Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White Version 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 07, 2012

The story of Pokémon Black/White continues in this direct sequel for the Nintendo DS system.

Black and White 2 (hopes vs expectations)

echo13791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By echo13791

http://ocdgaming.org/2012/02/26/pokemon-say-what/

Check out that article and let me know what you think. I really feel like the "2" warrants something new, and I'll be very disappointed if Game Freak just goes down the same old path they've been treading for years.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By hatking
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RE_Player1

When it was announced I kinda felt the urge to get interested in Pokemon again but I remembered that I got 3 badges into Black and sold it because I was having zero fun. I've come to terms with knowing I'm a Red/Blue/Yellow/Green and Silver/Gold/Crystal guy. When I get the urge to play some Pokemon I pull out the remakes and play them.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By crusader8463

@HatKing said:

I thought this was about Black and White 2. My mistake.

I was going to say don't you mean Black and White 3?

As for the topic, no matter what the name on the box might be it's just Nintendo churning out another annual Pokemon game. I have given up on the series doing anything nifty until they finally get around to making the Pokemon MMO or at least bringing it into a full fledged 3D big boy RPG. As much as I loved the games growing up I just can't play another dam iteration that's just the same as the first ones with some more bells and whistles throw on top. I can't even play with the Pokemon I like any more because other then a few token appearances they never show any of the original 151 in these games any more.

Nintendo has no reason to change the formula because people keep buying these games by the truck load, but I personally am done with the series until the above mentioned.

echo13791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By echo13791

I still enjoyed Black and White, but not as much as I would have liked; although, it did serve pretty well as a light "RPG," which I need sometimes. Like you said, another thing that irks me about the current games is that I hardly ever see Pokemon that I know. Not only that, but most of the new Pokemon are ridiculous and I'd never want to catch and use some of these crazy ass creations (look at Garbador, a bag of trash...).

Anyways, I'm hoping the 2 means something. If they wanted to churn out the same exact thing, why not just make Grey?

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By crusader8463

@echo13791: I just googled that Pokemon and a little more of my childhood died. Thanks for that.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

I hope there would be more diversity along the lines of creature personality traits and abilities. More cultures and miracles. Perhaps some Peter Molyneux's Balls DLC.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JammyJesus

I fell out of favour with Pokemon when you started dressing them up.

echo13791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By echo13791

@crusader8463: I'm sorry man, but there's more. If you want some insanely terrible looking Pokemon, check out Probopass. If you want some generically named ones, look up Chandelure, Gurdurr, or Tablechairdeskmon.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crusader8463

@echo13791: If you are that desperate to come up with new Pokemon stop adding new Pokemon! It adds nothing to the game because they are still going to use the same old moves. That in a nutshell is one of the biggest reasons I don't like Pokemon any more. The first time they added a few more was this big huge event that blew my mind. When they add more and more annually the wow factor is diminished to zero. I used to pride myself on being able to know all the pokemon names and evolutions. Hell, if I thought hard enough I could still probably list them all out over a decade later! It would be impossible to do that now.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By KingBroly

I hope there's a different story/progression structure this time around. I don't want to start in a small town, get my first Pokemon, go and defeat 8 Gym Leaders to get Badges so I can become League Champion by smacking the Elite 4 down all the while taking down the bad guys anymore.

echo13791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By echo13791

I actually read on Gamespot earlier that the games might be a sequel or sorts, so we might get lucky! No one can be sure though. I'll link the GS article if I can find it (it also mentioned a fall release for the game in the UK.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BrockNRolla

@HatKing said:

My thoughts exactly.

Ulain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Ulain

No thanks; after trying to play White to much disappointment, I'm done with Pokemon. I even got HeartGold a while back and got bored, considering I'd already played it as the original Gold. Adding different spites with the same basic moves, same exact story, and a way over-complicated stats system (too easy to beat the games, but way too much time-investment if you ever planned to play in a tournament).

Most of the new pokemon look like garbage anyway. Literally and figuratively I hear.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By benspyda

@BrockNRolla said:

@HatKing said:

My thoughts exactly.

Would be a valid topic back in 2005.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kindgineer

@echo13791 said:

@crusader8463: I'm sorry man, but there's more. If you want some insanely terrible looking Pokemon, check out Probopass. If you want some generically named ones, look up Chandelure, Gurdurr, or Tablechairdeskmon.

I wonder if part of their art crew just goes to an antique shop and writes down objects to try and facilitate into a new pokemon. It's my only explanation for where the chandelier one came from...

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @HatKing said:

You and me both. Peace
    MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By MezZa

@HatKing said:

Me too, except I assumed he meant 3 and typo'd.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Honestly more of the same is great for me. Maybe a longer single player story like the first black and white and more to do after the story.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BrockNRolla

@benspyda said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@HatKing said:

My thoughts exactly.

Would be a valid topic back in 2005.

Ergo, my surprise.

bennym6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By bennym6

@crusader8463: I understand your arguments but they most likely will not make a Pokemon MMO

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By crusader8463

@bennym6 said:

@crusader8463: I understand your arguments but they most likely will not make a Pokemon MMO

Oh I know they wont. A guy can dream though.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#23  Edited By Icemael

I know this thread is for reading and commenting on your article, but instead I'm just going to pretend it's what the title led me to believe it was and post my own hopes and expectations.

I hope they:  

• Reduce the load and save times considerably.
    • Introduce multiple save files.
    • Make proper sprites for when you send Pokemon out instead of these upscaled abominations they've got now. If those pixelated pieces of shit are the best they can do I'd rather go back to static sprites. Also, there should be no scaling effects in combat. It looks horrible for fuck's sake. Either make proper animations or don't make any at all.
    • Let you disable random battles without having to buy a bunch of shitty Repel items and constantly opening the menu to use another one. Or better yet, just remove random battles entirely.
    • Make more interesting locations. Ruby and Sapphire had a town of treehouses, an active volcano, a shipwreck, the bottom of the ocean, a raft town et cetera. I can't think of a single memorable environment from the latest installments.
    • Make Special Contests fun. I'd love it if they went back to and expanded on the original concept. This part boring dress-up part crummy touch-screen minigame bullshit they've introduced doesn't cut it.
    • Overhaul the combat system completely (something like Valkyrie Profile would be cool), or at least add some sort of action element for added challenge. Think Mario & Luigi. It could be optional for those who want a "pure" Pokemon experience.
    • Stop it with the polygons. There is no good reason whatsoever to have polygonal 3D in a 2D game (except saving money, but main series Pokemon games are guaranteed to make a zillion anyway so there's no need for Game Freak be misers). Give me hand-drawn 2D artwork!

I expect they'll make games about as good as Black and White, which were the most boring main series Pokemon games to date. Completely uninteresting locations, terrible creature designs, "cinematic" camera movement that exposes how shitty the polygonal models really are, horribly annoying loading every time you walk through a door, saving that usually takes 30 seconds or more and so on. The music was the only thing I enjoyed about them.
    Avatar image for shotgunsullivan
    shotgunsullivan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shotgunsullivan

I want the top Pokemon in my party to follow me again and I want a little more strategy in the battles, super effective moves turn the game into boring one hit kills.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By TehFlan
    @echo13791 said:

Chandelure and Probopass are both cool. Quit yo' hatin', fool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.