Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

PlayStation VR News, Impressions and Cat Karaoke

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By DarkbeatDK

Yesterday's Giant Bomb PlayStation VR stream wasn't so hot, huh? Despite the solid software line-up, Jeff got motion sick and Brad experienced drifting and not the good kind.

It's weird, because there were many other places that didn't report the same problem. IGN specifically says in their review that they had no problems with motion sickness and Digitalfoundry, whom I consider more of an authority on tech than anyone, only experienced motion sickness in lateral and fast movement, which sounds like regular hangoVR. They also mentioned that their "sweet spot" was 1,5 meters away from the sensor, which is closer than you'd expect and rather limits the field of movement you can perform before the camera loses tracking, which might be what Brad was experiencing. Their video review can be watched here.

Meanwhile, Sony Japan has continued with their Ustream shows, this time showing off some of the non-game experiences that will be available for Japan at launch.

As announced at TGS, Sony has a collab with JOYSOUND, a karaoke manufacturer. Karaoke videos have traditionally always been weird and wonderful, but VR brings that to the next level. Now you can experience hanging out with a bunch of ladies in a park or be a cat in a cat café with a bunch of other cats. How about being loudly cheered on by a boyband in the Green Room? All this is while singing the theme to Evangelion, of course!

VR is wonderful and I still think PlayStation VR as my entry point into it. It seems to me that a the shimmering effect that the duders were experiencing is a result of the camera not being able to figure out the position of the lights of the unit and controller. I have no idea if this is something that could be patched or a better "pro" camera would solve it. I saw the full stream and know that they tried everything with light levels in the room, so I guess we'll have to see how things will work out when more people get their hands on them.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

That karaoke stuff doesn't look so hot but uhhhhhhhhh I want to be a cat in VR.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They had motion sickness because of the tracking messing up, not because of the actual software itself.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I am a little surprised sony isn't getting in touch with people who are having problems. GB has enough friends at sony that someone there must know stream didn't go well yesterday. As someone who was planning on getting vr sometime early next year this has raised some doubt for me. They mentioned during stream of eurogamer person having problem than getting new headset, and I guess that fixed problem? At this point I would love to hear that there is a known problem with some chip or something and sony is ready to replace any headset with issue.

The other biggest thing I learned yesterday is that the camera is crap, and since its almost 10 years old that isn't shocking. I was never going to vr right away, cause of stuff like this. Maybe I'll just wait longer.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm really thinking a large part of anyone's issues is the lighting and shadow casting from it. The PSVR is tracking but a single light source per hand with 6 year old technology. Honestly, if they had made it $100.00 more and used inferred then I don't see there being as many negatives floating around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.