Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Does psvr require a working disc drive for...anything?

Avatar image for mrcleantrousers
    MrCleanTrousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey y'all,

My ps4's disc drive completely bought it when a youngster popped a coin into the disc slot. Digital stuff still works fine, but I'm looking to buy a psvr headset and I'm wondering if it needs the disc drive for anything. Like installation or whatever. Does anyone know?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Shivoa

Nope, my PS VR came with a demo disc but there was actually a bigger, better demo disc available on PSN as a download so I never unwrapped the actual disc.

The installation requires the internet (there's a firmware update from 1.50 to 2.00 to grab for PS VR and I suspect you need the latest PS4 firmware [4.01?] but once you've got that then the VR is all installed).

There are a few games that have store icons meaning they are disc games but I'm not sure if any of them are disc exclusives. Bit like standard PS4 stuff, basically anything on a disc you can buy in a store you can also buy the PSN copy and no disc required.

Avatar image for mrcleantrousers
    MrCleanTrousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@shivoa: Great, thank you! How are you finding it so far? Are you happy with the games on offer?

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Some first impressions in this thread.

I've got Rez, that kinda makes it all worth it for me for at least the first month. SuperHyperCube also looks real good. I suspect we'll see at least an ok flow of stuff like that coming through.

My only wonder is the more AAA stuff (eg DriveClub, ResiEvil as shown in the Kitchen demo) and if that'll be something I want PS4 Pro for. Right now the headset is best-in-class (the tracking is good for me) but some of the games (and experiences that I can compare directly to their PC incarnation on that hardware) are rendering internally low-res without antialiasing and looks much worse for it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.