Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation

Platform »

Sony's first video game console established the PlayStation brand. It dominated the 32/64-bit era and was the best-selling home console up until the PlayStation 2.

Sony streaming a PlayStation news event on March 25th

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

So, yeah, Sony is coming out of the gate with something to say a week after Google Announced Stadia. I think it pretty obvious that even if the console manufactures wanted to ignore streaming for the moment, they really cannot do that anymore. Oh, Sony doesn't have to have a whole presentation about how they are 'fighting this' or 'joining this', but they do have to have somthing substantive to say on teh topic before they move on to other topics.

My question is does SOny actually say anything about PS5 that is beyond hints? Do they explain their rough plans for the next console? Or, do they talk about the games coming out in teh next few months, give a presentation on some non-gaming services that will get upgraded, and then end the show with some very teasing possibilities for what they next console will be?

For my part I say if Sony is going forwards with talking at this moment, it because they have to talk. So, I expect a response to Google Stadia. They need to make PS5 something existing excited...or at least not pessimistic. Sony will be showing they are in the game, they have a response. Because I think saying NOTHING woudl be better than having a PlayStation news event with weak news. They are doing this event so my guess is they will be talking.

This is my take: (ALL VERY PIE IN THE SKY THEORETICAL based on no knowledge except for item one)

• Sony is going to use AMD Ryzen 2 (3000) CPU architecture with AMD Navi graphics architecture. This will be powerful, effient, and will use DDR6 RAM instead of the more pricey HBM2.
    • This sort of system is specifically made to be what people will need to want for the next six years.
    • They will stress that PS5 will be 'some %' more powerful than PS4 Pro, that ist will computer & render games locally at 4K, 60fps..yadda, yadda, yadda
    • They system will sell for $399
    • They will say they are 100% compatible with Google Stadia...BOOM!
    • They will have some sort of 'pass through' mode where if you are streaming the PS5's backend does not get in the way. Stadia, PS Now, or any other streaming service will have a clear unimpeded path for input and rendering to the screen...yet, PS5 can overlay -without lag to the game on screen- PSN functionality. So, grabbing screen video, still images, or downloading another game still can happen. Any of these functions will be SLOWER, but the PS5 will be metering when it can send/receive packets for these functions without affecting the stream.

The thing with Stadia....you really can't fight it.

I assure you the first thing any hacker will do to a device that BLOCKS Stadia is to unblock it. So I think Sony will be cutting its deal, PlayStation games will be on Stadia. You might say "That makes no sense!" Oh, but it does make a lot of sense, because people will still want physical games or downloaded games locall for many years, so that part of Sony's business still goes along as always. There is STILL money to be made by making it so that people can play PlayStation exclusives anywhere, anytime by streaming. And, SOny get to offload teh hadach of servers, nodes in each regions of each country, and all teh other aspects. In other worlds....I bet PS Now is doing to be gone as soon as Stadia starts up.

The key for Sony is they want to be an affordable device that plays games locally and a really good option for people who want a device that streams too. That's why Sony will be working VERY hard to keep PS5 under $400, because they want this as good option. They want to provide something that plays locally, stores locally, while still being good for Twitch too. Keep in mind Microsoft was pretty much saying "Well your games will play on Xbox and PC!" And this is Sony saying, "Eh, yeah, everything does that Microsoft...duh. People will be playing Playstation 'first party' games on PC and Xbox...while paying us."

So, my guess, is that Sony will reveal a good bit about PS5, and they will reveal they are 100% going to provide past and future game son Stadia. They might even remind customers, who have a PS4, that they ALREADY have a device that will do Stadia on their HDTV. PS Now will stay for now, but will go away when Stadia starts. My guess is Stadia will be far less than PS Now....far less.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

The tricky thing is, how do you make a 2nd or 3rd impression of PS Now? I heard it improved quite a bit since its introduction but like the launch of XBO, most ppl have their minds made up already about that service. They have to be more aggressive with getting PS Now out there, prove it works, prove its good, maybe offer free trials, put up newer games.

Anyway, Stadia is not a sure thing so Sony will have a multipronged approach to all this. Hopefully the backwards-compatibility thing is all true because I have PS1, PS2, PS3, and of course PS4 games and having a system that finally plays all of it, including my digital library, would be beyond enticing.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Getting people to look at PS Now again is pretty easy. Just say "For everyone with PS+: Don't waste your time downloading it. Just boot it up on PS Now and play for up to three hours with all of your progress transferring over to your account should you download it after".

It isn't as compelling as "Try our shit and we'll give you the new Ass Creed" but it is a way to encourage people to give it a go. Combine that with backwards compatibility (MGS4) and you have a compelling reason to see if their service even works

The main issue being that Sony needs a service worth using before they encourage people to try it .And if it weren't for Nintendo, Sony would be the bottom of the barrel in terms of online infrastructure by a very large margin.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stadia is an interesting idea, but I doubt it'll work right now. Most of us in America have a data cap (1TB a month for me). Some people are lower like 300GB a month. Between data caps and lag I doubt it'll be a great experience now or in the years to come. Google Fiber needs to be nationwide first. There will also be the problem in countries that have slow or bad quality internet and exclusives matter a lot, maybe the most.

It seems too early in the year for Sony to announce a new console unless it's coming out this year, which feels too soon, it seems like this gen just started to get good last year.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

It's like Nintendo's concept, which it sounds like it is, then I hope that they go full circle with it and copy their formula of generally only talking about new games, cause that'd be great.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think you are reading way to into this thing. They have basically said this is a show they have been planing on doing and are going to do every so often just to show off games, and probably some updates on whats going on in the PlayStation ecosystem, nothing else. It just so happened to launch after someone else had a big announcement. This was announced the other day, not a month in advanced with a "hey we are having an event in (insert major city) about something" which is more then likely how they will announce the PS5.

And i don't see Sony giving up to Stadia after one presentation a week after its big reveal. They are going to keep going with PS Now so long as it is profitable for them, and probably use the same strategy as Microsoft and offer PS5 game streaming from the start, and probably use it as there "game pass". Rather then the big misstep they have done which is release games on it from a system that has been out for years, and people have already spent there money on buying said console and games.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think you are reading way to into this thing. They have basically said this is a show they have been planing on doing and are going to do every so often just to show off games, and probably some updates on whats going on in the PlayStation ecosystem, nothing else.

yeah i agree. sony's currently in the power position relative to google and microsoft in the $60-game-space, so i think it would be giving stadia too much oxygen to immediately respond (not to mention logistically dubious).

and this thing doesn't feel high-profile enough for a hardware announcement. i imagine this is games, games, games- which frankly is enough to remind everyone sony has a deep enough bench to hold everyone's interest for awhile.

maybe we get a tease of announcement- something like 'catch us this summer for a glimpse into the future of playstation,' but that's about it.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mellotronrules: I think the question is just how many games they actually have in their bench. We'll see a Ghosts of Tsushime (sp?) and Last of Us trailer. Maybe we'll get a release date for one of those if we don't already. Maybe we'll get a recap of some of the stuff they've been posting on their blog nobody reads lately (woo! Suda51 DLC for Fire Pro!!!!). But nothing even seems particularly meaningful for a "direct"

Hardware is definitely way too early and I would be surprised if we even see that during the inevitable Summer E3-adjacent stream.

But reminding people that PS Now exists and maybe even spinning it as "Some people want you to not buy consoles. Fuck that, we're old school. We want you to buy our consoles. But if you are visiting family or want to play a PS3 game we got that covered with The Cloud" is a pretty logical move. Similar to how the PS4 announcement was, in many ways, a direct response to the XBONE debacle.

I just don't think they should. PS Now is still pretty bad (I checked) and it has a lot of negativity associated with it (not the first time I checked...). And there are only so many times people will check that out before they have to rename it. And I think Sony have maybe one or two "I'll give it a go"s left in the tank.

Avatar image for cursethesemetalhands
    CurseTheseMetalHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to imagine Sony's attitude towards Stadia will be similar to how they smirked at Microsoft's all-digital/always online plans for the Xbox One and, if the comment at all, they'll just highlight how the Playstation 5 will be the place for collectors, for people who want to actually own their games and share them with friends and family. I mean, Sony still have a vested interest in keeping physical media - particularly Blu-ray - alive and well. While they'll need to make concessions for streaming possibilities, I honestly can't imagine they following the all-digital path in the immediate future. (Unless it turns out that the percentage of people who actually care about physical media isn't high enough to keep Sony on top come next gen.)

This will likely be a focus on Sony's upcoming games and services, and maybe announcing a price cut for their systems. (If new consoles are coming next year - and Microsoft's All-Digital console will be on shelves in May - then there has to be a serious price cut for current systems coming soon. And it's conceivable that Sony would want to jump out there and have the cheapest system on the market, even if only temporarily.) Whether or not they delve into the Playstation 5...might depend on 1) whether it's actually coming out next year or the year after (if it's not launching until 2021, talking about it now seems pointless) and 2) if they feel confident about it, if they want to tip their hand before knowing what Microsoft rolls out at E3. Even though Sony's hubris has been steadily creeping back into the brand, I'd like to think nobody at the company wants a repeat of the PS3 fiasco.

I don't have any particular expectations, but I really hope that it's interesting and worth my time.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t need to hear about PS5 yet, just give me release dates for Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima and whatnot.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's hard to say what will happen with PS Now, i thought i was reading something wrong at first when the 19.99 a month price tag was announced, that is absurd for what you're getting. If thats what streaming games has to cost then I'll have to skip the Stadia too

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ATastySlurpee

I think its going to be more of what Nintendo does. Going to get some updates/release dates for games like Medievil remake, TLoU2, Ghost of Tsushima probably some Days Gone stuff, etc. I dont think you'll hear anything about the PS5 yet. And as far as streaiming, Sony's MO this gen is to wait and respond AFTER instead of being on the forefront.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, I boned that prognosticationI...Oh well. I really thought they would be talking now instead letting Google get weeks of speculation with Stadia. Sometimes you make a swing but wiff..

On the bright side, I guess Sony VR isn't dead

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it was nothing more than a Playstation Direct.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You still might be right, they just aren't talking about any big stuff yet. I bet they spill more about PS5/streaming after E3, let Microsoft take the first swing.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

The lack of a charming host and ending it with a big reveal made it pale in comparison to the thing they are trying to emulate. Still needs some work, Sony.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.