Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Websites hit with copyright infringement notices.

DrFidget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DrFidget
    Pokémon fansites pokebeach.com and serebii.net were served with copyright infringement notices from Nintendo for posting screenshots of Pokémon Black and White. You can read the full story here, but here is a choice quote from the email the sites received:

“We recently learned that you have posted screenshots and other protected content from the Pokémon Black and Pokémon White games to your website at http://pokebeach.com. While Nintendo appreciates your interest in and support of the Pokémon game series, your publication of this content infringes Nintendo’s copyrights in violation of federal law. Your activity also has the potential to cause substantial damage to Nintendo, and leaves Nintendo with no choice but to take steps to protect its intellectual property rights.

We have accordingly submitted a copyright infringement notice to your domain registrar under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, and anticipate that your website will be taken down shortly. We encourage you to immediately remove from your website all graphics, screenshots, and other protected content taken from the Pokémon Black and Pokémon White games. Going forward, you must also refrain from posting any screenshots, videos, or other content that infringes Nintendo’s rights in the Pokémon series or any other game.”

I could understand filing a claim like this if a game wasn’t announced yet, or still a work in progress, but the games is fucking out already! These sites have been promoting Pokémon games for years, for free, why come after them now? Also, what happens when they learn Giant Bomb has over 200 images on the site, should we start taking them down, or put more up?
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Dany

The game is releases on japan and people can buy it but it is against the law to pat pics of it?? What the he'll??

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By wunder_

Haha, that's silly.

SenorSausage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SenorSausage

Sounds ridiculous to me, but I guess Nintendo has a point. The game has only been released in Japan as of now and they certainly have the right to try and keep things, more or less, under wraps. The big question is why? It's not impossible for hardcore pokemon fans to get the game, regardless of region, and existence of the game isn't some big secret. It is after all, out.

The only reasonable explanations is that there is some sort of disease that resides in images of the game, a pokeflu if you will. It will probably take months before they can isolate the gene that citizens of japan apparently have and find a cure, otherwise the consequences could be dire

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

Stupid, bullyish, unheard of, idiotic...  what else...

Nintendo relies on their lawyers too much.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#6  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, screenshots cause soooo much harm. I know that whenever I see a screenshot, I'm getting the full experience and no longer have any reason to purchase the game.

Serious, fucking screenshots?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By BraveToaster

Lmao. 
    Pokemon is serious business.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane

This seems like it'll do more harm than good.
    Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LordCmdrStryker
    Screenshots are not copyright infringement.  The DMCA is also shit, but we already knew that. 

" Reproduction for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship or research is not copyright infringement." 

Sounds like Nintendo's lawyers are bored and wanted to mess with some dudes.  I wish they could fight this off, but this is Nintendo so they'll probably just run over the poor little fansite.  Fucking DMCA and fucking US government for allowing that shit.  And fuck Nintendo for filing a DMCA request with the fucking ISP to have their website pulled down with no notice.  Fuck you, Nintendo, fuck you.
    halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By halberdierv2

that's ridiculous, and i hope it backfires in nintendo's face. the game is already released, there should be no reason to have to information treated as infringed.

Avatar image for lordcmdrstryker
    LordCmdrStryker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LordCmdrStryker
    @Halberdierv2:  That's 100% true and if Nintendo had any sense they'd just let it the fuck go, but considering how shitty the DMCA is and how broadly it's written, it can be used to justify pretty much any type of bitching that any company wants to do, even about screenshots which in the end can only help your game.  I mean, screenshots?!?  COME ON, NINTENDO!
    turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By turbo_toaster

Serebii has been around for fucking ever, if this were taken any further the first question asked of Nintendo would be "Why didn't you do this years ago?". Seems like intimidation more than anything.

halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By halberdierv2
    @LordCmdrStryker: this is the first time ive seen them complain about something as stupid as this, ive been following sites like serebii for a long time and this is the first time some thing like this has come up. depending on the images, it might be because they were taken from an emulator, but that isnt necessarily the case, especually if some of the admins of the sites have a devkit DS.
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By wefwefasdf

Hasn't Nintendo been doing this a lately? 

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

It somewhat kind of not really makes sense for Pokebeach, who apparently admitted to using a rom to gather their info. It's tougher to understand about Serebii. I'd have to be less ignorant of the convoluted legal system to understand how posting images and information covering their game could be legally threatened. It seems like that falls under fair use terms. Even if they have legal standing, it then falls on simple stupidity. I watch coverage of the games on Serebii and it only increases my interest in buying the games, and I own every single game... 

Yeah, it's the "why now?" that makes that even less understandable. I've been visiting Serebii since before the Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire years, and they've never had a problem.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

More fun times from family friendly Nintendo!

thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By thwak

Bulbapedia still has everything up. 

I think nintendo will take back these letters. The massive backlash this is causing can't be good for the companies image. Besides, all these websites have to do is point out that the lawyers could be facing perjury charges if the DMCA submission is incorrect. Once you point that out, the people who file the DMCA usually pussy out. Because once someone is faced with jail time, they actually take time to reconsider what they've done.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.