Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Sep 12, 2009

Remakes of the original Game Boy Color games, Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver are given updated graphics and gameplay on the Nintendo DS.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT + Thoughts About The Game So Far

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By JJOR64

It's been a long time since I did an actual blog post over here at Giant Bomb, so why not make it about Pokemon!

Feraligatr is a bad ass with Ice Beam, but where do I get it?
    So I was happily playing SoulSilver.  Everything is going all nice and good.  Then I starting thinking about what moves I wanted to give my Feraligatr and started thinking about giving him Ice Beam, one of the best Ice moves in the game.  So I looked at the back of my guide and looked up how to get Ice Beam, which is a TM, and it says I need 10,000 coins to get it at the Game Corner.  I said "Fuck that", but the guide says that's the only way to get the move.  Then I started looking around in the guide and just noticed something.  Where the fuck is the Kanto section of the guide?  I was a little bummed that there was no Kanto section.

So I decided to go to Serebii.net to check out how you get Ice Beam in Diamond/Pearl/ Platinum.  I was looking around and it said it's a TM, which I have already used in both Diamond and Platinum (I don't have Pearl), and at the Game Corner as well in the games.  So I deiced to check out the HG/SS part of the site when I found out that Ice Beam is also available at Seafoam Islands, which is in Kanto.  So I started thinking "It would have been nice if my guide said it was in Kanto."  So I started looking to see if there were other HG/SS guides besides the official one, then I found this on Amazon:

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?
     WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?

Are you fucking serious?  THEY HAD TO MAKE ANOTHER GUIDE JUST FOR KANTO!  YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!  And guess when this guide comes out?  NEXT MONTH!  BY THE TIME THE GUIDE IS OUT, I WILL BE DONE WITH KANTO ALREADY!  FUCK YOU AND YOU SECOND GUIDE NINTENDO!

If I'm still playing the game by the time this guide comes out, I might end up getting it.  Diamond and Pearl had a similar issue too, but the other guide was just the national dex, which I didn't need.

The lesson here?  MAKE ONE HUGE GUIDE AND NOT TWO SEPARATE GUIDES!

/rant

So I got that rant out of the way so I'll share some thoughts about the game so far. 

Is the remake for these 10 year old games any good?
    So far SoulSilver has been fantastic.  With this being a remake of Gold/Silver, arguably the best Pokemon games ever made, how can you not like these games?  First off, the game looks great by using the same graphics engine as D/P/PL.  It's really nice to see the old 8Bit Gameboy Color games in a colorful new dimension.  Next is the music.  The remixed music is fantastic.  It sounds really nice and the remixes make the game sound new and refreshing.  Let's not forget about the huge game world.  G/S were the only games to feature two regions and with two regions makes the game huge and lengthy.  The second region is back.

Along with updating the old games, there are some new features as well.  One of the first features you will notice is that the first Pokemon in your party will follow you, like Pikachu did in Pokemon Yellow.  The next big new feature is the Pokewalker, a pedometer.  You can transfer one Pokemon to it and while you walk around in real life, your Pokemon on it gains levels.  There are also Pokemon on there you can catch and items you can obtain as well.  There is also the Pokeathlon.  It is a set of minigames where you compete with your Pokemon.  The game also has some of the old legendary Pokemon that are now obtainable in the remakes like the Birds and Mewtwo.  There are also a few new routes and the Safari Zone is now in Johto, which is also customizable.  The most noticeable update for me is the new touchscreen interface for the menus.  Every menu in the game now has touchscreen support and it actually works well, unlike D/P/PL. There are also some other new features which are small like the berry pot and some other useful items.

This is easily the best game to come out so far this year for DS and will be one of the best RPGs on DS for a long time.  I've already sucked in 12+ hours and I will keep playing it for many more hours.

Final Thoughts :  You like the Pokemon games?  You will love this game.  Want to try out Pokemon for the first time?  This is the best place to start.

Thanks for reading my rant and my thoughts and hope you guys have a good day!

P.S.  Perfect Dark is out this week on XBLA.  Another great Nintendo game seeing the light of day once more.  I better get some MS points.   :P

P.P.S.   YO' SNORLAX EFFIN OWNS!

P.P.P.S.  IT'S PIKACHU!

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJOR64

It's been a long time since I did an actual blog post over here at Giant Bomb, so why not make it about Pokemon!

So I was happily playing SoulSilver.  Everything is going all nice and good.  Then I starting thinking about what moves I wanted to give my Feraligatr and started thinking about giving him Ice Beam, one of the best Ice moves in the game.  So I looked at the back of my guide and looked up how to get Ice Beam, which is a TM, and it says I need 10,000 coins to get it at the Game Corner.  I said "Fuck that", but the guide says that's the only way to get the move.  Then I started looking around in the guide and just noticed something.  Where the fuck is the Kanto section of the guide?  I was a little bummed that there was no Kanto section.

So I decided to go to Serebii.net to check out how you get Ice Beam in Diamond/Pearl/ Platinum.  I was looking around and it said it's a TM, which I have already used in both Diamond and Platinum (I don't have Pearl), and at the Game Corner as well in the games.  So I deiced to check out the HG/SS part of the site when I found out that Ice Beam is also available at Seafoam Islands, which is in Kanto.  So I started thinking "It would have been nice if my guide said it was in Kanto."  So I started looking to see if there were other HG/SS guides besides the official one, then I found this on Amazon:

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?
     WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS!?

Are you fucking serious?  THEY HAD TO MAKE ANOTHER GUIDE JUST FOR KANTO!  YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!  And guess when this guide comes out?  NEXT MONTH!  BY THE TIME THE GUIDE IS OUT, I WILL BE DONE WITH KANTO ALREADY!  FUCK YOU AND YOU SECOND GUIDE NINTENDO!

If I'm still playing the game by the time this guide comes out, I might end up getting it.  Diamond and Pearl had a similar issue too, but the other guide was just the national dex, which I didn't need.

The lesson here?  MAKE ONE HUGE GUIDE AND NOT TWO SEPARATE GUIDES!

/rant

So I got that rant out of the way so I'll share some thoughts about the game so far. 

So far SoulSilver has been fantastic.  With this being a remake of Gold/Silver, arguably the best Pokemon games ever made, how can you not like these games?  First off, the game looks great by using the same graphics engine as D/P/PL.  It's really nice to see the old 8Bit Gameboy Color games in a colorful new dimension.  Next is the music.  The remixed music is fantastic.  It sounds really nice and the remixes make the game sound new and refreshing.  Let's not forget about the huge game world.  G/S were the only games to feature two regions and with two regions makes the game huge and lengthy.  The second region is back.

Along with updating the old games, there are some new features as well.  One of the first features you will notice is that the first Pokemon in your party will follow you, like Pikachu did in Pokemon Yellow.  The next big new feature is the Pokewalker, a pedometer.  You can transfer one Pokemon to it and while you walk around in real life, your Pokemon on it gains levels.  There are also Pokemon on there you can catch and items you can obtain as well.  There is also the Pokeathlon.  It is a set of minigames where you compete with your Pokemon.  The game also has some of the old legendary Pokemon that are now obtainable in the remakes like the Birds and Mewtwo.  There are also a few new routes and the Safari Zone is now in Johto, which is also customizable.  The most noticeable update for me is the new touchscreen interface for the menus.  Every menu in the game now has touchscreen support and it actually works well, unlike D/P/PL. There are also some other new features which are small like the berry pot and some other useful items.

This is easily the best game to come out so far this year for DS and will be one of the best RPGs on DS for a long time.  I've already sucked in 12+ hours and I will keep playing it for many more hours.

Final Thoughts :  You like the Pokemon games?  You will love this game.  Want to try out Pokemon for the first time?  This is the best place to start.

Thanks for reading my rant and my thoughts and hope you guys have a good day!

P.S.  Perfect Dark is out this week on XBLA.  Another great Nintendo game seeing the light of day once more.  I better get some MS points.   :P

P.P.S.   YO' SNORLAX EFFIN OWNS!

P.P.P.S.  IT'S PIKACHU!

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By turbomonkey138

If you ask me ..poke'mon went down hill after gold and silver ...so this game is right up my ally :D:D:D

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

Lol about the guide. The D/P guide did that too, though maybe that was just in the official versions (which I bought...I only wanted the pokedex but bought the first guide by mistake first) 

Damn it, I wish Amazon would have shipped this earlier. I want it to come already.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stang

This is my favorite game of all time, real talk. My Renchu will own your Snelnester.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5  Edited By demontium
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " If you ask me ..poke'mon went down hill after gold and silver ...so this game is right up my ally :D:D:D "
    I thought D/P/Plat was majorly competitive, if you got good at it. 

Loved it, but of course the first 2 generations where the best.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By tebbit

"GOD DAMMIT, AWHHHHHHH!" 

hehe. 

Does this game still have the craziness that is the day / night cycle? I havn't really been keeping up with Pokemon either, have other games had that!?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JJOR64
    @Tebbit:   The day/night cycle is back.  The only other games that used it were Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.
    pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By pakx
    @JJOR64:
    you know, all that ranting is utterly useless. just use this:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page

it's the pokemon wiki, and has every piece of info on every single aspect of the games, cards, cartoon and sofourth one could want. it makes buying those guides utterly fucking useless.

you  want to know some shit about ice beam?
     http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/TM13 knock yourself out. 

turns out you can find Ice Beam on the seafoam islands. cheers.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JJOR64
    @pakx:   I mentioned it was on Seafoam Islands in my blog.  Did you read it?
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I never buy official guides. There are plenty of free online ones for me to use if I really need it.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#11  Edited By LordAndrew
    @JJOR64: It comes pretty early in the blog, but clearly not early enough. Next time mention it even earlier. Like the first sentence. :P
    SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SilvarusLupus

I like guides. I'm kinda a guide whore. V_V 
    I'll just get the other guide when it comes out.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I consider Gold/Silver/Crystal to be the penultimate games in the series, and although I'm not really much of a Pokemon fan anymore I will no doubt pick one of these up in the near future... right after I get the Dragon Age expansion... and Super Street Fighter IV. Dang.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous

I'm confused as to why you would need a guide when you could use bulbapedia or smogon.

Also, you should be teaching Feraligatr Ice Punch and not Ice Beam, since it has 105 Attack vs 79 Special Attack.

Jolly Feraligatr @ Life Orb ( 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed )
    -Swords Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Ice Punch
    -Earthquake

Set up with Swords Dance and sweep.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By ImperiousRix

"It's GIRUGAMESH!" 
    But seriously, two guides?  Considering that Pokemon is one of those games that it is actually extremely beneficial to get a guide for, the fact that they split the guides like that seems somewhat exploitative. 
    Still, glad to see it hasn't effected your enjoyment of the game.  I myself am really liking it, if not taking a more leisurely and methodical pace through it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JJOR64
    @ajamafalous:   Well, I was going to teach it Ice Punch, but my guide didn't say it could learn it.  So maybe I will teach it Ice Punch then since it's Attack is better then is Sp. Attack.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ajamafalous
    @JJOR64: Turns out it learns it through breeding. So basically you're boned unless you feel like releveling a new one.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By JJOR64
    @ajamafalous:   I can learn it at Battle Frontier.       Linkage
    mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mr_faraday

Edit: Nevermind you got it.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ajamafalous
    @JJOR64:@Mr_Faraday: Confirmed. All is well, then.
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Emilio

I see. Well that's all interesting in all. 

I hope my copy comes soon. :(

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FCKSNAP
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By aaox

I got the Nintendo Power Gold and Silver version guide. It's the only  guide from nintendo. And it featured both regions, even if the Kanto region guide was half the size. Dude, I love Pokémon.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Pepsiman

But the real question is... what's your opinion of Joey and his Ratata?

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kagekage

Yay! Another remake cause we occasionally enjoy a break from sodomizing ourselves over making new godamn Pokemon! 

Now that that's out, this looks like a pretty good game, 'cept I stopped playing Pokemon in the 9th grade. Bad memories of rehab.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sora_thekey

That's why I just play Pokemon World Online.... sticks to basics!
    drowsap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#27  Edited By drowsap

i believe ice beam is an egg move just breed it to a new totodile  but i guess u dont want to go through all that 
    Also  Snorlax   OWNS

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Wow, I actually had the guide pre-ordered.  just went to check my order and sure enough it actually says "Johto guide".  I simply assumed that it included everything.
    Order cancelled..  thanks very much for pointing this out.  Good thing it's not out over here until the 26th.

Sure there's two regions in this game but Sinnoh in Diamond/Pearl was twice the size of any of the previous regions, and probably still bigger than those two combined.  The game isn't that big. Trying to sell two seperate guides for one game is outrageous.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By samcotts

I know I'm repeating what you've already said along with everyone else, but Bulbapedia is so fecking great it deserves another mention.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By RobotHamster

I'm loving soul silver so far!!!!!!!!!! 20 hours in already.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By PureRok

Every time I read 'pedometer' I always think of something like thermometer, except it rises the closer you get to a pedophile.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.