Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Is PSVR worth buying? I have a PS4 Pro and intend on using it only for that and future Sony consoles if accessible if I get one.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is PSVR worth buying? I have a PS4 Pro and intend on using it only for that and future Sony consoles if accessible if I get one. (45 votes)

Yeah, it's really cool! Worth the price. 51%
    No. I bought one and while I do think it's neat, I don't recommend buying one for the price. Maybe if price goes way down though. 9%
    I bought one, and I regret it. I wouldn't even buy it if it was cheaper to be honest... 7%
    Not sure; don't have one. Let's see what others had to say. 29%
    Other. 4%

I couldn't find a PSVR page aside from this 'support' one to put this in, so mods can put this poll somewhere else if need be. Anyways, I'm curious if it's worth getting. I bought the PS4 Pro last month, and the VR before that was a big no-no for that reason alone, but even now I'm unsure as to whether there are enough good games that justify the price of the set, and considering I don't pay all that much attention to VR, I don't know a whole lot about how the plug and play is with it if you will. I'll have to read about that a little more. The only games I have in mind right now is testing out RE7 and last years Astro Bot: Rescue Mission. There is also Moss which I hear is good? I'm really intrigued about how first-person games handle, and platformer/action-adventure games work on there. While I won't say no to playing them, I can't say I'm all that interested in the colorful, puzzle/rhythmic games.

• 
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see what people have to say about it: their experiences with it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

https://www.giantbomb.com/playstation-vr/3000-71/forums/

I'd say there is like a 98.352% chance you are going to buy a PSVR within the next couple of weeks, regardless of the outcome of this thread. Enjoy your new PSVR!

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By lego_my_eggo

I got my headset on Black Friday a few years ago for around $200 and it was worth it. The headset and controllers work, but when compared to its PC counterparts the tracking and controllers could use some improvement, but they also cost a fair bit more at the time i purchased PSVR (the new Rift S is going to be $400). The bundles i see right now with everything you need (move controllers are not needed, but there needed) are around $300-$320 with a game or two, which is not bad and i would totally be fine paying that price personally. But i would also at this point wait it out and see Sony game plan with the PS5, unless you are ok with it possibly being outdated in two years, and possibly not working with the PS5.

And in terms of plug and play, if you have the room around your entertainment center its not a hassle after you set it up, i put the headset behind the TV when im not using it. But setting it up is a rats nest of cables. The V2 PSVR headset improved the cable to the headset a little, and added HDR pass through for the breakout box, but its still a lot of wires.

V2 on left, V1 on right
    V2 on left, V1 on right

I went with PSVR because i figured i could play all the exclusives on PlayStation and test out VR for a fairly cheap price, and if i wanted something better in the future i could get a better PC headset or PSVR2 would be a thing by then, and i have not been disappointed.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By ShaggE

Absolutely worth it. Just know that it'll take some experimentation to work with the tracking limitations, and although the game library is large, it's still very limited, and some of the PC ports have been trimmed down in detrimental ways. (avoid Drunkn Bar Fight like the plague, for instance)

If you like horror, RE7 is a must-have, by the way. I can't imagine playing it outside of VR, despite the graphics dip. It's also good for getting your VR legs, as there are a number of locomotion options to ease you into full freedom of movement.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NTM

@mike: Funny, but probably not this time. Bigger purchase, lack of money. It's also dependant on if my brother wants to go in on it with me. Also, again about the wires strewn around the room; I am a bit hesitant about that. This time it might be the total opposite, where I don't end up getting it. I haven't decided yet :O

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lego_my_eggo: Hmm. Not really looking to buy even more accessories for it. Just the headset.

@shagge: I haven't played it in VR of course, but I've got it on the PS4 and Xbox One; I've gone through it several times. It was my favorite game of 2017, and I think VR would be a really cool way to experience it.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

My wife and I bought one back in November. It's a blast to play. Anytime we have friends over they immediately want to try it out. It really does add something to gameplay that the traditional method can't meet.

Astroboy is an absolute blast to play. I can't recommend that one enough. Tetris in VR is really fun as well as is Firewall.

Here's a few games I've picked up on various PSN sales that are a lot of fun.

• Wipeout Omega Collection
    • Rush of Blood
    • Driveclub VR
    • Farpoint
    • Battlezone
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh darn... I forgot you need the camera with it huh? Eh. That doesn't really work with my set up since my soundbar goes where the camera would be.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@ntm: You can hang it from the top of the TV with the stand it comes with, but another thing to look out for before you buy one is make sure you have the room for a VR set up. I have mine 5 feet of room away from the camera, and i would love if i could get it 6 or more feet away, but because of the layout of the room that is impossible. It still works, but there are times when i cant grab things because my arms get to close to the camera and it stops tracking.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really really enjoyed my PSVR games so far, so that has made it worth it for me.

I think AstroBot is pure joy. Made me feel like a kid playing Mario 64 for the first time again, had a huge smile on my face throughout that game. Tetris Effect is like a drug trip without the side effects, I swear after playing it I'm a change dperson. I have Moss up next and looking forward to trying out No Man's Sky too.

But @lego_my_eggo is right, the cabling setup is a horror show if you don't have much space or care about keeping wires tidy. I have mine all in a cabinet under the TV and it's a complete nightmare. The thing that annoys me the most is it takes up a USB slot, which you only get 3 of on the pro and only 2 of on the regular PS4.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you seen the Oculus Quest? I would recommend checking it out before making any decisions. Unless of course you wanted the PS VR for it's exclusives. Also the Quest doesn't release for a few more months.

MrGreenMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the PSVR while the cheaper of the alternatives is good, it's very jankey and kind awful when it doesnt work and often times just kills any enjoyment when psvr just decides to just be buggy for a number of reasons. Personally it's far from the best experience in VR you can have, it may be the best selling, and easiest to setup and play, but for me there are for more problems with the PSVR then just about any other VR headset out there. Also the move controls are utter trash.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I have a Rift and it's been hanging on my wall unused for at least eight months. It was probably unused for a year before that. I just don't think compelling software ever materialized. It's too much of a pain in the ass to clear out my room, and I've found anything that's not room scale with hand tracking to be very underwhelming. Since I've heard PSVR is not very good at room-scale or hand tracking, it doesn't sound ideal to me. VR is cool, but it's not how I want to play most games. Astrobot sounds cool, but I don't think it's worth spending several hundred dollars.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard

I let my PS+ sub lapse in January and my PS4 has basically just become the VR machine. I usually play Beat Saber at least once a week and it's great for entertaining when you have guests round. Between that, Astro Bot, Super Hot and Tetris Effect I've been more than satisfied with my purchase.

@ntm said:

Oh darn... I forgot you need the camera with it huh? Eh. That doesn't really work with my set up since my soundbar goes where the camera would be.

Pro tip: Your camera doesn't need to be anywhere near the TV. This might sound counter-intuitive but I have my camera on my PC monitor which is 90 degrees to the left of my TV, since my TV is wallmounted and with the sofa I can't stand far enough away from the camera. Since my gaming room is wider than it is deep by mounting it on my PC I can stand way back across the room and just face away from the TV and play. Once you have the headset on it doesn't matter where the TV is, so put that camera anywhere!

Also, a lot of people here saying the cabling is a nightmare and yeah I get there's a lot. But honestly, my PS4 is in a cheap 2x2 Ikea cabinet and I just have the PSVR permenantly plugged in and stashed in the segment underneath it. It plugs into the back of the Pro so has no impact on the front USB ports and all I need to do is grab the headset itself and untrail the one wire across the room to play. When I'm done I just roll that cable up and tuck it in the hole with the breakout box. Super convenient, and minimal effort.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.