Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation VR

Accessory »

PlayStation VR, formerly known as Project Morpheus, is a virtual reality headset developed by Sony for the PlayStation 4.

Will we see a 599$ / 599$ Euro Playstation 4 + Playstation VR Bundle for the holidays?

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mortal_sb

I was just thinking: wouldn't be a great move for sony to hammer these things out in november / december for 599? I don't know how big the VR bundle part would be, but you would get a playstation 4 aka a complete and VR ready gaming system plus the headset for a price that's equal or under the competitions asking price. there's a lot of discussion about "oh for the oculus / vive to work i have to have a 1000$ PC to even jump in on the fun" and this would completely change this discussion while putting potential new users on the platform.

i just bought a new pc for about 1000€ which is fairly beefy but the thought about spending 600$ just for a gen 1 headset is kinda scaring me.

(note: i know 599 might seem a bit low, but you can get a 500gb playstation 4 for 299€ on sale a lot now in europe. that was my starting point.)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a chance of it being that low. The lowest a PS4 has been is $300-350? The "all in" VR bundle is $500.

They're not selling either console or headset at a loss, so they're not going to combine the two for $600.

You'll see a bundle of everything together, but my guess is it'll be $800 at the least.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think you forgot that PSVR also needs the PS Camera and ideally two Move controllers. So I would say that $/€700 is the minimum you should be expecting for a "complete" bundle.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mortal_sb

that's what i mean. i don't know how big the bundle would be. it could be called a "VR starter kit" or something like that, bundled with basic demos and games. plus, like you said, a more expensive "all in" bundle. but i don't know if 699/799 sounds so hot in advertisment even when people buy a phone for that price.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

If this PS4.5 nonsense is underway, I think there is a slim chance some retailer could create a deal similar to this. From Sony tho, they will never price anything with a console $599 ever again.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By mike

Why would Sony cut the price of anything at this point? The PS4 is still selling and based on the fast preorder sellouts, there are currently more existing PS4 owners out there who want a PSVR than there will be PSVR units available at release. Cutting the price at all doesn't make any sense right now.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Maybe, maybe $800, but I doubt they'll need to make any sort of deals. Once people can try it in stores, I doubt they'll be able to keep up with the demand through Christmas.

RenegadeMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RenegadeMike

!!! Your Dollar signs are in the wrong place

I'll see my way out. No need to shove I know where the door is, this is as fast as I walk, thank you, you large bouncer mod person you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not a chance. VR is only going to move more ps4s. So they'd only hurt themselves in making a bundle.

mortal_sb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mortal_sb

@crazybagman: regarding price: as i said, 300€ for a 500gb model is a common price now in europe. bundling together the 299€ bundle with the playstation 4 would probably still be profitable for sony. the point is: they could claim that they sell the only VR out of the box experience and still make a profit and have a good number of new user acquisition.

and selling games with consoles isn't the same thing? i think the bundle as a incentive could be just as interesting as bundling halo with an xbox.

that's because english is not my native language.

@renegademike said:

!!! Your Dollar signs are in the wrong place

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Still cheaper than a PC that runs Oculus or Vive

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.