Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 12, 2009

Remakes of the original Game Boy Color games, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are given updated graphics and gameplay on the Nintendo DS.

Catching 'em all?

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Von

Just wondering, is it possible to catch all the pokémons if one owns and completes both HG and SS or you're actually forced to trade for some, and/or get them from earlier pokémon games?

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shadows_kill

you will have to trade in order to get all of them.

Inf225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Inf225

No, you're gonna need a bunch of games. You need either Fire Red or Leaf Green, Emerald, Diamond or Pearl, and Platinum. And that's the bare minimum, and I still think you might be a few short.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DCFGS3

You need to trade to get some to evolve I think, and I'm not sure all the RBY pokemon appear in Gold/Silver.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By aaox

You'd need to trade to get 'em all. I have at least one of all the generations, so I could PROBABLY get all 493. That's if I had about 400 lives to waste on it.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Von

Yikes.. but I suspected as much. Shifty Nintendo, stroking my collector-gene like that. Grrr. 

Thanks for the answers!

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By pakx

you can potentially obtain all 493 if you own the following games:

Heart Gold 
    Emerald
    Fire Red
    Platinum

you'll still need to trade out using the global auction feature, you'll have to go through all four games, and you'll need one or two pokemon that are exclusive to Ruby, but that aught to cover it.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By dbz1995

In the alst game, if you completed that Pokedex you got the National Pokedex. That's right.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah you need FireRed/LeafGreen, a DS with a GBA slot, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HG/SS. Plus a bunch of cheats for the exclusive pokemon that you can only get at nintendo events (like Arceus, who hasn't even been given out, to my knowledge). Realistically catching them all is tough, but HG/SS DOES give you a lot of pokemon, most of the significant legendaries are there as well as a lot of older pokemon that haven't appeared in other games for a while. 

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Luke

Isn't Celebi impossible to get legitly, without going to a Nintendo Hosted Event? 

@XII_Sniper:  They were giving Arceus out at Toys 'R' Us in November 2009.  My girlfriend and I each got one :) 

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FacelessVixen

To get them all (legitimately), you'll probably need all version of the games, a trading buddy or another GBA and/or DS, and to go to special out-of-game events in order to get a specific item with will enable you to catch a specific legendary Pokemon.

And with that I say, "Fuck it", and just try to train all of my monsters to level 100.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chirag4
    @pakx said:
    " you can potentially obtain all 493 if you own the following games:  Heart Gold  Emerald Fire Red Platinum  you'll still need to trade out using the global auction feature, you'll have to go through all four games, and you'll need one or two pokemon that are exclusive to Ruby, but that aught to cover it. "
    That is fucking bullshit, I miss the ol' 151
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJOR64
    @Luke said:
    " Isn't Celebi impossible to get legitly, without going to a Nintendo Hosted Event? "
    Celebi is impossible to get outside of Japan.  Here is a page on it over at Serebii.
    voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By voodooterror
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Yeah you need FireRed/LeafGreen, a DS with a GBA slot, Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and HG/SS. Plus a bunch of cheats for the exclusive pokemon that you can only get at nintendo events (like Arceus, who hasn't even been given out, to my knowledge). Realistically catching them all is tough, but HG/SS DOES give you a lot of pokemon, most of the significant legendaries are there as well as a lot of older pokemon that haven't appeared in other games for a while.  "
    Arceus has been, i got it last week
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB
    @Chirag4:  You get absolutely nothing for collecting all of them, so while I'm not going to defend the stupid money-making scheme to get you to buy multiple versions of the game, it still isn't as big of a deal as people make it sound. You get Pokemon appropriate to the game you bought, and you'lll never have need of different Pokemon to beat the game. If you're that crazy about the series,  you'll probably already own more than one.
    Avatar image for livingitlarge22
    Livingitlarge22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Livingitlarge22

Why collect all 493 when all you need is six Charizards! RAWR!

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FacelessVixen
    @AndrewB said:
    " @Chirag4:  You get absolutely nothing for collecting all of them, so while I'm not going to defend the stupid money-making scheme to get you to buy multiple versions of the game, it still isn't as big of a deal as people make it sound. You get Pokemon appropriate to the game you bought, and you'll never have need of different Pokemon to beat the game. If you're that crazy about the series,  you'll probably already own more than one. "
    This man speaks the truth.

But going outside the scope of the games: if someone collects games as some sort of hobby, then that someone will buy the additional versions.
    czekers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By czekers

to be honest' I've never played Pokemons to get all of them. I was always concentrating on main PKMN and 5 more (they usually were legendary). It's a good idea to play this time to CATCH 'EM ALL!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By toowalrus

I don't think you can get Mew, Celebii, Uh... whatever some of the other event-only pokemon are out there. Do you still need the Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc for Gamecube to get Jarachi? I've got that.

Chirag4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Chirag4
    @AndrewB:  I get what you mean but if I was 11 years old today and buying a Pokémon game, I'd sure as hell like to be able to see everything the game has to offer without buying more games, you know? Maybe I'm being mildly OCD but when I bought a game at that age, I wanted to be assured that it was all I needed and I could easily get everything in the game by simply trading with friends.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By EpicSteve

You would have to trade to get specific Pokemon, starters, and to evolve certain Pokemon like Kadabra.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By JJOR64
    @TooWalrus:   GameStop recently had an event to get Jirachi.  You could use that bonus disc if you want to get Jirachi as well.  My friend has that disc.  I remember the day he bought Colosseum.  Good stuff.   :P
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By toowalrus
    @JJOR64 said:

" @TooWalrus:   GameStop recently had an event to get Jirachi.  You could use that bonus disc if you want to get Jirachi as well.  My friend has that disc.  I remember the day he bought Colosseum.  Good stuff.   :P "

Yeah that was a hell of a game. I've still got the bonus disc, although my gamecube won't load discs anymore. Can you use a Wii with the GBA/Gamecube connector cable?
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By JJOR64
    @TooWalrus:   I'm pretty sure you can use it with your Wii.  Most of the Gamecube accessories work with Wii.
    macandcheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By macandcheese
    @JJOR64 said:
    " @TooWalrus:   I'm pretty sure you can use it with your Wii.  Most of the Gamecube accessories work with Wii. "
    yes you can, I caught all 493 and I used the bonus disk to get Jirachi, as long as you have the cable and a copy of Ruby or Sapphire, (Emerald does not work.) then you are good to go

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.