Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Why do you keep your PS Vita?

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm gonna buy a PS Vita on friday but i'm getting the idea that there is only 4-6 "great" games for it.

This question is for the people who has had a Vita for 1+ year and still use it, What do you "still" play on it regulary?

// Tyty

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reasons I still keep my PSVita in a handy list format

1. When playing any game, I can put the Vita to sleep and then come back to the exact position I was in before I put it to sleep. This is great for those PSOne classics or JRPGS or any game that has a long time before save points.
    2. I also own a PS4 and the remote play works great. I've brought my Vita to other peoples homes or to coffee shops while waiting on friends and I can still play games on my PS4 through it.
    3. PS+ give me a lot of great games for a very small asking price. I've gotten to play some games I probably never would have tried and really enjoyed most of them too.
    4. A lot of games play really, really nice on the Vita. Hotline Miami, Spelunky and Guacamelee all felt the best on that system. They all sound best on it too.
    5. Portability of a lot of games. Sure, you can play Spelunky on your PC. But can you play your PC games while sitting on a train, plane or bus?
    6. There are actually a lot of good games for it, there's a huge back catalogue of PSOne games and PSP games.

Now here's the bad things about the Vita - memory cards are still over priced. I've not had the same problem as others, who seem to fill up 64gb cards right away. My "main" card is a 16gb card and has every FF game downloaded onto it, all my saves for the games I have cards for and a few other bits and pieces and I still have about 4gb left over.

The online store isn't great, you're better off using the webstore, but this seems to just be a general issue with Sony and storefronts.

Games I've enjoyed and still play from time to time on my vita, in no order.

Terraria, Soul Sacrifice, Guacamelee, Sonic All Stars, LPB, Killzone Mercenary, Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Luminares. I've also played a bunch more that I don't really revisit but enjoyed my time with and I'm currently going through the first 10 Final Fantasy games.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By bemusedchunk

Everything.

I never got into PSX so I like to find some old JRPG/RPG gems.

Currently using it for:

Hotline Miami

Spelunky

MLB The Show 14

FFX/FFX-2 HD

PSASBR (due to new patch dropping)

Other than that I rotate a ton of games in and out depending on if I've finished it or not.

PS+ has been an amazing deal as well, with good games being added to the Instant Game Collection as well as sales.

If an indie game comes to Vita and comes late, I'll most likely pick it up (unless I've thoroughly exausted it previously).

Playing Spelunky between commercials while I still get to stay on the couch and not hog the TV makes it an ideal platform for me.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bemusedchunk

According to my wording, yes - only the commercials.

You can get a lot of Spelunky time in if you skip all that actual tv show bullshit.

Yodasdarkside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I actually just sold my AC3 white Vita after a year of owning it. I didn't hate the system or anything, but I barely have time to play my PS4 as it is, so splitting my gaming time between them didn't make sense. I also found that the remote play was unreliable at best, it would work for 10-15 minutes and then start to stutter and eventually cut out. I also didn't really like the feel of the Vita's sticks for extended periods.

Anyway, sold it for the exact same price as I bought it so I'm happy. I think the Vita is a great choice for lots of people, it just wasn't for me at this time.

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay thanks for the answers, one final question before i decide to buy it.

It's the OLED version, comes with the box and everything and a 8GB Memory Card.

These games are on the memory card: FF Tactics, Breath of Fire 3, Wildarms XF, Disgaea Aftermoon of Darkness, Generation of Chaos, Riviera The Promised Land, Mana Khemia Student Alliance, Final Fantasy 7 and Dragoneer´s Aria

And i get Persona 4 Golden and Army Corps of Hell

It was bought 2013-03-14.

What would you value this deal at?

I have gotten a price presented to me, but i want your honest opinion first.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I have 22 games on my Vita; 21 on the 16GB stick and 1 cartridge, so I never have to worry about swapping out carts. Not all of them are great but it's enough variety that I can play whatever fits my mood.

I personally keep systems because I know there will be something new and great around the corner. If you think there are 5 - 6 great games for it after 2 years, and expect it'll still be getting games for 4 more years then you can expect 10 - 12 more great games down the line. It's why I didn't mind paying $600 for a PS3. They said it'd have a 10 year life cycle and it's had a steady stream of great games for 8 years so far.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johaneriksson: The only problem with the games on the memory card is that they're tied to the PSN account, meaning if you delete them or lose the card, they're gone forever for you. Unless it's on a game card, it's tied to the account. You don't have to be online to play them, but you can never redownload them.

Factor that in to the price you're willing to pay.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the first year mine was just a glorified PSP, never bought one so I dug into the backlog of Tactics Ogres and old PS1 favorites. After that it's mostly been the occasional exclusive (Gravity Rush, Tearaway) and cross-platform games I'd rather play on a handheld at my convenience thanks to the sleep mode. Spelunky, Rayman, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, Persona 4, Deception IV etc. Can't wait to play The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth on it.

I've also imported a bunch, thanks to no region locks. Currently waiting for IA/VT Colorful.

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

savepoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's my JRPG and indie game machine, and I love it just for that. And as a bonus, throw in PS+ and some fun exclusives like Tearaway. Only downside are the memory card prices. Still waiting for a good price before I upgrade my 8 GB card.

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The package above is gonna run me 120 usd.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Rejizzle

To replay Persona 4 Golden over and over.

But seriously, with a PSN+ account I find that there's always something good to play on my Vita, like Soul Sacrifice or Lone Survivor.

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would really want an answer about the Vita package i'm buying, i need to give a definitive answer in a couple of hours. Will i be able to resell it easily without losing any money if i find it not to my liking?

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Cuz its a good machine that also gives me free games. Plus remote play. I'd keep it over my 3DS if I had to sell one.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Rafaelfc

Because it's part of the family and

You Don't Turn Your Back on Family!!!!!

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

I just got mine two weeks ago and I'm in love with it:

Steady influx of games through PSN+, I have not bought a single Vita game yet.
    Spelunky on the go! 'nuff said.
    One of the best indie platforms ever. Nuclear Throne, Terraria, Fez, Starbound and so on...
    A lot of new (J)RPG's are announced.
    The Vita user interface is so fast & slick, worlds apart from the archaic ps3 interface.
    Good internet browsing, YouTube and stuff like Crunchyroll.

lou_chou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Vita is a great value proposition purely for indie games alone, especially if you've got PS+.

You've got classics like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid with HD renditions, there's "big" titles like Uncharted and Killzone, Persona 4 is great, interesting titles like Virtue's Last Reward and Danganronpa... That's just the tip of the 'berg, really.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AlKusanagi

Tons of great download titles and the fact that I can visit family out of town, yet still play PS4 games back in my house over 200 miles away.

yruluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Because I enjoy using it. Ms doesn't have a portable system and the 3ds doesn't have the same appeal, even though I own one, I just don't feel the same motivation to play as the vita. I basically have my console games on a portable.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By RonGalaxy

I keep it because its the best place to play smaller/indie games. I wait for the vita version of those types of games and am willing to pay full price for them. Also, PSP games I never played are on there

Also, 120 is an amazing deal for all that stuff. I would even tell you to get a 32 GB card because you're getting a the system for such a low cost

Barf_Surprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Indie / Platformers plain and simple. Hotline Miami was incredible on it, hated it on the PC.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By strainedeyes

I think the Vita is an awesome device. It has a handful of really good exclusive games and a ton of indie, cross-buy, and PS+ games.

Remote Play is always a really cool feature. Playing my PS4 in another room is fantastic.

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narujoe93: Thanks, i guess it would not be that hard to resell it for 100 bucks if i got tired fast right?

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a Vita in my Amazon cart for a few days now (I always leave stuff in the cart at least 24 hours to make sure I really want it). Reading these responses make me want to go ahead and buy it. I've been stacking up PS+ games since November for PS3 and Vita (I have neither). That should give me a few good games to get me started. Remote play sounds great, though I can't think of a lot of times that I would use it. My only hesitation is that I don't play games on the go very often. However, the one time a year that I fly and stay in a hotel, I always wish I had a handheld.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johaneriksson: yeah, I would reckon that whole package is worth more than 120, so if you get tired of it quickly you shouldn't have a problem making your money back. If not, I don't know of anyone who wouldn't pay for 100 dollars for all that stuff (try to get more than that if you do end up selling it)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johaneriksson: i would say totally worth the 120$ if it was just the Vita and P4G, so yeah, thats a great price

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, since you're buying an account in the exchange, make sure you get the right password, then change it immediately once you get the system

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By gerrid

I love it.

1. It has so many great games, at such low prices most of the time, and you get more games free from PS+ than you will ever have time to play. I could not care less that a lot of them are also on the PC, since I much prefer playing anything 2d on the Vita anyway. I'll never understand how having these games is a knock against the system. You could probably just play Spelunky, TxK and Terraria forever and never download another game and it'd be worth it.
    2. The suspend feature, combined with the battery life when in suspend, makes it perfect for a handheld. When compared to the 3ds, it's a huge plus. No need to worry about losing progress so you can just play something for 3 minutes while you wait for a hot dog in the microwave or whatever. I've left games in suspend mode for a week and come back to them no problem. Even if the battery dies it somehow still resumes.
    3. The remote play with the PS4 works really really well, and gives me a chance to play my PS4 games while I have something else on the TV, like sport or whatever.
    4. The back catalogue from the PSone opens up a huge library of great games that I never owned, and a really easy and nice way to play them.

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By johaneriksson

@narujoe93: The guy is agreeing on handing over the account, he is just gonna erase his bankcard info and stuff.

Since i have not used the vita and stuff, how easy would it be to "convert" the account to me?

Can i change the adress, name, and everything and re-add my creditcard stuff?

And also, how does the PS+ thing work? If i for the first time start paying for PS+, will i only get access to the PS+ games that are free "now" and forward? I keep reading about people redeeming games, would i have had access to alot more games if i had PS+ 4 months ago up until now?

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Vita for 2 reasons:

1. To play Persona 4 Golden.

2. The X button on my PSP crapped out on me and I wasn't gonna buy another one.

With P4G, Gravity Rush, and all of the PSOne and most PSP games I had, that was enough for me to justify the system and not feel remorse over getting it. Since then though, a number of fantastic games have come out for it and I have been turned onto many others. Plus, I prefer playing games on handhelds mostly, so games like Fez, Thomas was Alone, FFX/X-2 Remaster, and Spelunky fit perfectly. I also plan on getting Ys and Danganronpa soon once my backlog isn't so big. And I played the Virtue's Last Reward Demo last night and thought that was pretty good so I'm probably gonna grab that too. I could get that on my 3DS but if I had the choice between 3DS and Vita to play a game, the Vita just looks so much nicer.

Honestly though, if you're looking for amazing major triple A platform exclusives, the Vita doesn't have that. What it does have is an ever growing library of fantastic titles on a really nice looking system and ever-growing developer support.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johaneriksson: If you have PS+ you can go onto the webstore and redeem all the currently available games on all 3 platforms even if you do not own those platforms. So you can get all the currently available PS Vita, PS3/4 games to your account. Once you redeem those games against your account you will always have access to them, even after they go out of rotation. You cannot get access to previous PS+ titles.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#36 riostarwind  Moderator

I keep my vita to play the assortment of ps plus games they put on the service each month. At this point I have a pretty good backlog of indie games I should be playing on my vita too. Also like the PSP before it the vita also looks like it'll be a haven for Japanese RPG's and visual novels.

@johaneriksson The way ps plus works is that if you download a game during the period it's on plus then you keep it till your subscription stops. Once you stop subscribing all of the games you got via plus will not work anymore. Also you would have had access to more games if you subed 4 months ago since they keep rotating out games every month.

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And if i have PS+ for say 4 months and then unsubscribe, do i lose all the games i have "collected" forever? Or just until i start paying again?

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

It's a great way to play PS4 games from my bed.

Also, it has some great indie games and whatnot from time to time. It may not have the biggest or best library of exclusives, but it's a nice little machine.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johaneriksson: You can no longer download them until you reactivate your subscription, but if you have them downloaded already then you can keep playing them without a subscription. Y

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two more questions:

1. I have read about the OLED Mura, The black spots that appear, is this something all oled's have on the vita, and if they have them, will they become worse with time?

2. How good is the screen brightness on the PS Vita?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two more questions:

1. I have read about the OLED Mura, The black spots that appear, is this something all oled's have on the vita, and if they have them, will they become worse with time?

2. How good is the screen brightness on the PS Vita?

1. I have mura but it's not bad, I only notice a blacker outline (of an image) when transitioning from a bright screen to a fully black one. I think people overstate the mura problem.
    2. It's great.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By MudMan

I'd be hard to play all the Vita games I own if I didn't keep it.

With PS Plus you also tend to get some nice cross play deals and the remote play for PS4 is surprisingly robust. I learned yesterday that you can actually play FFXIV pretty well on it if you have to.

As for the "mura", it's there, you only notice it on black screens, it doesn't get any worse. The new model doesn't have it, but the screen is a tad worse. The brightness is great on the early model, a bit less so on the new one. You can play on a brightly lit room no problem. Outdoors is a bit more of a challenge, but doable.

johaneriksson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noelveiga: What about the "lines" i have been reading about, is there a chance Sony replaces models with these kind of problems?

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been using it for Persona 4 Golden, Atelier Meruru Plus, Atelier Torori Plus and Final Fantasy 9 (PSone). The Vita is a great system to play PSone games on and there are a fair number of JRPG's.

I am planning on some time getting Disgea 3 or 4 which like the Atelier games are the PS3 games with all DLC and some new stuff included.

I got FFX HD on PS3 otherwise I would be playing that on Vita.

I like it but not as much as my PS3. But I don't regret buying it. I get free games since I am already part of PS Plus for the PS3.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By gerrid

@johaneriksson: they won't replace it, no, since it is an unavoidable feature of OLEDs - it's not a "defect".

I have a few mura lines on my vita but you can only see them in specific situations which aren't that common (playing in very low light, and even then only when he screen is completely black). Since you won't usually ever see them when actually playing a game, it's no worse than just having some fingerprints on your screen that you notice when the sun hits it or something during a load. They annoyed me at first but to be honest I only ever noticed them in Spelunky when you go from the menu to the game.

If you have OCPD or whatever and think you wouldn't be able to handle that, however rare it is, the newer 2000 model uses LCD so doesn't have the mura. It really isn't a problem that's worth worrying about unless you are obsessive about that sort of thing.

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@johaneriksson: Honestly, Its the only system I bought "at launch" simply because I was going on a long flight and needed something to play. I bought Uncharted. I loved it. I have a few other games(Mutant Blobs Attack/ACIII Liberation/Guacamelee/Dragons Crown/Jak & Daxter Collection but I honestly don't play it very often. The last time I turned it on was a few days ago, simply for an update. The system is starved for games

Hell I just bought a 2DS for $100 on Tuesday at Target. The Vita is a good system for people who are on the go ALL THE TIME and don't have a home console. It also has lots of Eastern catered games. I wish it had an absolute system seller that wasn't JRPG or Japanese influenced( stuff like Persona isnt my cup of tea) I dont regret buying it, but I honestly dont play it because at this moment there is nothing for me to buy/ play on it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.