Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Are you Happy with your PSVR?

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Are you Happy with your PSVR? (296 votes)

Yes 23%
    no 8%
    I want to get one, but haven't yet 54%
    Think VR is a complete waste of money 13%
     • 
    BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to get PSVR but have not been able to find one. I acquired some money from football and decides to buy one. Amazon doesn't have any. I guess there are units showing up in stores all the time, but I'm not going to spend to much time hunting it down. This can't go on for to long, can it? At some point I'm bound to spend the money on something else. I haven't heard terrible stories about PsVR, I'm mostly upset with the number of games and price.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

I don't own one, but it seems kinda crappy compared to the bigger headsets. On top of that, if you think the price is too high and it lacks games, then why are you looking to buy one right now? That just doesn't seem like the best way to spend your money.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BoFooQ

I have some extra cash to blow on something and for some reason want VR headset. I would have to rebuild computer to get better headset so PSVR is easiest cheapest option. I've played with the thing for a few minutes and while I'm going to say VR is more than a fa, I enjoyed it. If local game shop had one I would hae bought one already. Starting to think though I may change my mind and wait......

It is somewhat fun now has since I have money put aside for VR, I can possible spend it on anything. $500 random spending money.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Batman, job simulator, and until dawn are lots of fun with RE7 on the way. Satisfied with my purchase so far, especially since my ps4 pro improves it

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bigsocrates

I am honestly not sure. I got one at launch and had fun playing around with it for the first couple weeks. Now it mostly collects dust. I think about using it from time to time but It's a little bit of a pain to set up and keep calibrated so I mostly don't.

It was part of a pretty expensive overhaul of my gaming space (including a new TV and a PS4 Pro) so I kind of wish I hadn't spent the money, but I'm pretty flush at the moment so that might change if I end up using it more.

Honestly I haven't been that into gaming recently in general so it's hard to tell if VR just hasn't grabbed me or if it's my general malaise around games.

I would say that if $400 feels like a lot of money to you I wouldn't do it. There will be a price drop, and there's only a few hours of "must play" titles, which will also drop in price. It's strictly an early adopter/overpriced toy thing right now. Honestly I don't even think that's a PSVR specific issue. It's not like I think I'd use it more if the screen were sharper or the tech were better. It's that the vast majority of VR stuff right now is just tech demos. You play with it for awhile and you're like "Whoa, this actually works, that's crazy!" then you're like "Oh, I get it" and the wow factor isn't enough. There are some cool experiences to be had (I think Eagle's Flight is an underrated game that plays very well, and the Robot Rescue game from the VR Playroom is excellent and I wish it had a full length campaign) but it's a steep asking price for what's there.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I'm still playing Thumper pretty regularly in VR, so I'm enjoying still even after the initial launch.

flakmunkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I liked my PSVR so much that I sold it today and got a Vive. Seriously it's an awesome piece of hardware if lacking in the software area right now. The tracking definitely wasn't as insanely perfect as my new Vive but I never had any serious issues with it either.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Very happy with it. I knew going in that pickings would be slim, gamefully speaking, for a while. So that doesn't bother me. The library will build.

Tech-wise, I can't say much as I've never used Oculus or Vive, but it's a still stunning experience. Tracking is the real gapmaker between PSVR and its brethren, but I've only had one time where the Move controllers wouldn't stop causing trouble until a reboot. Other than that, it's been solid. Well, the rendered DS4 slides to and fro and there's some minor world wobble as Jeff demonstrated, but that's really not a big deal.

It's not for everybody. VR is an unpolished tech right now, and PSVR is, admittedly, kind of a Frankenstein of parts that makes it feel even more hacked together. But it's exceptionally cool, and if you think you want VR, this is the best way to go (unless you already have a VR-capable PC, in which case you might want to go with Oculus, since it's not that much more expensive).

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hunkulese

I said yes, but I'm a little disappointed that none of the extraneous stuff has made it off of PC. None of the streaming sports stuff is there, and it's a hassle to try and watch VR videos. There's just way more stuff you can dink around with if you have a PC headset.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rez, Thumper & Job Simulator seem neat but not $$$ neat.

Hard to justify the cost when I barely have time for Hitman & DOOM.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

If you want VR I would get a Vive or Oculus. Otherwise I wouldn't really bother to be honest.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By WynnDuffy

I have a Vive and I tried a PSVR, I wasn't very impressed because the tracking is so much worse (graphical fidelity aside). I think Sony should have done some R&D instead of cobbling together the headset with dated Move controllers & an EyeToy camera.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

I would like to hear people's input as well. I'm out right now and considering getting the $500 bundle because it's tax season and I know that should easily cover the cost. But I do have a vive/oculus ready pc but they are a bit higher in price due to the controllers. I just wanna cover all my boundaries before I decide.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I personally wouldn't want a new "platform" like VR on a closed system. I just feel that most of the cool stuff on VR is small demos and ideas that may not be full fledged and thus never see releases on consoles.

There still aren't really games that you want to spend a lot of time with on those things.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WynnDuffy

@sackmanjones said:

I would like to hear people's input as well. I'm out right now and considering getting the $500 bundle because it's tax season and I know that should easily cover the cost. But I do have a vive/oculus ready pc but they are a bit higher in price due to the controllers. I just wanna cover all my boundaries before I decide.

Save up, the PSVR is no substitute for a Rift/Vive, I mean it's good for what it is, but it's confined to a closed system and Sony took the lazy route of using old Move/EyeToy tech to do the tracking. If you have a good enough PC it's better to buy the Rift/Vive first and then add a PSVR later if you are curious.

If you buy a Vive you can play anything the Rift has via Revive, which is an excellent tool allowing the emulation of Oculus Touch controllers on the Vive wands and lets you see the Oculus Store within SteamVR. I completed Superhot using the Vive controllers through Revive and it was awesome.

If you buy a Rift with Touch you can play more or less everything that's out for the Vive and even the Touch controllers show up when you look down at your hands in SteamVR now. Valve are being a lot nicer with supporting others out of the box.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

@sackmanjones said:

Save up, the PSVR is no substitute for a Rift/Vive, I mean it's good for what it is, but it's confined to a closed system and Sony took the lazy route of using old Move/EyeToy tech to do the tracking. If you have a good enough PC it's better to buy the Rift/Vive first and then add a PSVR later if you are curious.

If you buy a Vive you can play anything the Rift has via Revive, which is an excellent tool allowing the emulation of Oculus Touch controllers on the Vive wands and lets you see the Oculus Store within SteamVR. I completed Superhot using the Vive controllers through Revive and it was awesome.

If you buy a Rift with Touch you can play more or less everything that's out for the Vive and even the Touch controllers show up when you look down at your hands in SteamVR now. Valve are being a lot nicer with supporting others out of the box.

Yeah after some more research, I think I just wait to purchase a vive or rift when I actually see my tax return. Now, the real question is which one since they both seem to be nearly at parody now.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Tried my friend's and it seemed pretty neat. I haven't tried the pricier headsets but this did the job. I'll probably get the Switch, then an OLED TV, then a PS4 Pro, and then VR (depending on when the Scorpio comes out and how that turns out). So it's a cool enough thing that isn't a priority, but that I'll get to eventually.

Though my weirdest revelation was "oh, shit, this is just a nicer Virtual Boy." What I will say is that the PS4 lineup seems the most interesting to me, just due to little additional things in games or stuff based on bigger IP's. Less indie projects and such, but I'll live.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

Mostly. The PC I have (at least the only one powerful enough for VR) is in a location where there is no room for any sort of VR set up, so PSVR is my only realistic VR option (family home, so the PC is in my bedroom, leaving not much floor space, and the monitors are wall mounted so moving it would be a nightmare). When it works perfectly, it's great - my sister spent nearly two hours using it straight through (only her second time using VR, and had only used it for ~5 minutes prior), and had no tracking issues at it. I used it briefly in the same setup, and it was working great (I've commented before that I tried PSVR prior to launch, and the tracking wasn't great, causing the world to shake slightly). The Move/PS4 camera works way better than I thought it would.

However, when the tracking breaks, it breaks HARD. I've had it at my grandparents' house today, and I'm not sure if it was due to me rushing the set up, or because it was next to a big window or what, but the tracking in Job Simulator was bad. I've a fairly iron stomach when it comes to motion sickness and the like (when the tracking was working fine, I was deliberately trying to break it but still felt fine), but this was unpleasant - the room you are in suddenly shifting a couple of inches in one direction, then back in a different direction, then wobbling around until you look directly at the camera and wait for it to settle itself is incredibly jarring. I didn't make me feel sick, but it threw me completely off balance - if it had continued, or I didn't completely stop moving to avoid trying to 'correct' for the non-existent movements, I'd have probably just fell over.

My suspicion is that the Move controllers can confuse the tracking under the right circumstances - the problem only started when I would put the controller around head/shoulder height, and I noticed that the 'orbs' were both blue and very close in colour to the headset lights when I took it off. My grandmother tried it just after me, and restarting the PS4 caused the Move controllers to change to red and purple. The tracking issues were much less noticeable after that.

One other minor complaint is that it is a moisture trap, and I run hot, so the lens start steaming up fairly easily - not a major thing, but I end up needing to take the headset off every twenty minutes or so and wipe it down, or it becomes to blurry to read anything.

That said, watching my sister argue with customers in the Store Clerk job and seeing her freak out as I teleport her round a Hatsune Miku concert without warning her, and watching my grandmother chuckle to herself as burnt crumpets going flying across the restaurant makes those issues minor. Also, my mother's first, and so far only, VR experience with the Luge in VRWorlds - I didn't expect it to just drop you straight into something so daunting. She's normally composed all of the time, but it completely threw her and she just wanted out. Granted, that's not a great time for anyone, but hearing her describe how much of a disconnect it induces between what you are experiencing (laid down, moving at high speed) and what is actually happening (stood up, moving very little) was proof, in a weird sort of way, that the headset works as more than just a 3D display. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's good enough to be enjoyable.

Jeremy808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like mine but don't play it all that much lately. I know it's early on and (hopefully) games are coming, and it won't just die with little support. There's just not that many games for it at the moment. At least none that i'm interested in. Rez Infinite and Thumper are amazing. Super Hyper Cube is pretty rad. I like Job Simulator.

...and then that's about it.

RE7 is coming out in a couple weeks, and playing that in VR seems cool, but I was kinda hoping that there'd be more here. As it stands most of what's available for PSVR are the original launch games from October with a trickle of a handful of other games. I was also hoping there'd be some social space games or some cool fuck around things like what's on vive and occulus. But I guess I shouldn't expect that since presumably Sony will be vetting most of these games harder than say stuff on the occulus and vive.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After I got good at calibrating the thing I've had nothing but good times with it. VR is so immersive and awesome. Had an Oculus DK2 a year or so ago, and I knew VR would be rad as hell the moment I tried Elite Dangerous in VR.

Just want more games. Or, rather specifically I want Dreams from Media Molecule. Basically Medium but in a game engine so everything you make is a thing you can use in games you make with your own (or other people's) game logic and whatnot. Can not wait to see what people make now that creative tools will become 1:1 with their real world counterparts. Not this crazy mouse or touch screen between artist and product.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Love mine and couldn't be happier with my purchase! Still kind of blows my mind every time I use it. I've also never had a single issue with tracking or any other issue GB has had. Has worked flawlessly for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
    deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was impressed from the reviews how capable the PS4 was at launch, as someone who owns a Vive the better the PSVR does the better for the whole of VR. With CES & seeing all the continued hardware support for the Vive with wireless adapters, the ability to make custom controllers, the constant release of software (with some amazing experiences like Google Earth VR & Dirt Rally) & the upcoming releases like Doom VR, the PSVR seems pretty lacking. Hopefully there's a bit of a boost with something like Grand Turismo.

dr_sn0w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dr_sn0w

The under-production of units and massive number of "purchase only to price-gouge" resale assholes ruined all of the excitement for me. Also, full price ($60) for a short game? No. I think I will wait for psvr 2.0 and pre-order this time.

cyberbloke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cyberbloke

I just bought one on eBay for £172. I'll find out how well it works when it arrives... if the kids let me try it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.