Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

What percentage of Sony's 2016 E3 Press Conference do you think they'll devote to PS VR?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll What percentage of Sony's 2016 E3 Press Conference do you think they'll devote to PS VR? (96 votes)

Less than 10% - E3 is for the core gamers, not unproven tech. 8%
    Around 25% - A nice amount, but nowhere near a majority. 46%
    Under 50% - Less than half. Traditional games are too important. 24%
    About 50% - Right around half. They need to show they're serious. 19%
    Over 50% - A majority, but not too much over that. 4%
    Around 75% - VR is the future of Sony, and traditional games will take a backseat. 4%
    90% or more - Nearly all of it. 1%
    100% - Hey, it could happen. 0%
    Too darn much of it. I don't care. 7%
    Not enough. I can't wait! 5%
    Don't make me vote for anything. I only want to see what other people think. 5%

I really, really hate the "Nintendo Wii" way of advertising this that they're going with here, but this is sadly probably the best way to advertise something like this. Actually, the best way will be putting it in stores and letting people see for themselves.

On another note, has Microsoft announced any sort of VR plans, or more likely, confirmed that they won't be going in that direction with the Xbox One?

• 
    fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Re: the Microsoft thing: they announced partnerships of sorts with both Oculus and Valve at/around E3 last year which rope the 'Bone in somehow, but I don't remember the specifics; and they're pushing AR more directly with Hololens, which is also under the UWP umbrella. They haven't announced a VR headset themselves, which makes sense since the VR space is crowded as is and nobody knows if enough people will even want them.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I think 25% is a good guess. If it's any more than that then it's too much.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Less than 25%, more than 10%.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

My guess is around 33%. I can see it getting the same treatment as some of the secondary platforms (when they devoted good portions to their press conferences to the PSP/PS2 and the Vita). A better equivalent might be when Microsoft was waist deep in Kinect that one year, but I can't remember what the ratio was on those.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

28.43%

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Oh, and I voted 25%. More than that would be suicide, since it doesn't demo well on stage and gamerz want gamez. I think they ought to do less, but since they're launching it this year I guess they *have* to give it a bunch of stage time.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Trilogy

I do think they need to show that they're serious, but I would say around 25%. How much can you really show anyway? Kind of a hard thing to demo at a press conference. Keep in mind they probably have 4.5 stuff to talk about as well, and because of that especially, continuing to prove that a playstation is worth owning.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

It will definitely have a presence, but the fact that the only way to really demo VR is to have someone use the headset will prevent it from being too much of the conference. It's not like the motion control stuff of E3s past where you can have someone on stage using the thing and have the audience get the full the idea of what it is. Showing someone on stage wearing a headset and showing the game on the big screen doesn't come to close to portraying what VR is, so they'll be better off just talking about the games that are coming and directing people to try them out on the show floor.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between 10 and 25%. Most of it will be numbers and their plans for the future of VR. They can't show gameplay in any way that is representative, so dedicating more time to it than that would be foolish.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

25-30% I think it's still not speaking to the majority, but, it needs a stronger push for the upcoming holiday.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'd say about 50%. 30-40% at the least. This seems like practically a major hardware release to me and E3 is their last big event before launch right? I feel like they're gonna make damn sure people want one of those things by the time the press conference is over.

Of course, there's the whole "it's hard to demo VR games without actually wearing a headset" thing, but I still expect a ton of trailers and developers coming up on stage ending their pitch with "please stop by the booth to try it out for yourself!"

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Roughly 25% makes sense to me. 28% max.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I voted less then 50%, but its not gonna be that high. Being a trade show, I think Sony wants to show off VR at the show. Considering how much Move they showed off when it came out, I would be surprised if a third isn't dedicated to VR. Proper games will take about 50%. The last portion will go to numbers and non-gaming playstation products (more original PlayStation shows, PlayStation Vue, etc).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Less than 50, more than 25. They're going to market soon, and I imagine they'd want to hype people up and sell it hard. I'd expect some specs and lots of VR game footage that doesn't bother trying to convey what it's like to be in VR. Just show em like regular games and say it's all for VR. Maybe just have someone on stage in a headset to get people imagining what it's like. Pretty much like that GB VR QL.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.