at you Crisis Core!), I tried to buy all my PSP games over PSN whenever possible.

notlupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By notlupus

the point was made on the joystiq article covering this by a user and I firmly believe it to be true, the younger generations of gamers are spoiled this is how it used to be with everything. You wanted a SNES well your NES games wouldn't work and you'll have to continue to ply them on a NES. The same is true for Vita, you want to play your UMD's still, use a PSP. I view the ability to use digital content as an added bonus, much like the backward compatibility with the launch playstation 3's.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Grimluck343

@notlupus said:

the point was made on the joystiq article covering this by a user and I firmly believe it to be true, the younger generations of gamers are spoiled this is how it used to be with everything. You wanted a SNES well your NES games wouldn't work and you'll have to continue to ply them on a NES. The same is true for Vita, you want to play your UMD's still, use a PSP. I view the ability to use digital content as an added bonus, much like the backward compatibility with the launch playstation 3's.

This is true, but there really no reason in 2012 for this to be the case.

Tidel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#64  Edited By Tidel

Oh, Sony. I love how craztarded you are.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#65  Edited By Hailinel

Well, that's pretty shitty there, Sony.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By upwarDBound

I kind of don't see what the big deal is. So they're not letting U.S. PSP owners transfer their games for a fee, so what? I wouldn't have utilized this feature anyway as I'm not going to pay for backward compatibility.

MmaFanQc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By MmaFanQc

@upwarDBound said:

I kind of don't see what the big deal is. So they're not letting U.S. PSP owners transfer their games for a fee, so what? I wouldn't have utilized this feature anyway as I'm not going to pay for backward compatibility.

there's no big deal, only some competitor loyal "fangirls" waiting for pretty much any glimpse of a negative news toward the vita simply to bash it...when they dont even intend to buy it anyway.

and btw, logistically it would have been a mess to opperate the program. And legally it wouldve been a headache to get permission from so many companies.

Also this leaves the door open for some HD remastered PSP collections on Vita with dual analog & other extras. Thats a plus.(so keep bitching about the Vita guys, meanwhile the real Vita owners will play it like its intended)

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By TruthTellah

I'd actually be more okay with no UMD program if they hadn't had it in Japan, but it bothers me that only Japan got this opportunity. Messy or not, it's a shame that the rest of the world misses out. As others have pointed out, backwards compatibility shouldn't always be expected, but when one country gets that kind of support and all of the others are given zilch, it's just sad to see.

I'm definitely still getting the Vita, as this program was just icing on the cake, but it's too bad that it turned out this way.

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By popmasterruler

@Methodis said:

People should stop being dirty poors and just rebuy their games to support the developers. It disgusts me when people look for a "free hand out" just because they already bought a game. I don't get a free hand out when I bought a Burger King Whopper and I eat it and want another one. Why should video games get one?

Because videogames aren't edible?

spacehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By spacehog

@Methodis said:

People should stop being dirty poors and just rebuy their games to support the developers. It disgusts me when people look for a "free hand out" just because they already bought a game. I don't get a free hand out when I bought a Burger King Whopper and I eat it and want another one. Why should video games get one?

Actually if you call some number on the back of your receipt, and complete a survey, you can get a free whopper (with a purchase of a small drink or fry.)

Just sayin'

JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By JakeLogan

I like how the Update statement spends more than half it's space telling you why the Vita is awesome

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By PandaBear

@Grimluck343 said:

@notlupus said:

Sure there is. The Wii U won't play GameCube games. It's a technical limitation. And the licensing ... imagine having to re-licence third-party music, maybe even middleware or get publishers that may no longer exist on board. Plus I'm sure the processor and what-not are completely different in the PS Vita so it'd be emulating games which opens up a WORLD of problems.

I mean put one of you Windows 95 games on Windows 7 and see how far you get. And that's the same platform! That's off the top of my head. Sony are a business, this wasn't worth their time or money and frankly who can blame them? 2012 or not, Sony aren't miracle workers and when you buy a new console sometimes you can't play your old games.

"I don't get a free hand out when I bought a Burger King Whopper and I eat it and want another one. Why should video games get one?" -- are you on planet Earth? One is a game you paid a lot of money for on a medium that will end up in landfill and outlast us all, the other is perishable food made to be eaten. Buy your logic games should disappear when you finish them and then you have to buy another. I get why Sony can't do the UMD transfer thing and I'm fine with it (others aren't but that's their opinion), but that analogy is way off.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By clstirens

@Grimluck343 said:

@notlupus said:

the fact that the Psp uses UMD's and the Vita does not is a damn good reason in 2012. Don't use the damn "no reason in X year" statement just because you've got some first world problem to solve.

It might be different if UMD was a more successful format, so it'd be easier to "scan" or otherwise detect the games you wanted transferred, but it's a dead "universal" format, and our old psps aren't broken.

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By NeoAthanasius

Maybe the program was a flop in Japan so instituting here would be a waste of time? Makes me happy for once that I bought a PSPgo.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#75  Edited By xxizzypop

@clstirens said:

@Grimluck343 said:

@notlupus said:

the fact that the Psp uses UMD's and the Vita does not is a damn good reason in 2012. Don't use the damn "no reason in X year" statement just because you've got some first world problem to solve.

It might be different if UMD was a more successful format, so it'd be easier to "scan" or otherwise detect the games you wanted transferred, but it's a dead "universal" format, and our old psps aren't broken.

But they're already utilizing a program to convert UMDs into a digital game in another country. The fact that they're not doing it here as well seems downright foolish. The technology is clearly available to them. Forget the fact that it's 2012 and this shouldn't be an issue -- there's already a solution at work elsewhere, and this shouldn't be an issue.

Looking at this now, with it not coming to the states, it makes Patrick Klepek's call to arms over the program in Japan a little humourous, and I mean that in a non-derogatory way.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Patman99

@notlupus said:

I agree. I find that once I move consoles, I dont even want to play those "old" games anyway. I dont expect backwards compatibility but it is a nice addition if it is there.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know....Sonys making it tough for this to be the 'end all be all' handheld platform. Yes I know for what it is, the price is amazing. But all the big main games announced that people actually care about, are ports of console games. This story, having a proprietary memory card setup- instead of using memory stick duos or mini-sd cards, are making this system not look attractable. With the current plans, the 3g version is useless.

I would've hoped sony would've evolved on the umd program. Make a dual layered umd, or even a hd-umd of the sort. Then give consumers the option to install games, like some do on the psp. Or even go the 360 route, install a game, and have the umd for a disc check. But these are just my fantasies. And as well all know, companies hate common sense.

clstirens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By clstirens

@xxizzypop said:

@clstirens said:

@Grimluck343 said:

@notlupus said:

But they're already utilizing a program to convert UMDs into a digital game in another country. The fact that they're not doing it here as well seems downright foolish. The technology is clearly available to them. Forget the fact that it's 2012 and this shouldn't be an issue -- there's already a solution at work elsewhere, and this shouldn't be an issue.

Looking at this now, with it not coming to the states, it makes Patrick Klepek's call to arms over the program in Japan a little humourous, and I mean that in a non-derogatory way.

No, no, you're right that the technology does exist and is in use. *SIC*

EDIT: The original post assumed that Kiosks were used for this redemption method, and the costs required to create, ship, and maintain them. There is always the possibility of simply having a usb connection with a psp, and a firmware update. Basically, they should bring the service to America and Europe if it could be as simple as that. So yeah.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By umdesch4

"The first five million are going to buy it (PS3), whatever it is, even [if] it didn't have games."

- David Reeves, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe CEO (May 19, 2006)

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By NinjaHunter

I like how Sony's statement is basically "Hey! Look over here! Shiny!"

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would have been better if they never even bothered in the first place.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Djratchet

@Methodis said:

I don't get a free hand out when I bought a Burger King Whopper and I eat it and want another one.

I do. I just do the survey and write that number thingy on my receipt, then walk back in. ._.

EDIT spacehog beat me to it

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#83  Edited By Brackynews

Won't be giving up my PSP-1000 or 3000 anytime soon then. Yep, if they couldn't do it with the GO, no reason to believe they'd make it fly with Vita. When sufficient time passes, backwards compatibility becomes irrelevant to most consumers, so dragging feet simply lets the problem GO away. Does my Xbox disc of Psychonauts play on my 360? I don't remember and I don't care, I can play it on almost anywhere else I'd want to. And my original Xbox has the save files.

Once they release WTF2 I won't need to play the original anymore. Capping pens like a mother'...

joe2967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By joe2967

@Methodis said:

@Methodis

Your logic makes no sense what so ever. Using your flawed logic then when you buy a dvd or a blueray of a movie we should only be able to watch the movie one time and have to keep on re-buying the movie every time we want to watch it. Or have to pay $1.99 every time we want to play a song again that we have bought on I-Tunes.

Mrugby08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Mrugby08

Asking customers to buy something twice is like getting punched in the face and then being asked if you want seconds.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By probablytuna

Oh well.

akira_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By akira_22

You know what gets me? How many times have you people who are bitching PAID for a NEW version for, playstation, DS, Wii, PSN/XBLA of some game that came out on the SNES, Mega Drive or Gameboy 20 fucking years a go? that's right lots, why is this ANY different? UMD is a dead format as is the Gameboy and the Mega Drive, the N64, GDROM or many other proprietary formats. Sony doesn't owe it too you, they owe it to THEMSELVES and their thousands of employees to not go fucking bankrupt.

The level of entitlement you 'people' have is astounding. I bet you are all American too. Get a better job, or cut back on something else, OR KEEP YOUR FUCKING PSP!

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Grimluck343

@clstirens @xxizzypop @clstirens @notlupus

Pardon me, wasn't aware so many of you were ready to buy games you literally already own again just to have it in a different media.

Edit: There's no reason for this text to be bold FireFox just isn't cooperating.

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#89  Edited By teekomeeko

@AkIRA_22 said:

You know what gets me? How many times have you people who are bitching PAID for a NEW version for, playstation, DS, Wii, PSN/XBLA of some game that came out on the SNES, Mega Drive or Gameboy 20 fucking years a go? that's right lots, why is this ANY different? UMD is a dead format as is the Gameboy and the Mega Drive, the N64, GDROM or many other proprietary formats. Sony doesn't owe it too you, they owe it to THEMSELVES and their thousands of employees to not go fucking bankrupt.

The level of entitlement you 'people' have is astounding. I bet you are all American too. Get a better job, or cut back on something else, OR KEEP YOUR FUCKING PSP!

I agree with the sentiment if not the crazy internet passion, but I don't see why you had to go and add an insult to Americans in there.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#90  Edited By YoThatLimp

@SSully said:

@Methodis said:

Because we don't feel like rebuying a game we already have? There is a big difference between buying a fucking burger and buying a video game. It has nothing to do with a free hand out, it is wanting the ability to play games from your past generation library on your new console.

I guess you feel like someone should come turn all your DVDs into Blurays then?

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#91  Edited By Cybexx

Good thing I've been buying nearly all my PSP games digitally for the last few years and the only UMD one that I'd maybe want to play on Vita is Jeanne D'Arc.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@YoThatLimp said:

@SSully said:

@Methodis said:

Because we don't feel like rebuying a game we already have? There is a big difference between buying a fucking burger and buying a video game. It has nothing to do with a free hand out, it is wanting the ability to play games from your past generation library on your new console.

That'd be kind of awesome, actually. As it stands I'm not buying into the Blu-Ray generation. Streaming is a much better platform.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By WickedCobra03

Roffles, and this is why I am fine with the PSVita being hacked. I didn't do any of that custom firmware crap with my PSP-1001, but I can see cases where it would be great. It would be super nice to have my favorite PSP games on one memory card for portability and ease of use reasons without buying games I already own for another $15-20 USD just to line their pockets.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#94  Edited By spiceninja

So they're saying I'll be able to use the second analog stick for some of those PSP games? That's kind of awesome if it's true.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Vexxan

My PSP still works just fine so I wouldn't have used this service anyway.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Jack268

@YoThatLimp said:

@SSully said:

@Methodis said:

If it costed less than buying the same movie over again, then yeah, that'd be a superior alternative.

80GSM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By 80GSM

Too fucking lazy to make a profit from an auction and just buy a digital version afterward, wait no I'm not. I'll do that.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#98  Edited By AndrewB
    "...What's great for PS Vita owners is that they can enjoy PSP games with upscaled video quality that's ideal for the system's 5-inch OLED screen, along with controls that are optimized for its features such as the dual analog sticks. More than 250 PSP titles (including minis) will be available at the launch of PS Vita, and hundreds of additional titles will be available post-launch."

I would call that twisting the knife. Dear lord.

And this, coming at a time when I'm playing PSP games quite a bit.

sandweed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By sandweed

@PandaBear: I play a lot of win95 and even DOS games on my W7 machine. Stop talking about things you don't understand.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#100  Edited By Sayishere

Guess ill keep my old PSP. but tbh, i wasn't planning on buying a vita day one anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.