Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Help me identify this random PS1 game.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#1  Edited By vigorousjammer

Hey guys! So i'm trying to remember a PS1 game.

I remember the year was 2001, and I played it only briefly in a demo kiosk at a "Nobody Beats The Wiz" store, back when those were still around.

My parents were getting broadband internet and had to get a cable modem from the store. I also remember it was likely January of 2001 because this was the same day I got Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, which came out in November of 2000 and I remember getting that game with my Christmas money.

Anyway, here's what I remember about the game:

1. It was polygonal.
    2. It was a side-scroller
    3. The characters seemed to be anime inspired, and felt very cartoony with vibrant colors... I think one of them may have had blue spiky hair.
    4. It's definitely NOT Tomba.
    5. There was a lot of dialogue, making it feel almost like a JRPG...
    6. The level I played, you were in a jungle or swamp of some kind, and in the level, you eventually ended up getitng into a boss firht with these two guys who were trying to kidnap a little girl... One was tall & thin, the other was fat & short, and they MAY have been wearing safari hunter outfits too, but I'm not 100% sure.

Does anybody know what game this is?

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, after doing a little more searching of my own... I found out what the game was:

It's the 1999 Squaresoft RPG Threads of Fate.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

No Caption Provided

moffattron9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It sounds a bit like Klonoa, but that came out in 1998, so that may disqualify it.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By zeforgotten

And nobody read the second post.
    Glad you found the game though, also gave me a reason to find the game and pop it back in the Playstation and play it.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeforgotten said:

And nobody read the second post.

Glad you found the game though, also gave me a reason to find the game and pop it back in the Playstation and play it.

Funny thing, I've also played both Tomba and Klonoa in store demo kiosks back then... it just wasn't the game I was thinking of here, lol.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I played the demo for Threads of Fate a few times; though the demo for Front Mission 3 was much better since it was like 5 hours long.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Holy shit, the second I read the title of this post, before I even clicked I thought "It's probably Threads of Fate" because I too played that demo and forgot the name only to rediscover it out many years later.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Looks like OP triple OG found the answer, so I'm lockin' this down... like a baaaawwwwsssss.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.