Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Just bought a PSVR, any recommendations?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I just picked up the Astroboy/Moss PSVR. I also downloaded Wipeout VR which is AWESOME too.

Anyone have any other recommendations? I do not have the move controllers. However, I am very curious about Firewall Zero Hour. Is there a decent community behind that game? Is it worth it to buy the gun controller? I'm a sucker for "1 life per round" modes.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Polybius is cool. Tetris Effect, of course. Rez is fantastic, I actually think Doom VFR is neat, and maybe even Bound?

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

If you do get move controllers, Beat Saber, and Raw Data would be a solid pickup. Beat Saber is absolutely addicting and Raw Data right now is on a huge sale going for only $15.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

• Star Wars Battlefront has a free VR X-wing add on mission
    • Rec Room is a fun free game
    • Job Simulator is pretty fun
    • Skyrim VR might be worth checking out dependent on your interests
    • Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
    • Resident Evil 7

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT. SUPER. HOT.

sparkysanxion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Statik is pretty great.

vg132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dead Hungry and Super Hot

/Viktor

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By vortextk

Do you want to play stuff with people? It's on other platforms and isn't VR required but keep talking and nobody explodes is great. I'll also say thumper if you want aggressive percussion and a weird rhythm game. Everything else I have is in this thread and/or requires move controllers.

Couple things I want but am waiting for a good sale price that aren't listed in this thread:

Psychonauts, if you're a fan.

I Expect You to Die, move controllers(not required, seems less fun with a dualshock)

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MightyDuck

Thanks guys! I'm really looking forward to playing Tetris Effect in VR.

I'll give a few more of these a look. I loved the Battlefront X-Wing Mission. I also popped in my copy of Trackmania Turbo to give it a whirl. That first upside down run was a gut punch. I also rewatched the VRodeo with Farpoint in it. I had it in my cart on psn since it's on sale for $7, but it seemed a bit lackluster from what I watched.

I'm really tempted to buy one of those Aim Controllers. I really never would have imagined enjoying PSVR as much as I am so far. $200 is a great price point for it.

One last question, besides eying Firewall, would anyone recommend the Batman VR experience thing? I've read it's extremely short, but saw it might be decent for like $10?

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: I've not played it but heard it was pretty good for what it is so I'd say $10 is a good price for it.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

@mightyduck: have you used any other vr headsets? How is the screen and screen door effect?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: One of my friends has a vive. I tried that once a couple years back.

I notice the "screen door" effect usually in menus at times. I have not really found myself seeing it though once I'm in the game and playing.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Bollard

The Move controllers are worth getting for Beat Saber. Also worth noting if you were considering REZ Infinite its currently half price in the PSN January Sale!

Also, get Super Hot.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: so you feel the resolution is ok? Are you able to read texts?

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: so you feel the resolution is ok? Are you able to read texts?

You need to be closer to the text than people watching the tv of you playing, but yes you can totally read text. My girlfriend only games a little, her dad and my mom don't game at all and they've all been in VR able to read without complaining about it. Supposedly the screen door effect is minimized in psvr because of the shape of their sub pixels. Without remembering the exact look of it in Vive the only time I tried it, it's not that bad I find in the psvr set.

I feel like it's less of seeing the "black net" of the area around the sub pixels and more like I can see the shape of them on the screen, as if everything in the world was made out of a tiny shape. I was worried when we bought it, me that the visuals wouldn't "be good enough" or for girlfriend any kind of nausea. Luckily everything worked out fine and we love it though. I can't say I haven't read the opposite online, but less often than the glowing reviews.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vortextk: oh cool thanks. What about videos? Have you tried to watch 3D movies at all? Are they a bit grungy looking like maybe looking at SD video these days?

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vortextk

@liquiddragon said:

@vortextk: oh cool thanks. What about videos? Have you tried to watch 3D movies at all? Are they a bit grungy looking like maybe looking at SD video these days?

There's an app that I haven't messed with too much called littlstar that has stuff on it to watch. I guess uh, lemme see.

*Edit* Soooo, kinda. A lot of the stuff I saw, these are all streams of course, seemed to be really compressed in the first place. I loaded up a kids 3d short movie and some travel style things. I started some megalodon shark experience, fast forwarded, saw the shark and thought wtf am I doing and turned that one off.

The bad online compression looks terrible in VR. The kids movie looked good but worse than a tv for sure. There was some short thing with Christina Ricci that was probably the only high bitrate/resolution thing I saw from the live action stuff. I feel like you can make out lots of things like grain of the wood flooring and stuff that you couldn't back in the SD days when you're up close to it, but faces unless they're real damn close are just never that clear.

I feel like that last one is probably how most stuff would come out looking made "proper", but if a lot of it is low res or small file sizes like most of the other stuff I checked that would suck.

Definitely not even as good as watching like a decently remastered old movie today on a screen. Just watched back to the future the other week, blu-ray copy, and it looks far and away better than anything even got close to in VR. I feel like 3d was just made for games because you can always see your creation afterward but still tinker with it.

Also, I have had 0 bad experiences in game besides a little vertigo in a level in Astrobot that pulls you along fast with some ups and downs(I do terrible on theme park rides/rollercoasters), but a lot of the forced camera movement in the videos gave me that same feeling. I'm not prone to any kind of motion sickness though and still none of that.

Anyway, my ps4 was still on god of war rest mode when I powered it up and that was the first time I saw a regular game in the headset. That honestly looked way better than I thought it would and while I wouldn't want to play a game like that in the headset most of the time, I could. This is all on a regular ps4 too, I don't have a pro but it does sound more attractive with my 4k set and VR...

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MostlySquares

Gonna second Statik, that game is absolutely ace. Best and most original puzzle game I have ever played. (keep in mind, I'm no puzzle maniac or anything. This one stands out in a huge way though.)

I will give mention to a game that came out the same day as Firewall, and that is Bow to Blood. That game is very good. It has a ton of replayability because the game is sort of "run based" in that you play a season of flying airship combat sports..stuff.. It's hard to explain, and it's way more fun than it might look on videos. It's a game that's unlike anything I've played, so describing it is tricky.. Anyway, the game has great production value for a VR game, and it's charming and has more depth than most.

Great advice from the other people as well. And hey, do get the Move controllers. They are real game changers. Same with the Aim controller, holy balls that's some cool stuff. However, there's not a LOT of support for that thing, mostly because there aren't that many shooters that rely solely on 2 handed guns.

Anyways.. It's been fantastic seeing all the new people pop up all over the place this holliday. Been in on PSVR since the start, and now it's finally gaining acceptance, and people are so stoked :) Fills my VR fanatic's heart with such joy! Get on Rec Room once you get your move controllers. Being in social VR is really neat.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna second Statik, that game is absolutely ace. Best and most original puzzle game I have ever played. (keep in mind, I'm no puzzle maniac or anything. This one stands out in a huge way though.)

Started and beat in the past week. Very, very cool. I apparently didn't truly finish -all- it has to offer, but I beat all the levels and it's exceptionally fun. If they ever release another or extra content I will instantly pick it up.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm in the same boat. Only had a chance to really sink my teeth into Astro Bot so far and I'm loving it. I have Moss and Psychonaunts in my queue after that. May pick up a move down the line for games like Job Simulator.

Been looking through the free things on PSN searching for something to wow my non game playing family. Tried a few apps with badly compressed streaming 360 videos. Any other recommendations there?

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alias

Polybius

Everyone should play Polybius

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As somebody who just bought a PSVR recently, the only games I've played on it so far are Tetris Effect and Beatsaber (although you need the motion controllers). Both of them have been "a good time" so far.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MightyDuck

Thank you all for the responses! I am loving my PSVR.

Tetris Effect, Rush of Blood, Astrobot, Firewall, Wipeout Omega, Battlefront X-Wing Mission, and Battlezone have been a blast to play. I tried the Driveclub VR demo and absolutely loved it. I'm hoping that'll hit a PSN sale soon, otherwise I'll just have to pony up the $15.

I know a few of you mentioned getting the Move controllers, and I intend to once they are on sale at some point. It's hard to justify spending the $100 I see them around here at the moment. I REALLY want to try out Beat Saber. I love Frequency and Amplitude so that looks like a lot of fun. Superhot is also something I desperately want to try.

What surprises me the most is the lack of VR sickness I expected. So far the only game that made me feel a little queasy was the demo for the Persistence.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mightyduck: Bought a used move controller for ps3 awhile ago and another with the VR headset. Yeah used can be iffy but they were also half or slightly less the total price of new controllers and work fine. I had no idea they were $50 dollars, even when I bought the first one, until I was hearing arguments for/against the 200 or 250 VR bundle for black friday. Since I had one already and I wanted both games in the 200 set, I opted for that one and another used controller. Don't care about creed but I do still need to grab super hot...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.