Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Let's Put Together A Community Tournament

• 67 results
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BraveToaster

Would anyone be interested in a community tournament? I've never tried to set up anything like this, so any feedback will be appreciated.
    Let me know if you want to help set this up. I want this to be as big as the community Street Fighter Tournaments.

Rules:

3 vs 3, flat battle.

Pokémon over level 50 will auto-level down to 50. In addition, because wifi forces Team Preview only take 3 Pokémon with you online and you are not allowed to change your lead.*

Ban list: Mewto, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldo, Meloetta, and Genesect.

No duplicate Pokémon. No two Pokémon may hold the same item.

*If you wish to use Zoroark you may change your lead. However you must have Zoroark showing as the first Pokémon in your party during team preview and are only allowed to substitute the third Pokémon showing as the lead.    

The Deadline for is on April 18,2011 at 11:59pm (EST)

Challenger List:

Burns09
    DrFidget
    Axxol
    Afroman269
    ImmortalSaiyan
    ThaMilkMan
    humpy92
    GunslingerPanda
    razorzxz
    Chavtheworld Rinkalicious
    babblinmule
    neoepoch
    rudeboy217
    yoshimitz707
    Lemoncookie01
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Burns09

Someone already set up a tournament for Black/White last month. But I missed it so I'd be down for another one. Please allow Pokemon from ALL generations.  Also while we're on the subject I think someone should set up a Thread that will act like a lobby for members who want to battle/trade anytime, because due to the time constraints and lower player base of Pokemon here on the site tournaments will be tough to get going. 

DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By DrFidget

A few points. First voting on rules will just confuse and divide the community. At least for the first few tournaments you should have clear cut rules from the get go. Once there’s an established player base then you can start voting on rules.   Second, “Legendary” is an arbitrary term. Are you talking about Pokémon with a total base stat of over 600, event only Pokémon, Pokémon you can only catch one of per cart, etc? 
    Last, if it’s 6 vs. 6 then you’re talking about singles, which is an incredibly harsh game for casual players.  Starting these tournaments as 4 vs. 4 doubles would create a lower barrier for entry, as well as put them closer in line to the official Nintendo tournament format.    

Whatever route you wish to take I'd be more than willing to help set this up, just let me know.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BraveToaster
    @DrFidget said:
    " A few points. First voting on rules will just confuse and divide the community. At least for the first few tournaments you should have clear cut rules from the get go. Once there’s an established player base then you can start voting on rules.   Second, “Legendary” is an arbitrary term. Are you talking about Pokémon with a total base stat of over 600, event only Pokémon, Pokémon you can only catch one of per cart, etc? 
    Last, if it’s 6 vs. 6 then you’re talking about singles, which is an incredibly harsh game for casual players.  Starting these tournaments as 4 vs. 4 doubles would create a lower barrier for entry, as well as put them closer in line to the official Nintendo tournament format.      Whatever route you wish to take I'd be more than willing to help set this up, just let me know. "
    Legendary Pokemon.

Also, I don't want a 4 vs. 4 doubles tournament.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Afroman269

I'm down for this if I have the time.

@Axxol: You should consider a 3 v 3 singles. Having a solid 6 man team can be hard for some beginners. 
    Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By Hardgamer
    @Axxol said:
    " @DrFidget said:
    " A few points. First voting on rules will just confuse and divide the community. At least for the first few tournaments you should have clear cut rules from the get go. Once there’s an established player base then you can start voting on rules.   Second, “Legendary” is an arbitrary term. Are you talking about Pokémon with a total base stat of over 600, event only Pokémon, Pokémon you can only catch one of per cart, etc? 
    Last, if it’s 6 vs. 6 then you’re talking about singles, which is an incredibly harsh game for casual players.  Starting these tournaments as 4 vs. 4 doubles would create a lower barrier for entry, as well as put them closer in line to the official Nintendo tournament format.      Whatever route you wish to take I'd be more than willing to help set this up, just let me know. "
    Legendary Pokemon.

Also, I don't want a 4 vs. 4 doubles tournament.
    "
    I should go get that thing now. I'm crazy right now.
    ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I'm all for this. My pokemon are out for blood.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Afroman269 said:
    " I'm down for this if I have the time.
    @Axxol: You should consider a 3 v 3 singles. Having a solid 6 man team can be hard for some beginners. 
    "
    If someone thinks it's hard, then they don't have to join.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrFidget
    @Axxol: Okay, it's just odd that more than 40% of the Pokemon you are banning are weaker than standard Pokemon. Also I won the last GB singles tourney without taking 1 HP of damage, singles ain't fun. 
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster
    @DrFidget said:
    " @Axxol: Okay, it's just odd that more than 40% of the Pokemon you are banning are weaker than standard Pokemon. Also I won the last GB singles tourney without taking 1 HP of damage, singles ain't fun.  "
    Then what Pokemon should be banned (if any)? 
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DrFidget
    @Axxol:  Typically Arceus, Mewtwo, Ho-oh, Lugia, Dialga, Giratina, Palkia, Zekrom, Rayquaza, Reshiram, Groudon, Kyogre, and Kyurem are considered overpowered. Unreleased Pokémon should also be banned, but after that it really depends on the rest of the format.
    ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By ThaMilkMan

All about some 6v6 I really don't like just 3 and I really don't like doubles (as a tournament thing) singles are always more fun/interesting than doubles (doubles are over in like minutes) anyways as far as banned stuff what Dr. Fidget said...celebi and jirachi are cool but most other legendaries are in fact typically banned. 

no accuracy affecting moves (sand attack, minimize, etc.) 
    Only allowed to put one pokemon on the other team asleep at a time (also known as sleep clause)
    No one hit KO moves, as they are lame.

and....nothing comes to mind, since this is Giantbomb and no other site we can set the rules how we want, no need in trying to follow other formats if we want something fun :)
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrFidget
    @ThaMilkMan:  If you don’t mind me asking, other than them being “lame” why ban accuracy, sleep, and OHKO moves?
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @DrFidget said:
    " @ThaMilkMan:  If you don’t mind me asking, other than them being “lame” why ban accuracy, sleep, and OHKO moves? "
    I thought official rules banned OHKO moves and accuracy moves.

Me participating would depend on when the tourney would take place.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DrFidget
    @FluxWaveZ: Nope, the only official clauses are no 2 Pokemon can hold the same item and you can't have 2 of the same Pokemon on your team.
    humpy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By humpy92

hey im fairly new here, so havnt partcipated in one before, but will be up for it, so count me in!
    ThaMilkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By ThaMilkMan
    @DrFidget:
    I've always played that way with the accuracy and the sleep, the sleep seems to be something that could be easily abused, I get butterfree to sleep poweder your whole team, get some DD's up your done...not fun.
    Same thing with accuracy, they are too easily abusable imo, and serebii,smogon, and most other places where games are played both casually and for serious agree...so yeah
    OHK moves same thing...no one wants to see fissure hit all day long...idk, you can vote those out, but I think they are fair rules and make matches force more creativity and thought

Doctor_D2R2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Doctor_D2R2
    @ThaMilkMan:  Exactly, what this guy said DrFidget, i've played in quite a few pokemon tourneys on smogon and pokemon online and the such, and every one i have played in have all used sleep clause, accuracy clause, and OHKO clause, nobody wants to see breloom spore the crap outta everybody all day long. Also if this happens im in.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DrFidget
    @ThaMilkMan: @Doctor_D2R2:  That’s just because Smogon banned them in gen 3 and everyone apes Smogon. They still use it because they don’t know how to play without it. Trust me none of those things are hard to counter.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @DrFidget said:
    " @ThaMilkMan: @Doctor_D2R2:  That’s just because Smogon banned them in gen 3 and everyone apes Smogon. They still use it because they don’t know how to play without it. Trust me none of those things are hard to counter. "
    This tourney is supposed to be noob friendly, right? I'm guessing most of us aren't pros at this and are just looking to have a fun time. We don't all know how to effectively counter these tactics that are widely considered OP enough to ban in several widely recognized tournaments so it would probably be best if our GB tourney also banned those tactics.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By DrFidget
    @FluxWaveZ:  Exactly. The moves were banned in the first place because they rely almost entirely on luck or “hax”, instead of skill and training. Effectively to weed out “noobs”. But this isn’t Smogon or Skarmbliss and not everyone has access to fully EV’d Drizzle Politoads, so if someone wants to Scarf a Cryogonal and spam Sheer Cold because that’s the best they can do I say let them.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster
    @DrFidget: So held items should be allowed?
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DrFidget
    @Axxol: I don't see why not.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BraveToaster
    @DrFidget said:
    " @Axxol: I don't see why not. "
    Just curious. I've never been in a tournament.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DrFidget
    @Axxol:  Ah, well generally there are two schools of thought on the topic. There’s the Smogon rules where anything goes with the exception of hax items like Brightpowder, and Soul Dew is banned for being to powerful. Then there’s the Nintendo/TPCI rules which state you can’t hold two of the same item.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BraveToaster
    @DrFidget:  @Afroman269:  @FluxWaveZ: I would appreciate it if you help with setting this up, since you have experience. I don't want to screw anything up.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrFidget
    @Axxol: No problem. Whatever you need.
    WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By WickedCestus

Man, serious Pokemon talk going on in this thread. As a child I was crazy about Pokemon but you guys take it to a whole new level.

Kudos to you. Good luck with your tournament. I'm just gonna stick to Starcraft though thankyouverymuch.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BraveToaster
    @DrFidget said:

" @Axxol: No problem. Whatever you need. "

You and the rest of the guys come up with the rules and I'll add them to the OP. 
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DrFidget

How about we keep it simple.

Singles. 

Flat Battle. 

It auto levels everyone to 50, but forces 3 on 3. I think the auto ban list for Flat is Mewto, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldo, Meloetta, and Genesect but I could be mistaken.

Furthermore I propose that we all only take 3 Pokémon with us into the wi-fi room and not change the order, that way less experienced players won’t be counter-teamed.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Afroman269
    @DrFidget I'm down for this. Do the guys have to be below lvl 50 though? Most of my crew is 60+
    Burns09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Burns09
    @Afroman269: When it auto levels to 50 it brings 51+ down to level 50.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Afroman269
    @Burns09 Ok cool, thanks
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Saves me doing another one. I'm in. Have a couple of beasts that I've IV-bred and EV-trained who I've yet to bring out to play.

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By razorzxz

Yep definitely count me in. Also could you make it rotation battles, they are seriously fun believe it or not.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By yoshimitz707

This sounds cool but from this topic it looks like DrFidget is just going to sweep the whole tournament.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BraveToaster
    @razorzxz said:
    "Also could you make it rotation battles, they are seriously fun believe it or not. "
    No.
    DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DrFidget
    @yoshimitz707:  Don’t worry I’ll restrain myself. I’ll only use unevolved Pokémon or something like that.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BraveToaster

The OP has been updated with rules and current participants. Let me know if you want to join.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#40  Edited By Bollard

I'm interested in joining, any idea when this will kick off? Just in case I'm busy or something.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By rinkalicous

I'd like to join as well. I've been getting pretty comprehensively wrecked whenever I take my dudes online, but from the sounds of things everyone else is fairly beginner, so I'd like to give it a shot.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Chavtheworld said:
    " I'm interested in joining, any idea when this will kick off? Just in case I'm busy or something. "
    It will most likely take place on a Saturday. We'll vote once we get everyone.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Bollard
    @Axxol said:
    " @Chavtheworld said:
    " I'm interested in joining, any idea when this will kick off? Just in case I'm busy or something. "
    It will most likely take place on a Saturday. We'll vote once we get everyone. "
    Awesome sounds good thanks, it'll be US time right? Hope its not gunna be too late in the evening, as being in the UK it could get well after midnight easily. Hmm I'm still interested but will have to just check date/time when its up. I'll keep checking this threaddddd! 
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By neoepoch

I wonder how effective a sandstorm team would be now, seeing how they are the most prevalent team in the metagame right now anyway...maybe I should try using one for this tourney.

Also, sleep clause NEEDS to be in effect, especially because of the up in power sleep got in this generation and the low numbers of pokemon battling. If you hide a Breloom behind a substitute on a switch, then it can just spore all day long and effectively win the game. The change in sleep mechanics are also what really made sleep a real problem in Gen V. Before, what happens when you sleep is that your pokemon has an invisible counter that would tick down from a number between 2-5 every turn, and when it hit zero it would wake up. This counter would remember the number when you switched and would continue to count down. In Gen V, the counter resets anytime you switch. So if you had waited out a couple of turns of sleep but had to switch (or was roared out) your counter would go back to the value it started at. Effectively that Pokemon was as good as KOed. This isn't as big of a deal in 6v6, but in 3v3 that would effectively be a HUGE detriment to your team.

Accuracy moves are an annoyance and I hate them more than anything ever in the history of time (losing in the battle tower or subway due to one double team making you miss and your opponent setting up 5 more on your consecutive misses is the WORST), and the moves that are available to counter them are generally pretty bad or on not so good 'mons. (With the possible exception of aerial ace, shockwave, and shadow punch, but there are better moves to give to mons) But this is a personal opinion, and you can do what you want.

One of the dumbest things Gamefreak could have done was to limit the flat battle to 3v3 and actually take out the option to autolevel 6 guys to 100. I'm still in awe that that happened.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By babblinmule

I might join, but then I really have zero desire to do any of that IV or EV stuff, so I will probably get steamrolled haha.

DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By DrFidget
    @neoepoch:  I’m not sure on your level of experience in 3v3, so I apologize if what I’m about to say sounds condescending. Unlike 6v6, 3v3 is not a game of switches. Entry hazards are almost useless, and strategies that require multiple turns of setup (Like SubSpore Breloom) will always lose to fast attackers. Also with only 3  Pokémon on a team a Lum Berry is just as good as Sleep Clause.
    neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By neoepoch
    @DrFidget: Ah, I only play 6v6 so I wasn't as sure about 3v3, and I was making assumptions. Yeah, it would seem like 3v3 is defintiley a much faster metagame than 6v6 (even in this hyper offensive meta we live in now). I should have figured that there would be less switching in 3v3. Meh, I'd have to mull things over about 3v3 anyway.

(Also you were not condescending at all, it was fairly informative....also for some reason I totally forgot about lum).

On a different note, what do you think about dream world abilities?
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By Lemmycaution217

I will participate once I actually finish my first playthrough.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Chavtheworld said:

Awesome sounds good thanks, it'll be US time right? Hope its not gunna be too late in the evening, as being in the UK it could get well after midnight easily. Hmm I'm still interested but will have to just check date/time when its up. I'll keep checking this threaddddd!  "
    I'm afraid that there is no such thing as US Time.  :)

The time and date will be announced once we get all participants. 
    yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#50  Edited By yoshimitz707

Put me on the list!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.