Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 12, 2009

Remakes of the original Game Boy Color games, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are given updated graphics and gameplay on the Nintendo DS.

If I've never played a Pokemon game, is it worth starting now?

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By mariussmit

I'm 26 years of age and I've never played a Pokemon game. Is it worth trying one now or are these games mostly meant for kids? If it is worth it, where should I start? I own a Nintendo DS. If you're wondering what my tastes are like have a look at my lists on my profile page. 

I'd appreciate any positive input. 

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DarkShaper

I  can't comment on Black and White, but the Pokemon games are meant for kids so a good chunk of the game is fairly easy it has plenty of depth if you want to get into it with EV training IV beading and the like. So it all depends on if you plan on playing alone or with others.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @murse2008:  If you know other people that play, maybe. Otherwise it depends on how much of a completionist you are. Playing by yourself could be expensive and time-consuming. As far as it goes, they're enjoyable RPGs with solid mechanics.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Kyreo

It's a great franchise, but I feel that change in the series is soon coming and it may not be best suited for newcomers.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Clinkz

You probably can skip it or just pick of Soul Silver or Red and Blue just to see what the hype was back in the day.

riko321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By riko321

I'd say go for it, I knew 30+year olds who played pokemon in their spare time. I wouldn't suggest trying to pick up on the cartoon series but I'd say start with Heartgold or Soul Silver for DS. It's more advanced but it gives you a good look on how the Generation II games were. I'm 19 and I've been playing pokemon since Red. Yellow & Blue came out on GBC, I stopped playing pokemon for awhile due to getting into "age appropriate" activities but I've played just about every pokemon game with the exception of the n64, gamecube and wii pokemon games. but yeah, I'd definitely try HG or SS as I mentioned earlier. And pretty much like DarkSharper said, Pokemon games can be way more advanced and detailed than just sticking to the storyline, I love the breeding aspect and the IV's/EV's and all of that. So yeah, pick up HG or SS. If you don't like it (which I doubt you won't like it), you could always trade it in or sell it.

TorgoGrooves89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By TorgoGrooves89

Hell yeah, the Pokemon games are fantastic. Age has nothing to do with it. They are extremely addictive and far more detailed than you might initially think. There can be quite a lot of strategy involved.
    Bandit_Fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Bandit_Fox

This is coming from a fellow 26 year old casual/regular gamer. 

It looks like you're into some JRPGs, so I'd say go for it. The story isn't terribly great, but it is a fun enough and they did create a terribly fun/addictive formula in trying to catch 'em all. It looks like there is a shift in gameplay style, coming, so why not get a taste of the old ways before the new stuff comes? Playing the one Pokemon game to death (Blue) was enough for me, but I have played others to the completion of the storyline since then.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Kiemoe

I feel like I might not give great advice, because I've played just about every Pokemon rpg game, which gets me used to their flaws and shortcomings. I've been playing since I was 7, when my taste in games was, admittedly, less refined. So I'm not so sure how those games will feel to someone who hasn't been blinded by the magic for 12 years. All I know is that I love Pokemon :b

Spiral_Stars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Spiral_Stars

Get HeartGold or SoulSilver. They're both great games.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By lead_farmer

Haven't played since silver version, but it was fun.  It's one of my favorite plane ride games.

mariussmit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By mariussmit

Ok, you've convinced me. I'll add SoulSilver to my list of games to get then and once I've completed it I'll throw up a review with my perspective as well.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dbz1995

Not playing a Pokemon game is blasphemy. They're definitely one of the most addictive games out there. Play it. You'll really enjoy it.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By peritus
    @murse2008: 

In my opinion Heartgold/Soulsilver are good starting points, since its a remake of one of the classics that made the pokemon formula work.
    And you really should try it out, pokemon aside they are extremely solid rpg's on their own merits.
    I'd start now with HeatGold/SoulSilver or if you have a GBA maybe firered/leafgreen ( remakes of the very first games )  so you can experience the system that made it great before you experience the newer additions.

But at any rate, i recommend playing the series, but keep it on the handhelds.     The console games are more for pokefans only, they wouldn't work on their own merits.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.