Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Do Diablo and MDK for the PS1 hold up?

bloodjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By bloodjunkie

Since many people here still play/re-visit older games(as it should be) I had a couple questions about these as they were ones I always wanted to try back in the day but never got a hold of:

Diablo 1 - PS1

There was a thread on this forum a couple years ago asking this exact question about this one but I'm asking about the PS1 version specifically. If the controls are garbage I'll probably skip hunting it down but I love the atmosphere in general of Diablo and have heard this one is even gloomier than 2.

MDK - PS1

Always saw this in top 10 lists but never got around to it!

edit: A mod changed my thread title, my idea was to create a general 'does it hold up' thread so that it could continue with other games/people once these are answered. If that was not obvious or not wanted then of course I respect that decision.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Diablo probably is still O-K but MDK is a very oldschool type of game. Shiny was known for making super weird stuff and largely I think they were a time and place sort of thing.

I have fond memories of Messiah, but man I don't know if I could go back to that game now.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Corvak

PS1 is probably the easiest way to play Diablo 1, unless you are fine with virtual machines. It is violently allergic to post-XP versions of Windows (but you may find more success on Mac, I have never tried it)

From the one time I played, I found the controls to be fine for warrior and rogue but picking spells became a bit awkward for magic based builds.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I bet Diablo holds up as much as it does on PC. Haven't played it in a while, but I remember the hardest thing to go back to is that you can't run. There's only walk speed. Don't think it's very cheap though.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Be careful with saves and load times for Diablo 1. That game is notorious for crashing and freezing on loading. Overall holds up as well as you'd expect a mid 90's ARPG would.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

You have to do some weird stuff to get Diablo running on newer computers, but as long as you're willing to deal with some of the weird stuff old games throw at the player I imagine it holds up fine. I can't speak to the quality of the console version or its controls, but I bet playing it that way would be novel if nothing else.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Little off-topic but I'll tell you want does hold up, Record of Lodoss War for the Dreamcast. Fantastic little hidden gem that is basically a diablo clone that played really well, had a cool experience system and was a stiff challenge. I never see anyone ever mention it when talking about Diablo for consoles, but I think it actually out Diablo'd the first Diablo on PS1.

PDXSonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I remember really liking the PS1 port of Diablo when I played it a few years back. Even has MP support.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

You might have problems getting used to PS1 non-analog controls for shooting with MDK. It was bad bad in the day and even worst with decades of getting used to analog or mouse controls.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Your best bet with MDK is the PC version. The PS1 version is fine and all, but the controls are rough, and the art style really shines on PC. But really, either version will serve its purpose, as it's one of the better PC-to-console ports of the era.

Platform aside, it's a great game well worth playing. The gameplay is pretty shallow, but it's a memorable surreal world that's great fun to explore, and it's always throwing something new at you.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By maginnovision

I still play ps1 version of diablo 1 from time to time, on ps, its fine. MDK is hard to go back to anywhere though. I don't think 2 holds up either.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

MDK has some simple charm. I put it in the same category as One or Apocalypse, fun games that I like more than I should due to nostalgia.

No idea if playing it for the first time has any value.

bloodjunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheers for the info everyone. Didn't know you can't run in D1, I can see that being rough.

Will check out Record of Lodoss War too(though I don't have a Dreamcast).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.